BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Fri May 07, 2010 7:08 pm

spanky

spanky

This is just a great song great video, I love this group, and always will. And I am trying to make out, what kind of percussion that is on thee right of the traps, they look like some kind of cymbals, or something.

Siberian Khatru - Yes (Live at Montreux)

2Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Another one of my favorite bands
and influences from way back. Alan
was real fine but Bruford had(s) my
heart. I can't tell you how may times
I played this tune, trying to get both
their takes on it. Anderson was/is
is a visionary and what can you say
about Howe, Squire and Wakeman?!

Thanks, Spanky!

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

3Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

This tune was first recorded, with
Bill Bruford on drums, on the album:

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic YesCloseToTheEdge

Bill's eclectic style really shined
on this. Later, in the Yessongs
Live release, Alan would add
his bottom style. Close To the
Edge turned out to be the last
studio release by the band, with
Bill on it. After Yessongs, Alan
would perform on the band's
studio ventures - the following
two recordings my very faves,
with Alan on them (Tales From
Topographic Oceans and then
Relayer. Mammoth performances
by Alan on these.

Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Yes-Songs

Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic 07_Tales%2Bfrom%2BTopographic%2BOcean

Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Coverrelayer

Thanks, again, Spanky!

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

4Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

OMIGOD ! DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST SAW THEM IN 1970 AS AN OPENING ACT : GAELIC PARK IN THE BRONX : YES, HUMBLE PIE, AND MOUNTAIN . $5 GENERAL ADMISSION. THEN IN 1971 SAME PLACE OPENING FOR J. GEILS BAND $5.

I'D HAVE TO COUNT THE STUBS BUT I'M SURE IT'S AT LEAST 14 TIMES OVER THE YEARS. MIGHT SEE THEM THIS YEAR TOO.

I'VE NEVER HEARD THEM PLAY A BAD NOTE, LET ALONE A BAD CONCERT !!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT MUCH ELSE I CAN SAY ! pEACE, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

5Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 am

kenny

kenny

I agree pete. i had a hard time accepting alan white after bruford. he's good but just not the same punch and flair. i like alan's solo album i forget the name now.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

6Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sat May 08, 2010 4:15 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I am trying to make out, what kind of percussion that is on thee right of the traps, they look like some kind of cymbals, or something.

Spanky, I believe that it's basically the same as a bell tree, just laid out differently.

Btw, I know how much you like rock. Seems all your music clips and info is based mainly on rock music and players.
I'm curious as to why you just don't start a rock band rather than a funk band?! scratch

7Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sat May 08, 2010 8:30 pm

spanky

spanky

Well Don, I will always love them both, but is seems like when I am online, I always talk about Rock and or Fusion. But I really, really have this thing for 70's and early 80's Funk, and I am also a blues man. But the songs that I have my band working on are Mandrill, Graham Central Station, Rufus, Chuck Brown, Cameo, Aretha Franklin, that is just to name few. And I still plan on doing some rock projects in the future. But the thing is, no matter what I play or do, I will always be a rocker too, I don't know how else to explain it. And some of the song my band will be doing will have a rock type flavor to it, like Red Hot Mama, by The Funkadelics, and Maggot Brain, by The Funkadelicis. I have a little website for my band, I have to finish building it, and put a video and some music and stuff on it. And because I am doing the building I guess it will be a few more weeks or so before I finish it, because there is a lot that I want to add to it. the name of my band is Fortitude.
http://www.thefortitudeband.com.

8Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Not trying to be irritating, Spanky.... But I pose the question again: Why don't you start a rock band?

I rarely if ever read anything from you pertaining to funk. You seem to have a deep love for the music.
So why not start a rock band? Truth is, ain't that many blacks doing it, especially on the local level....
Could be a hit, man. Idea

9Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sat May 08, 2010 10:13 pm

spanky

spanky

And again Don, I like talking about rock, why I don't discuss funk, that much online, I don't know. I have a vast collection of both rock, metal funk, and soul. And there are times where I don't listen to rock at all for a while, and there are times where I do. But for right now, my heart is in doing the Funk thing, I have a deep love for Funk, and that's what I want to do, there are countless rock and metal bands in Philly, but you can count on one hand the Funk bands. Nope not many here at all, the most noted is The Urban Gorilla Orchestra, otherwise than them it is just a few. I have always wanted to do a rock thing and then in the 70's I turned towards funk too. But for right now my heart is in the Funk. And you know what Don, I guess I should discuss the other genres of music that I get into, more.

10Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sun May 09, 2010 12:06 am

kenny

kenny

Spanky you can discuss whatever you feel like disscussin! YES was one of the greatest bands the world has ever known.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

11Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky,

Please don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with whatever music style you choose to discuss.

It's just that you discuss rock and not so much funk. Judging by your posts alone I would have bet all my possessions that you were a rocker more so than a funkster and that is what you'd want to play, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Thus, since you post about rock as much as you do, I was just wondering why you would not pursue the music artistically.

I was only curious, No big deal.

But I want it to be understood that I was NOT asking you why you post so much about rock. That is entirely your prerogative.

Cheers,

Don.

12Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sun May 09, 2010 9:13 am

spanky

spanky

Don that's a good question, I would like to to be in both worlds, meaning Rock and Funk, but I will always be a rocker. And I also have a real deep thing for modern Gospel music, and I love playing it, because at my church we do R&B type Gospel, and not to much old style Gospel. But as for pursuing rock full time, that is not where I am in my life right now, I really, Don from the heart, want to do Funk at this period in my life. I don't know how else to explain it. But Don you can always ask me anything man, and I mean that.

13Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Empty Re: Oh how sweet it is, a Yes Classic Sun May 09, 2010 10:21 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Do yo thang, Spanky! afro

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum