BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

King Crimson, 40 Years Later

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1King Crimson, 40 Years Later Empty King Crimson, 40 Years Later Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 am

spanky

spanky

I down loaded, King Crimson, on my iPod, and I keep playing In The Court Of The Crimson King, over and over again, because it is a master piece. The drummer Michael Giles, is also a early fusion drummer, the way he does his fills on In The Court Of The Crimson King song is great, because of the way that he does them, and the other master piece 21st Century Schizoid Man, is a jazz, rock, and classical mix that has some fantastic fusion drumming by Giles. Listening to this 40 years later after it's 1969 release has made me marvel at them, number one, because I am older and can eternalize things much, much better. And looking back now and listening to Giles today, I can truly say that he was one of the best rock drummers around during that period and after, he has a excellent mind for drumming, and he executes top notch. And also King Crimson is responsible for the start of the progressive rock movement, and all because of that 1969 landmark album. Over the years the line up has changed Giles left in 1970, but he still does studio work. Ok below is some info.

King Crimson has had 18 musicians pass through its ranks as full band members. Many others have collaborated with the band at various points in lyric-writing, the studio and in live performance. Most of the musicians who have been members of King Crimson had notable musical careers outside the band, to the extent that it has been calculated that there are over a thousand releases on which members and former members of King Crimson appear

Current band

* Robert Fripp — guitars, guitar synthesizer/MIDI guitar, Soundscapes, electric piano, Mellotron, keyboards, allsorts (1969–present)
* Adrian Belew — lead vocals, guitars, guitar synthesizer/MIDI guitar, electronic percussion (1981–present)
* Tony Levin — bass guitars, Chapman Stick, upright bass, synthesizer, backing vocals (1981–1999; 2003–present)
* Pat Mastelotto — acoustic and electronic drums and percussion (1994–present)
* Gavin Harrison — drums (2007–present)

[edit] Former members

* Greg Lake — bass guitar, vocals and tambourine (1969–1970)
* Michael Giles — drums, vocals (1969–1970)
* Ian McDonald — saxophone, clarinet, flute, mellotron, vibes, vocals (1969; 1974)
* Peter Sinfield — lyrics, synthesizer (1969–1971)
* Mel Collins — saxophone, flute, vocals, mellotron (1970–1972; 1974)
* Gordon Haskell — bass guitar, vocals (1970)
* Andy McCulloch — drums (1970)
* Rick Kemp - bass guitar (1971)
* Boz Burrell — bass guitar, vocals (1971–1972)
* Ian Wallace — drums, percussion, vocals (1971–1972)
* John Wetton — bass guitar, vocals, occasional electric guitar and piano (1972–1974)
* Jamie Muir — percussion, allsorts (1972–1973)
* Bill Bruford — acoustic and electronic drums and percussion (1972–1998)
* David Cross — violin, viola, flute, mellotron, electric piano, keyboards (1972–1974)
* Trey Gunn — Warr guitar, Chapman Stick, baritone guitar, Ashbory silicone-string bass, "talker" (1994–2003)
[img]King Crimson, 40 Years Later King_crim_courtf[/img]

2King Crimson, 40 Years Later Empty Re: King Crimson, 40 Years Later Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Spanky,

Oh, yeah! This is one of the great
bands and so important to that
amazing era. They were an incredible
influence for me and even today, I
enjoy listening to it. You are so right
about Giles and so under-rated!

Just fab!!

King Crimson, 40 Years Later King20crimson

King Crimson, 40 Years Later Kingcrimson

Regards,

cheers

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

3King Crimson, 40 Years Later Empty Re: King Crimson, 40 Years Later Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

yeah Spanky, that album holds fond memories for me too. When it came out my band mates and I played it over and over. In fact we got the name for our first band from one of the songs titled Epitaph.

And of course this album featured the Mellotron with those grandiose orchestral sounds. Truly one of the classic master piece rock albums of all time.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

4King Crimson, 40 Years Later Empty Re: King Crimson, 40 Years Later Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:23 am

woofus

woofus

Totally agreed, Spanky, Ted . . . and Pete, where'd you get that photo? I've got the vinyl and never thought to do that . . . one of my favorite, haunting melodies is the song Moonchild. Check out this application of the tune:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9060994581203752459
Saw Greg Lake a few years ago with Ringo performing Court to perfection.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum