BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Garry Shider, Parliament-Funkadelic Guitarist, Dead at 56

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

spanky

spanky

When George Clinton's twin-engine funk machine Parliament-Funkadelic was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, 15 members were named. Besides Clinton himself, none was more responsible for P-Funk's exuberant music than Garry Shider, the band's long-running guitarist, musical director and -- dressed only in a diaper -- lead superfreak. Shider died Wednesday at age 56 due to complications from brain and lung cancer, according to Newark, N.J.'s Star-Ledger.

Shider, who first found music in church, met Clinton in the New Jersey barbershop where the P-Funk universe was hatched. After a brief stint in Canada, where he cofounded a group called United Soul (US), Shider returned to the Garden State and joined Clinton's entourage full-time.

Over the years he co-wrote several P-Funk songs, had featured roles on such classics as 'Cosmic Slop' and 'One Nation Under a Groove' and collaborated on side projects by P-Funk colleagues including Bootsy Collins and Eddie Hazel.

But Shider was best known as Diaper Man, the fearless entertainer who always took the stage in a cloth diaper. In the wild costume party that broke out every night at P-Funk shows, Shider was always front and center, representing the eternal child for the Mothership Connection.

Death

In 2010, it was announced that Shider was suffering from cancer of the brain and lungs. On June 16, 2010, Shider died from complications of his cancer.[1] A fund has been set up to assist his family with paying his remaining medical bills.[2]

Shider is survived by his wife Linda.[img]Garry Shider, Parliament-Funkadelic Guitarist, Dead at 56 Garry-10[/img]

spanky

spanky

Death

In 2010, it was announced that Shider was suffering from cancer of the brain and lungs. On June 16, 2010, Shider died from complications of his cancer.[1] A fund has been set up to assist his family with paying his remaining medical bills.
It seems like George should help the family out, look at what Gary has done for George. Many famous musicians die poor, or don't have enough to pay their medical bills. There is noway that Gary should have died like this, with George still touring all over the planet. Just my thoughts.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow.... It looks like my generation is on it's way out. I would encourage all of us to get our houses in order.... Spiritually and otherwise.

woofus

woofus

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

spanky

spanky

woofus, I don't get it.

woofus

woofus

It's about getting your house in order as Don suggests . . .

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

spanky

spanky

woofus wrote:It's about getting your house in order as Don suggests . . .
Oh' ok I did not connect the two.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum