BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

monitor questions

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1monitor questions Empty monitor questions Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Hey guys! I am thinking about getting some in ear monitors for live gigs, as I'm sick and tired of floor wedges.

Do any of you use them now? If so, any recomendations?

Also, pro's and con's you've experienced.

Lastly, who's got the best prices on them. I don't want to break the bank! Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance!

Russ

2monitor questions Empty Re: monitor questions Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Russ,

Shure makes a really nice in-ear setup. It's what Billy uses. As for at least one pro and one con, Pro: Better sound isolation. Con: The feeling of isolation. They take some getting used to. Another good thing is the elimination of feedback.

I hear you can get a pretty good set for around $300.00.

That's all the info I have, buddy. I'm sure Billy could tell you much more.

Happy hunting.

Don.

3monitor questions Empty Re: monitor questions Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Russ,

I've used the in-ear monitors a couple of times- the Shure ones D Slam was reffering to. He's right in that you can feel isolated at times with them, and it could take some getting used to. The upside is that you don't have to absorb as many decibals in your ears cause you don't have to crank things up to hear.

Other factors that will play into the sound quality you get will be how your instruments are miked, and the type of sound board you use or pre- amps eq's etc.. (God forbid- a crappy soundman!)

When I used them the sound was boxy and not very flattering to my drums, or my inspiration cause it was so different than what I was used to with the floor wedges.

If I were to get some, I would want to have control over the eq-ing, and mix levels myself from behind the kit which I didn't have when i had my experience with them.

I know you said you didn't want to break the bank with them, but it is your ears your talking about. If I were to invest, i would go with these-- http://www.futuresonics.com/earmonitors/index.html

But I personally like a good floor wedge so i can feel the bottom end rumble and the movement of the air. Good luck with your search i wish i could be more informative, but that's all the experience I've had with this-

D.L.

4monitor questions Empty Re: monitor questions Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Thanks guys! That's a GREAT help and a good start to my research. I'll keep ya' posted on how I make out!

Russ

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum