BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Louis Bellson

+10
rarebit
Admin (Pete)
Daveonskins
woofus
Harris K.
fusionfunk
Ted E. Bear
stephane
Colin
boomer
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Louis Bellson Empty Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:08 am

boomer

Well, we just lost a major part of the "drum world franchise" folks: Louis B. is gone. He left us on Valentines day, this past saturday. Two people I love dearly had events on that day, he was one of them. the other, my grand daughter who enjoyed a birthday. So, as one makes the transition that we all must make at some point, another moves up to fill the space left behind and enjoy her day in the sun. Louis showed me much in terms of style, grace, fortitude and determination, just to name a few positive elements of his character.
Sweet Lou: I miss you already........ But! I know that you are in a much better place than what you've left. Crying or Very sad

Boomer
PS: If you are into it, check out his discography and you will find many similarities between us as I am an active student of Louis Bellson.

2Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 am

Colin

Colin

A great drummer
he willl be missed.

Good that your Project with Louis
was filmed.

Louis Bellson 039%20Louis%20Bellson

1970's with roto toms.

Many Roto Toms on the Jonny Carson Show.
And Power 4 stick playing.
1980's.

Pure Magic.

Outtasight
Colin.

Last edited by Colin on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

3Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 am

Woody

Woody

Sad News - In Memoriam - February 15, 2009
We regret to announce the unexpected passing of Louie Bellson on Feb 14, 2009.
Tenative plans are for an L.A. area funeral, followed by funeral and burial in Moline, Illinois, his boyhood home. Details forthcoming.

The Guestbook is now closed to new entries. Rather than write there, send your
Condolences and cards to:

Mrs. Louie Bellson
c/o Remo, Inc.
28101 Industry Drive
Valencia, CA 91355

http://louiebellson.info/news.html

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

4Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 am

stephane

This is a sad news!
Louie was an innovative drummer,i did not have a lot of his records but will try to find his best ...rest in peace MR Bellson.Peace,Stef

5Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

My condolences to his family and to you Boomer on losing a friend and an inspiration.

He contributed so much to the music world and drummers in particular. He will truly be missed. RIP Louie !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

6Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Wow, what a sad thing to hear. Louie was one of my all time favorites, and a true gentleman.

I had the great pleasure of meeting him years ago, and it was one of the highlights of my life.

He will be missed.

R.I.P., Louie. God must be puttin' one heck of a band together.

7Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Harris K.

Sad news. One of the true legends and most influential drummers of an era gone by, yet still so much alive through the music.
Skin Deep is going to be played loud through my speakers tonight...

8Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Woody

Woody

9Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Billy,

You probably didn't know this but Louis lived about 4 miles from me in an upscale district called Silver Creek Valley Country club. He stored his drums at a music store called "The Musicians Warehouse" which is about the same distance from where I live. The store has a very large room in the back where Mr. Bellson would rehearse with his big band, play concerts and conduct clinics.

He also attended church here in San Jose and would sometimes perform there. I had the good fortune of meeting him once. Such a nice gentle man with nothing less than an encouraging word.... The father of the double bass, and of course he played his patootie off.

This is a MAJOR blow to not just the drumming, but the entire music community. We have lost a true music legend and a definite drumming icon...
I will mourn....

BC, I know that you and Louis were close, hang in there.

And a very happy B-Day to your grand daughter.

Don.

10Louis Bellson Empty More on Louis. Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm

boomer

When I watch the Hudson Music short(?) I remember when he first showed me the quadra grip bit with four sticks. He said: "Hey 'B", ever think of playing with 4 sticks?"........ Question Of course, I said Louis, you are joking, right? confused He smiled and said "no "B", check this out" and proceeded to open my mind to another level of musical possibilities that I had not ever considered up to that point. Every time I have been in his presence he has pulled a little rabbit out of his proverbial hat and always with a smile or a chuckle. A great orchestrator and musical visionary, Louis Bellson........ and quite funny too but sometimes the laugh would be accompanied by serious eyes. Wink Boomer

11Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Balassoni

Now THAT'S a name!!!! cheers lol! farao king

Your new Occupation will now be to perform for The Most High.

Rest well, Louis... cheers

12Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 pm

woofus

woofus

Was just talking about Louis Bellson yesterday before hearing the news . . . what an uplifting spirit . . . and he could do it all on the drums in any genre. Duke Ellington said he was THE best drummer and that's hard to dispute in terms of all-around musicianship. I'm thankful to have witnessed this man spin rototoms and kick a band in utter perfection a couple times. It's easy to forget his pioneering interracial marriage to Pearl Bailey. Louis changed the world for the better with his humanity and his skills. You can hear that serious smile in his playing.

I've known of his personal importance to you, Boomer, so my heart goes out to you as you find ways to celebrate your time and experience with Mr. Bellson.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

13Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

This is sad news....The drumming world lost another giant... There will never be another Louis Bellson....That's a fact.

http://www.louiebellson.info/

14Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Louis Bellson - A musical
drummer, with 'dare'.

What a man. What a life.
What an example. I know
he thought himself, lucky
but Pearl found 'a pearl'
in him, too.

And that Carson video is
just so fab!! I just love
his touch!!

RIP, Louis.

No Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am; edited 4 times in total

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

15Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 am

rarebit

I wonder if rock drummers would be playing big drum kits and double bass drums if it wasn't for Louie Bellson?

16Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

rarebit wrote:I wonder if rock drummers would be playing big drum kits and double bass drums if it wasn't for Louie Bellson?

I believe so, rarebit. Had not L.B. added that second bass drum, someone else surely would have.

17Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Woody

Woody

I've heard that Jim Chapin is in poor health. Crying or Very sad

18Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Niki

Niki

Sad ... check out "Live in New York" ... listened to it all day...what an absolute master and progressive force Louis Bellson was...
My condolences goes out to his family and friends...Boomer hang in there..
I think Louis Bellson had a rich life and I'm grateful he was/is there and shared his gifts with the world!

Peace
Niki

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

19Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Woody wrote:I've heard that Jim Chapin is in poor health. Crying or Very sad

That wouldn't surprise me. Last time I saw Jim, was at a private clinic with Dom Famularo, and he was slowing down then, and that was a few years ago. He's gotta' be pushing 90, if he isn't there already. Jim is such a great guy. I learned alot from him over the years.

I guess we all get old.

Russ

20Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:03 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

No guessing about it, Fusion... Just keep livin. Sleep

21Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm

Woody

Woody

I got this email fron Hudson Musics website.

I have recently been made aware that Jim Chapin is ill. His profound effect on our artform is unmeasurable in its scope. Too often, we lose the giants in our field without the opportunity to relay to them how much they have affected our lives. Here is an opportunity to let Jim hear your well-wishes. please send it to:

Jim Chapin c/o Gloria Rasmussen
20861 Pine Tree Lane
Estero, Florida 33928

All emails and/or cards will be read to Jim, as I understand his eyesight isn't that great.

Donations, should you want to give one, are acceptable in check form made out to cash.

22Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 pm

rarebit

D. Slam wrote:
rarebit wrote:I wonder if rock drummers would be playing big drum kits and double bass drums if it wasn't for Louie Bellson?

I believe so, rarebit. Had not L.B. added that second bass drum, someone else surely would have.

True, but not quite like Bellson! I doubt even he was the first.

23Louis Bellson Empty Re: Louis Bellson Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 pm

spanky

spanky

He was a great human being, first then came his great drumming, and boy could he go. I was watching him play beside Buddy Rich on YouTube, and Louie stayed right with him, Buddy couldn't smoke him, that's how good he was. He also was very caring and loving. He also married a black woman in the early 50's when it was not a popular thing to do. That in itself tells you what kind of man he was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum