BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Return To Forever Live 2008 BluRay for UK

+6
D. Slam
Anders
woofus
Daveonskins
drumman
kenny
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

D. Slam

D. Slam

Anders wrote:Ted, could the new guitarist be one of these: Larry Coryell, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Eric Johnson, Dean Brown, Larry Carlton, Steve Khan, Tony Macalpine?

Kind regards,
Anders

Anders,

I don't know who it is, but I think I can tell you who it will not be: It will not be Larry Carlton or Dean Brown, Pat Metheny.... Larry Carlton doesn't have the needed intensity, Dean Brown is in another musical realm, Pat Metheny is just not electric hardcore enough, a blt too jazzy for this group. Tony Mac could do it but somehow I don't think it's him or Steve Khan.... I'm not familiar with Eric Johnson.

Don't hold your breath waiting on the 411 from, Ted.... He enjoys having info that no one else has and then teasing us with it like you would a crocodile with a chicken on a rope... lol!

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Don,

First off, John M. was never a candidate for the RTF chair. Secondly, the 5 Peace Band had nothing to do with RTF, except for having Chick in the band.

the Five Peace Band was a collaborative effort between John M. and Chick Corea. The music that was played was written by John [mostly recent stuff from his 4th Dimension band material ] and Chick. There were no RTF pieces played nor any Mahavishnu pieces played. The other tunes were written by Jackie McLean and Miles Davis.

[/quote] So in short, I think the 5 pc. band could have done better on the choice of who would sit in the guitarist's chair. [quote]

John and Chick picked who would be in the band with THEM , not the band picking John.

And did you honestly listen to any of their music, or did you just blow them off because the ticket prices were steep ? Somehow I don't think you did, man.

And to Anders, it's none of the guitarist's you have mentioned. And Don, I don't get a kick out of "teasing" you guys with info. I'm just telling you that Al will not be touring with RTF next year, and someone else will. Since the official announcement hasn't been made, I'm not going to be the one who does that. Otherwise, I will not be privy to advance info in the future.

But maybe if you sent me those CD's you promised 5 or 6 times, I might e-mail you the info privately. lol!

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted E. Bear wrote:Hi Don,

First off, John M. was never a candidate for the RTF chair. Secondly, the 5 Peace Band had nothing to do with RTF, except for having Chick in the band.

the Five Peace Band was a collaborative effort between John M. and Chick Corea. The music that was played was written by John [mostly recent stuff from his 4th Dimension band material ] and Chick. There were no RTF pieces played nor any Mahavishnu pieces played. The other tunes were written by Jackie McLean and Miles Davis.

So in short, I think the 5 pc. band could have done better on the choice of who would sit in the guitarist's chair.

John and Chick picked who would be in the band with THEM , not the band picking John.

And did you honestly listen to any of their music, or did you just blow them off because the ticket prices were steep ? Somehow I don't think you did, man.

And to Anders, it's none of the guitarist's you have mentioned. And Don, I don't get a kick out of "teasing" you guys with info. I'm just telling you that Al will not be touring with RTF next year, and someone else will. Since the official announcement hasn't been made, I'm not going to be the one who does that. Otherwise, I will not be privy to advance info in the future.

But maybe if you sent me those CD's you promised 5 or 6 times, I might e-mail you the info privately. lol!

Peace, TED

Hello, brother, Ted.

Well, first, when did I ever even hint that JM was a candidate for the new RTF guitar chair or that the 5pc band had anything to do with RTF?

I was simply answering this question you asked:

do you like his tone with the Five Peace Band or the 4th Dimension ? He uses no effects - just straight guitar. Just curious.

I was also responding to the referral to Alan Holdsworth by Anders.

Regardless of who picked who concerning the 5 pc band, I personally could think of at least 5 other guitarist that I would have like to hear in this band before John..... My point was I think John does better doing his own specialized material and projects rather than collaborating material with other big names. John in my opinion is not very good at adapting himself to different forms of music by different people, style or texture wise.

And just so you know.... I was the first to post youtube clips from the 5pc band here and I was very impressed with them and actually liked them. I have an entire, recorded, show of one of their performances on my computer that they did last year and also on some cd's that I've burned. The only reason I missed the show they did out here in Santa Cruz about three months ago was because I didn't learn that they were in the area until the day after they performed. It was only $28.00 to get in to see them. So you might want to check with me before deciding for yourself who and what I'm "blowing off". But for the record, I'm not gonna pay through the nose to see ANYBODY!

Whomever is picked for the RTF guitar chair, I'm sure will suffice. It's really no skin off my back knowing or not knowing who it is. And I was just ribbing you a bit about teasing us. But you know you are going to arouse curiosity when bringing something like that up (As you seem to have gotten Anders' juices flowing), so if you're not going to tell the complete story, why mention it at all?

I know a Seeecreeet.... I mean, really....

As to the cd's.... I did not promise you them "5 or 6 times".... That's just how many times you've asked me for them... But keep checking your mailbox while keeping your fingers crossed. You might be surprised one of these days... lol!

Pieces,

D.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

D. Slam wrote:Ted,

To me, John Mclaughlin is one of those that just doesn't seem to fit well when doing colaborative projects. He shines best when doing his own thing. I also hold this opinion for Alan Holdsworth. Though I must admit that he did a fabulous job with "Lifetime." But to me, he has now developed to a place where that doesn't work so well for him anymore. And for this reason I don't think he would have made a good candidate for the new RTF guitar slot.

So in short, I think the 5 pc. band could have done better on the choice of who would sit in the guitarist's chair.

But again, that's just my opinion.

D.

Actually you did say he would not have made a good candidate for the RTF slot, as per your quote. Which implies to me that you thought he was being considered a candidate.

whatever, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yes, Ted,

But I was talking about Alan Holdsworth, who Anders was wondering about as a possible RTF candidate, Not John Mclaughlin.

But just so we're clear, I don't think J.M. would work either. In the end, Ted, I don't care who they pick. As far as I'm concerned,
the RTF I loved was over and done with back in 76, after Romantic Warrior. The reunion was a nice gesture and pleasant for
everyone I know that attended a show. But thoughts and attitudes have changed and the old magic that once was, is now gone
and has been since that last album as far as that group goes.

They all went on and continued to make some great music afterwards, just not with each other.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show you attended. You fared better than I did when I went to an Electric Band reunion concert thinking
I was in for a real treat and wound up nearly falling asleep.

D.

You know, I just want to add that it's really something how many of these musical redo's seem to miss the mark in recapturing the magic that should go with the group's reunion... I think a big part of this is there's only ONE first time, one era that's it's own. There's a part that you can never bring back, a part that only happens one time and one time only... And for that reason, if you're gonna do a reunion that is supposed to be an extension of that which was and is great, then be willing to play your *ss off! Put whatever cow chips that caused you to part ways in the first place aside and come out swinging for the fences.... And if your egos won't allow you to do that then just leave it alone. Any less effort is only an injustice to the music and to those of us who love it as we do.

B.B. King just performed here in Saratoga at a place called the "Mountain Winery." A beautiful outdoor amphitheater nessled in the west Saratoga hills above the Santa Clara Valley where I live. A friend of mine paid $400.00 for him and his girlfriend to see B.B. perform. He said it was a total waste of money. According to him, Mr. King did a lot of talking and very little playing, and when he did play, he was forgetting words and singing a half beat off the tune's rhythm. He also said that BB's guitar playing was horrible... And that people in the (get this) $500.00 seats section were falling asleep and many were leaving after the third and fourth tune.

You see, this is one of the reasons why I will never pay that kind of money to see someone perform. because If I dished out that kind of cash and received a performance like that, you guys would read about it in the paper: Black man goes berserk and shoots legendary star and all his band members... No survivors!... Then turns gun on himself!

But seriously, I don't get this.... If you've lost the capacity to perform on an acceptable level, and you've got a name like BB King, then go buy yourself a house on the beach, or buy yourself a small island somewhere, go relax and enjoy the rest of your days.

When you perform for an audience you should come out ready to rock some people's world. If it ain't in you to do that then go sit your *ss down somewhere and let somebody do it who can and better yet, who wants to!

All this egotistical crap is just plain stupid!!! from the world's biggest music legend (whomever that may be) to the artist that will never be heard of, music was here long before and will be here long after any of these... Those of us who are blessed with the opportunity to play a part in it and make what little statements we can on the music's behalf should appreciate our moment that we are allowed to do so. Treat and represent this wonderful art form, and those who love it with the respect that it and they deserve.

I for one would pay a good amount of money to attend a performance from those with such an attitude.

Hey, Unc, I waxed gross a lil' bit! study affraid

D.

Woody

Woody

Right on, brother Don!!!

I went to a gig like that back in the 70's.
I saw Elvin Jones at the Jazz workshop in Boston.
He had a cigarette in his mouth and a drink in his hand when he was playing the gig.
His playing wasn't up to par and I ended up leaving after the first set.
What a waste of my time. Sleep

Although I didn't pay $400.00 to see him, either.

Maybe some musicians begin to become complacent and live on the coat tails of whatever fame they have achieved.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Al is a tough cookie to work
with. Even, way back, he and
Lenny were edgy. I am not
surprised to hear of the ten-
sion, again. After all, these
are all legends, now. Back
then, it was all about Chick
and that is what they are
revisiting. Not easy for a
guy like Al. Oh, well... We
have the DVD.

afro

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Woody wrote:Right on, brother Don!!!

I went to a gig like that back in the 70's.
I saw Elvin Jones at the Jazz workshop in Boston.
He had a cigarette in his mouth and a drink in his hand when he was playing the gig.
His playing wasn't up to par and I ended up leaving after the first set.
What a waste of my time. Sleep

Although I didn't pay $400.00 to see him, either.

Maybe some musicians begin to become complacent and live on the coat tails of whatever fame they have achieved.

Brother, Woody,

I read you... And I think your comments concerning complacency and resting on past laurels are right on the money.

Brother Pete,

Yes... And my question is why can't these egos be left at the door for the music's sake.... It's not like any of them did it alone,
it was a collective effort....

"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I know, Don.

Al has a BIG ego - as big
as he is as good a player.

Sheesh.

affraid

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

kenny

kenny

it's called cocaine.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

Colin

Colin

D. Slam wrote:Yes, Ted,

But I was talking about Alan Holdsworth, who Anders was wondering about as a possible RTF candidate, Not John Mclaughlin.

But just so we're clear, I don't think J.M. would work either. In the end, Ted, I don't care who they pick. As far as I'm concerned,
the RTF I loved was over and done with back in 76, after Romantic Warrior. The reunion was a nice gesture and pleasant for
everyone I know that attended a show. But thoughts and attitudes have changed and the old magic that once was, is now gone
and has been since that last album as far as that group goes.

They all went on and continued to make some great music afterwards, just not with each other.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show you attended. You fared better than I did when I went to an Electric Band reunion concert thinking
I was in for a real treat and wound up nearly falling asleep.

D.

You know, I just want to add that it's really something how many of these musical redo's seem to miss the mark in recapturing the magic that should go with the group's reunion... I think a big part of this is there's only ONE first time, one era that's it's own. There's a part that you can never bring back, a part that only happens one time and one time only... And for that reason, if you're gonna do a reunion that is supposed to be an extension of that which was and is great, then be willing to play your *ss off! Put whatever cow chips that caused you to part ways in the first place aside and come out swinging for the fences.... And if your egos won't allow you to do that then just leave it alone. Any less effort is only an injustice to the music and to those of us who love it as we do.

B.B. King just performed here in Saratoga at a place called the "Mountain Winery." A beautiful outdoor amphitheater nessled in the west Saratoga hills above the Santa Clara Valley where I live. A friend of mine paid $400.00 for him and his girlfriend to see B.B. perform. He said it was a total waste of money. According to him, Mr. King did a lot of talking and very little playing, and when he did play, he was forgetting words and singing a half beat off the tune's rhythm. He also said that BB's guitar playing was horrible... And that people in the (get this) $500.00 seats section were falling asleep and many were leaving after the third and fourth tune.

You see, this is one of the reasons why I will never pay that kind of money to see someone perform. because If I dished out that kind of cash and received a performance like that, you guys would read about it in the paper: Black man goes berserk and shoots legendary star and all his band members... No survivors!... Then turns gun on himself!

But seriously, I don't get this.... If you've lost the capacity to perform on an acceptable level, and you've got a name like BB King, then go buy yourself a house on the beach, or buy yourself a small island somewhere, go relax and enjoy the rest of your days.

When you perform for an audience you should come out ready to rock some people's world. If it ain't in you to do that then go sit your *ss down somewhere and let somebody do it who can and better yet, who wants to!

All this egotistical crap is just plain stupid!!! from the world's biggest music legend (whomever that may be) to the artist that will never be heard of, music was here long before and will be here long after any of these... Those of us who are blessed with the opportunity to play a part in it and make what little statements we can on the music's behalf should appreciate our moment that we are allowed to do so. Treat and represent this wonderful art form, and those who love it with the respect that it and they deserve.

I for one would pay a good amount of money to attend a performance from those with such an attitude.

Hey, Unc, I waxed gross a lil' bit! study affraid

D.

That gig you speak of
is sad.
I just bought this as it is the best
gig and sound is cool.

BB King on this 1993 BluRay
is one of his best gigs
Pure DTS 5.1 Bliss.

Return To Forever Live 2008 BluRay   for UK - Page 2 9163372x

Outtasight
Colin

37Return To Forever Live 2008 BluRay   for UK - Page 2 Empty A Follow -up Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

This was just released regarding the Corea,Clarke, White tour - a special one night performance with Bill Connors , Jean Luc Ponty and Chaka Khan. Maybe D will open his wallet and make this performance ! LOL Let us know Don.
They are also playing Yoshi's too, which I know is closer to you, but without the special guests.

But Bill Connors will not be Al's replacement in RTF even though the article is hinting about a grass roots movement for Connors to be on the whole tour[ which is a possiblility for Corea, Clarke, White, but not RTF the following year ]. Looks like they changed the name from the Power of 3.

Here is the article. Peace, TED

Bill Connors to Join Corea, Clark & White for September 2nd Hollywood Bowl Concert

Posted: 2009-06-26 Comments

It's official: pianist Chick Corea, bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White will be joined September 2nd by guest guitarist Bill Connors at the Hollywood Bowl kick-off gig of their fall tour. The band, now billed as Corea, Clarke & White, will also be joined by legendary violinist Jean-Luc Ponty and song stylist Chaka Khan.

Inspired by what his friend and fellow Miles Davis alumnus John McLaughlin was doing with Mahavishnu Orchestra, Corea originally brought Connors extraordinarily expressive electric guitar skills into the band in 1973 so that Return To Forever could musically “make your hair move." As, indeed, they did. A long-time fan favorite among early jazz-rock fusion fans, Connors will join his former band mates when they open their tour at the storied Highland Ave. arena in Los Angeles.

At least for one night. When pressed for details of whether Connors would join the band for the tour that now includes European dates, a band spokesman said it isn't known yet--implying, of course, that if everything clicked, it might just happen.

It might also not happen. For one thing, its been 35 years since these four last played together in that first history-making electric incarnation of Return To Forever. For another, Connors has made a career out of never making a predictable career move, beginning with leaving Return To Forever just as their stars were rising. They had recently recorded what many consider their finest electric album, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (Polydor, 1973) and were engaged in a successful worldwide tour when he announced he was going to depart. He may well have harbored disagreements with the direction the band was taking, but his immediate immersion in an intensive study of classical guitar was far and away his aim and the most significant clue to his conduct over the next decade, as he literally re-trained himself to use all his fingers in ways utterly alien to the picking methods used with an electric guitar. Other guitarists like McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola have advanced their technique and stretched and extended their stylistic boundaries over the years, but Bill Connors has stood alone in his tireless pursuit of greater and greater technical skill. Over the course of his career his constant determination has taken him through realms most guitarists never imagine. Celebrity and its accompanying paycheck have not so much eluded him as they have been ignored by him; artistic growth has been his raison d' etre.

So this is good news, very good news.

If you live in the Los Angeles area, treat yourself and see Bill Connors perform with Corea, Clarke and White on September 2nd. It may well be your only chance to see this most lyrical and soulful guitarist play once again with these fine musicians. No matter what actually happens after September 2nd, this special night at the Hollywood Bowl, reuniting the legendary quartet and featuring the additional textures provided by Ponty and Khan, will certainly be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Get your tickets soon.

If you don't live in or near Los Angeles, note that a grass-roots campaign to include Connors on more of the scheduled tour dates has already begun...

09/02 Hollywood Bowl Los Angeles, CA
09/04 Detroit International Jazz Festival Detroit, MI
09/05 - Lehigh University - Zoellner Arts Center - Bethlehem, PA
09/07 - Dakota Jazz Club - Minneapolis, MN
09/08 - Dakota Jazz Club - Minneapolis, MN
09/10 - Anthology - San Diego, CA
09/11 - Anthology - San Diego, CA
09/12 - Anthology - San Diego, CA
09/15 - Yoshi's - Oakland, CA
09/16 - Yoshi's - Oakland, CA
09/17 - Yoshi's - Oakland, CA
09/18 - Yoshi's - Oakland, CA
09/20 Monterey Jazz Festival Monterey, CA
09/22 - Humboldt State University - Van Duzer Theater - Arcata, CA
09/25 - University at Buffalo - Center for the Arts Mainstage - Buffalo, NY
09/26 The Royal Conservatory Telus Centre for Performance and Learning Koerner Hall Toronto, Ontario CANADA
09/29 - Bergen Performing Arts Center - Englewood, NJ
10/22 - Turcoing Jazz Festival - Turcoing, FRANCE
10/24 - Palace Hall - Bucharest, ROMANIA
10/26 - Skopje Jazz Festival 2009 - Skopje, MACEDONIA
10/27 - 50! Jazz Festival Ljubljana - Ljubljana, SLOVENIA
10/31 - Theaterhaus Gessnerallee - Zurich, Switzerland
11/13 - Oosterpoort Main Hall - Groningen, NETHERLANDS
11/27 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
11/28 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
11/29 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
11/30 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
12/01 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
12/02 - Blue Note Tokyo - Tokyo, JAPAN
12/05 - Esplanade Concert Hall - Singapore, SINGAPORE

D. Slam

D. Slam

Sounds like a good line up, Ted.... Thanks for putting this up. I'll be looking for them.

D.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum