BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Check out Boomer's Snare in this video

+4
Admin (Pete)
fuzit
spanky
D. Slam
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi guys,

I saw this on youtube today. It's from the Bagshow 2009 show from Paris. What astounds me, other than the superb buzz roll Boomer executes during the solo, is the depth of his snare. I mean it looks at least 12" deep if not 14". Of course it's hard to tell exactly from a video that was probably shot with a cell phone, but it looks huge to me. What do you guys think ?

And not only that but the sound and projection are awesome as well. It definitely does not look like his Signature Series size. Boomer if you're passing thru, what size are you using here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4HoZqXq914&feature=related

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Re: Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:05 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Nice, and I actually liked that setup... Smaller/fewer toms and a noticeably more concise sound. The snare looked to me to be no more than about 8 or 9" deep. I think the wood hoops made it look deeper. Loved the tuning on the kit... Billy's still got it no doubt.

D.

spanky

spanky

Good clip, and yes he still has it, the thing is, Billy is known as the most precise drummer alive, his playing is very detailed, and he has always been that way. He still has great speed, but what I have noticed like say, since his early days like in the 70's he solo's very effective, but much more relaxed, when you do what he does, for as long as he has been doing it, that is the way you become.

fuzit

...And Billy's STILL the man.

5Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty That Snare drum Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:48 am

boomer

Ted: I played on a snare that was made special for me called "Septimbre"............ Question This one was made by the percussionist of the Philadelphia Philharmonic, Anthony Orlando and is model of the original Septimbre out of Kansas City. It has a three snare throw off setup for Steel, wire and gut snares. I thought that I would check it out in a live performance situation to see how felt. It is a 7" shell, by the way.
Sorry that I've taken so long to respond but there is soooooooo much going on at the moment, on all fronts that I just got around to this question of yours. I see this site is doing well and I salute everyone here for keeping it active.

Boomer

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Boomer,

wow, a three snare throw off ! No wonder it sounds so full. At least I think so. So now that you've checked it out in a live performance, would you use it again ? And in only certain situations, or will you use it for many different applications ?

And thanks for clarifying the 7 " depth. That's unusual in itself isn't it, as I'm used to seeing 3'', 6", 8", or 10" mostly ? Though of course, anything can be made. I guess both myself and Don need new glasses ! And I heard Don has been using a hearing aid lately, too !! lol!

Hope you make it back East soon !

Peace, TED

Last edited by Ted E. Bear on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Re: Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

That is what I am talking about!!

Very close to the set-up I envision
and what a sound!!

cheers

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

boomer

Ted: this drum is a bit unusual in that it is heavier than the Robinson Septimbre that I haver which is a Maple shell. The wood from this Cherry wood finish drum is not the latter but a special wood called Viaro from Argentina. In weight, it's a bit heavier and dense than the Robinson therefore, a very different personality. there is a learning curve in understanding this particular instrument but, as with Phoenix, Lang or Noble and Cooley this instrument continues to grow on me. I don't believe that it's for everyone or to be used on a general basis but, from time to time I intend to take on a performance. I believe that it is more suitable to recording situations than live and will continue to work with it there as and when I believe it serves my design concept on a project. Boomer

Racman

Racman

Good ol Tama days and what a group! I've always loved that segment of time - at the pinnacle of his career in my estimate. cheers
Boomer will always be pure inspiration in all time Very Happy This snare is'nt to shabby either. It was a Superstar snare, I believe, packaged with the kit.

http://www.glennracoma.com

10Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Re: Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Boomer,

I can hear the heaviness and density of that snare, even in a recording done with a portable camera as the one on youtube was, or maybe even a cellphone.

The projection is what caught my ear, especially on the buzz roll you played at low volume. There still was a lot of clarity there. A lot of that is due to your skill of course, but some can definitely be attributed to the drum, too.

Thank you for the information about the wood and finishes and I look forward to hearing this drum in future projects !

Speaking of which, when is the new CD coming out ? are you titling it Palindrome, hence the tour name ? Is this disc two of the Fruit From the Loom series ? Thanks ! Peace, TED

11Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Re: Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:19 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I guess both myself and Don need new glasses ! And I heard Don has been using a hearing aid lately, too !!

It actually looks deeper with those hoops... At Yoshi's, Billy is using diecast hoops and not the wooden ones. The snare sounds awesome! Very precise with strong projection. Extremely sensitive to the touch. Just tapping it ever so lightly allows the snares to vibrate. To me, that is one of the marks of a high quality snare drum... And Billy's right, it's quite heavy! I thought my Sonor was awesome and it is. But this Septimbre drum is by far the most wicked snare I've ever come in contact with. At least that's what I gather according to the feedback I get from my hearing aid. alien

I could only imagine what something like that must cost. I'm proud to say that I got a chance to play it a bit.

D.

12Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Empty Re: Check out Boomer's Snare in this video Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:37 am

Asaph

Asaph

Interesting to see the crash on his left and the splashes in front. I've never seen that in any of his set ups that, I recall.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum