BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evan's Emac Onyx Batter-NEW

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Evan's Emac Onyx Batter-NEW Empty Evan's Emac Onyx Batter-NEW Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Racman

Racman

I've been following Evans in their quest on head technology and found the their EMAD's counter cousin, Onyx drum heads. I get the impression that they're dealing with the durability issue that's been posed by many end users, including myself. The heads consist of being double-ply with a durable thin black colored front surface - which makes it visually appealing.

But what really held my attention was the sound projection noted on their bass drum heads. The batter head comes as a Kit consisting of a foam circular dampener that simply installs on the outer-edge circumference of the head + a plastic piece that is optional to install at the bass of the batter which controls the 'amount' of vibrational-resonance as the head is attack and + that little white adhesive stick-on that goes center where the beater meets the head (attack) . This round stick-on adds definition as the beater strikes the head. When these additional items are properly attached, the overall sound of the bass drum has a very deep, wide yet define presence which is something I'm looking for.

Bob Gatzen believes that Evans really has the science of drum acoustics down as they confront their durability issues and not having to sacrifice their high sounding quality which they are known for. I think that as Evans continues to pursue this route , they will pioneer and evolve into a household name of drum heads as is their long and respected competitor, Remo. So based on that venture of Evans, I see it as a worth while investment.

The Onyx series also is made for the other drums as well but without the added items mentioned for the bass drum. If you've not heard of these you can see them on YouTube. My apology goes to Spanky for not having the link posted in his recent snare topic.

Aloha,
rac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgSmk5ykJM&feature=player_embedded

IMPORTANT NOTE; While listening to video, use phones for better sound. Or, if video don't work hit the blue hyperlink above.

http://www.glennracoma.com

2Evan's Emac Onyx Batter-NEW Empty Re: Evan's Emac Onyx Batter-NEW Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Rac,

I've been using the E-mad and G-mad kick drum heads for a number of years now. I have found nothing better to date. I think they blow the Aquarians right out of the water and the Aquarians are very good bass drum heads for sure... Evans makes the best kick drum head systems on the market right now in my personal opinion.

I Know nothing of this new "Onyx" system, but if its an improvement on what they already have, hold onto your hats!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum