BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums

+3
Racman
woofus
fuzit
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm

spanky

spanky

Sammy does a little drum solo work here. I loved this guy, and Dean Martin as well.

The talents of Sammy Davis Jr, part 1

Part 2

2Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am

fuzit

...Another soul who graced us with his unlimited talent.

3Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 am

woofus

woofus

Awesome find. Had no idea Sammy played drums, leave alone like that. He really knew what he was doing when he chose Duffy Jackson.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

4Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Racman

Racman

This man was incredibly talented. I did'nt know as well how fine of a drummer he was. That is a great fine for sure. Thank you Spanky. That was entertaining.

http://www.glennracoma.com

5Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

As an entertainer and showman, S.D. Jr. did a lot of things extremely well.............. Playin drums ain't one of em. affraid Shocked

6Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

spanky

spanky

well Don, for entertainments sake he was ok. Here is Buddy on the Sammy show or something, but Buddy is doing some nice snare work here.

7Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I went into another room to do something while the clip of Sammy playing drums was running, Spanky and I could still hear what was going on I've learned that if you're watching a music clip of some sort and you want to hear what's honestly going on, simply close your eyes. What I was hearing in that next room coming from Sammy D. on the drums wasn't making it.

A wonderful, singer, dancer, actor and also fantastic at twirling a set of six shooters.... But the problem with this performance is all those things that he did so well only accentuates how sub standard his drumming skills were by comparison... He should not have played drums in public.

Sammy Davis is one of my all-time entertainment heroes for sure. I could even see where he influenced Michael Jackson in dance.

Last edited by D. Slam on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 am; edited 4 times in total

8Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:58 am

Racman

Racman

Thanks Spanky, that was another great fine indeed!

http://www.glennracoma.com

9Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 am

spanky

spanky

Well Don many of those cats he was playing to, didn't know the difference, I saw some flaws too, but I think it is safe to say, that if he had kept it up, he would have been top notch, because he was a perfectionist. And thank you Rac. Buddy had some of the best trad grip hands that you will ever see, and in that video you can actually see how he does it. Who come close in my estimation is, Rufus Speedy Jones, in superb snare work and speed.

10Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

spanky wrote:Well Don many of those cats he was playing to, didn't know the difference, I saw some flaws too, but I think it is safe to say, that if he had kept it up, he would have been top notch, because he was a perfectionist. And thank you Rac. Buddy had some of the best trad grip hands that you will ever see, and in that video you can actually see how he does it. Who come close in my estimation is, Rufus Speedy Jones, in superb snare work and speed.

Well, Spanky, I'd like to think that the art form I have chosen to study has some levels of skill that individuals other than fellow artists can hear, see, understand and differentiate to at least some degree.

But keep in mind that I was only giving my opinion on what I gathered from this particular clip and not on what would, could or might have been in the future had he pursued playing the drums with more involvement.

I have no doubt that Sammy Davis Jr. had the God given talent to excel at whatever form of entertainment he chose. My opinion is with everything else that he did so well, his drumming skills fell noticeably short and was not worth the effort for someone of his talent caliber to publicly display. But that's only my opinion and it's okay if no one agrees with it.

11Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 pm

kenny

kenny

Sammy prefaced the performance by stating he was just a novice. He basically wanted to share the joy of what he was getting into. He was clear about his humble attitude towards the art. That was worth anything he may have played. I thought his spiritedness outweighed any technical defects. He was in no way prideful just exuded sheer joy and i enjoyed that aspect of it. Just like that wacky drummer that went viral on the internet. If some kid sees that and was turned on to drumming then it's good. There are as many ways to play the drums as there are people. I enjoyed the Sammy clip on a musical level much more than the wacky show drummer. That is my opinion.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

12Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm

spanky

spanky

I actually have seen Sammy play drums on TV before, I forgot which program it was, but that is why I posted it in the first place, because I remember seeing him play, I think it was in the 60's.

13Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm

Woody

Woody

Johnny Carson was a frustrated drummer, too, you know!!!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

14Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Empty Re: Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:15 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Being humble or arrogant doesn't determine what's played well and what isn't.... In any case, one man's garbage is another's treasure, and vice-versa... And that's exactly how it should be. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum