BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

This year in the music business

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1This year in the music business Empty This year in the music business Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:26 pm

boomer

[left]Hello Everyone:
Since the beginning of this year I have been in ultra- blitz mode, as I've been on tour with String Quartet (France), Italy with Culture Mix, the USA working in the studio with John Legend's drummer and musical director, Swiss Chris in NYC then on to Lowell, Mass. to work on a project with recording engineer and producer, Ken Scott before heading back to London for a weekend at Ronnie Scott's with Culture Mix again. That was mostly February.
March 12 found us in Adelaide, Australia where I was part of a successful premier of a new collaborative project called "Meeting of The Spirits" which is not just about the music of one specific group that hailed from the fusion era but really about the The Fusion Era so, as we develop the project we will present arrangements of our stuff from this period with the idea of injecting repertoire of this era into the symphonic performance environment. The Adelaide Symphony had a ball playing this stuff and I see it as a great accomplishment to continue where others have left off with these presentations.
Next month finds me in the USA and hanging with Don T. for a brief minute so I hope to learn as much as I can about what you guys have ben up to over here.
Stay well!

Boomer

2This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Colin

Colin

I hope there are some great times in your Hard Work,
and real Cool for hear about Engineer/Producer Ken Scott again.

Why is it Down Under or Japan
that funds these greater gigs,
I guess it may be UK and USA are not enough into great projects
or fear no money in it.

Outtasight
Colin.

3This year in the music business Empty about the you within Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm

boomer

[left]I believe that the funds are there, Colin but I think that those who control those funds need to understand why support is required for these projects. This is not come off naive and not acknowledge that those same elements are not above using their position to block what may not be in their favor to grant................ I have now ben a part of a few projects that have made it through to the surface of public acknowledgement to believe that if you really want to make an impression this can be done. One just has to think it through to the point of believing in one's self. End point is DOING WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO! As artists I believe that we stand a strong chance to make our dreams real otherwise we will move onto something that we can grasp and feel comfortable with somewhere don the line.
Boomer

4This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Boomer,

Really glad to see that you found some time to help us catch up with you a bit in the whirlwind that you call your life ! I bet your passport has more stamps on it than most heads of state !

The whole music industry is in a major change period right now, which hopefully will turn out to be a good thing, but is also a bit scary to an artist like yourself, I'm sure. It seems at the moment that the only way to make any money is in live performance, though that's always been the case in the jazz idiom. But now the ticket prices are starting to get almost out of reach. We've been discussing the RTF reunion tour taking place later this year. My orchestra seat ticket cost me $137. Regular price. $124 for the ticket, $12.50 for Ticketbastard, and about mailing. My ticket for Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood a few weeks ago cost $194 - $179 for the ticket and $15 for Ticketbastard. I used to pay those prices to buy scalped tickets when I was shut out online for a show I wanted to see. Now the prices are astronomical. I could have sold my Clapton ticket for $600, but of course I went to the show.

The point is how is an artist going to survive without having to charge these prices. I know you haven't ever charged at those levels, but do you see the trend continuing to rise until the audience is priced out of going ? Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

5This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am

Suss

Suss

I've commenting here on both threads with the same subject. It is also great to see Billy's comments here from his experiences and travels. Without baiting anything further, I'd simply like to ask if you, Boomer, have detected something beyond the obvious clientele who are willing to pay any price for anything/anyone. But then I'm aware that is an unfair question since your very name is a brand within itself.

Yet, what do you sense among the patrons of the house you perform in? And what seems to be the ground swell among the business people you collaborate with, beyond yourself of course! Like a Star @ heaven

... just curious since I hope to be coming to your side of the world soon where the shows are as important as having proper support between them.

P.S. I'm also sensitive to what you said Ted about balancing the music industry (business folk) with live performances and ticket prices. I'd love to hear from Boomer on this score, but I'm satisified with his answer thus far since the traditional record company will soon be a thing of the past - unless of course they and their cohorts are successfull in pulling of another snafu as they did with merchandising back in the 1980s against gospel music. My point is, I seriously doubt that they (record companies) will be able to command the internet as they did with shelf space at the time when my label was among the independents. So IMHO, I'd say that it will remain up to the artist to hone his/her own team to market and promote whatever live performances are being supported by credible product. The REAL trick is to get SOUNDSCAN to recognize it commercially as readily as any group can peddle at a concert. And why is it that I trust Digital Rights Managment more than the miscreant managers of record companies to make timely payments to the artists who deserve it. My name has been mispelled or omitted more than once on a number of projects... hence, no moneey but lots of freakin' excuses.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

6This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:29 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

As artists I believe that we stand a strong chance to make our dreams real otherwise we will move onto something that we can grasp and feel comfortable with somewhere don the line.

And in your case, what is that dream, BC?

7This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sat May 31, 2008 1:15 pm

Colin

Colin

It is getting worse as many Record Stores close.
Under 30 year olds could not care about Quality in music
they are so happy with the small sexy mp3 - which in my view
is worse, it misses out intruments and sounds.

And even worse these younger folks
think it is cool to NOT pay for music.
That is killing music .

Even Bands are playing it safe
like RTF 2008 are doing one UK gig only.

Outtasight
Colin.

8This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 am

boomer

I know that people are coming out to the shows without thinking about it very much. I don't know that they are paying those prices that are mentioned above since I am not dealing with those elements when I perform, from that perspective. It could be that tickets for my stuff are approaching that level and I would be one of the last to know but, I don't think so. I am supposed to perform with Quincy Jones at Montreux this summer and I know that those tickets for the festival are through the roof. Go figure............ Asere are on tour in October throughout the UK but I would be surprised if the ticket prices were more than £20 to £30. I know that Ronnie Scott's charge close to £55.00 per seat so maybe the bigger halls are doing the same proportionately, I don't know. Interesting to check out the trend though. Arrow
Boomer

9This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 am

Suss

Suss

Very interesting and welcome to see you viewpoints Boomer!

I'm not at all surprised that when performing you find it necessary to separate the business concerns to the "creative." Also glad to hear you are doing that successfully: something that I feel is most important when musically active.

Thanks for your recent email too! Very Happy

10This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 pm

Colin

Colin

boomer wrote:I know that people are coming out to the shows without thinking about it very much. I don't know that they are paying those prices that are mentioned above since I am not dealing with those elements when I perform, from that perspective. It could be that tickets for my stuff are approaching that level and I would be one of the last to know but, I don't think so. I am supposed to perform with Quincy Jones at Montreux this summer and I know that those tickets for the festival are through the roof. Go figure............ Asere are on tour in October throughout the UK but I would be surprised if the ticket prices were more than £20 to £30. I know that Ronnie Scott's charge close to £55.00 per seat so maybe the bigger halls are doing the same proportionately, I don't know. Interesting to check out the trend though. Arrow
Boomer

Asere are not so well known
Unless you are with them.

Quincy Jones featuring Billy Cobham
and other top players
I would think is so rare
I would even pay £ 200 to see
without a breath.

Jeff Beck at the Ronnie Scotts was mega
because Jeff plays Jazz Rock
and even your great tracks
and he sold £100 tickets
fast because
Jeff is at a Big Arena on most gigs
so you get up close with Jeff
which is Ultra Rare.

And I hope after the RTF World Tour
John and Jan
could talk about a special tour with you.
I say Jan
as most reports say he is the one that
is not open to the Original Mahavishnu reformed.

Outtasight
Colin.

11This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:55 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

From where I sit, a Mahavishnu reunion would bring a mint. And judging Billy's most recent performances and assuming everyone else is still on an equal playing field, the music certainly wouldn't be an issue... It's a matter of everyone getting past some issues that are on some pretty thin ice at the moment. As I said before I'm not a person of nastalgia, but I find myself wondering how something of this epic potential could be wrong.

Billy with Quincy....

I am so happy to see Billy getting some high profile expsosure. It's been a long time coming and many years overdue.

Billy plays with great players no doubt. But I must say that from a popular point of view, these are the folks within this industry that he should be working with. Hopefully it will be even more lucrative on a monitary scale.

You so much deserve it, BC.

D.

12This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Wow ! Boomer with Quincy Jones @ Montreux ? That would be some show ! If you're reading this Boomer, is there some way we could get a calendar somewhere with your gigs? There are sometimes updates on the Sonic Mirror site, but it's not always up to date. Thanks.

Now as to a Maha reunion. It's true what Colin says that the member who doesn't want to do it is Jan. There are two reasons , which he has stated in a recent interview by Darryl Dobson on his site - he doesn't want to travel because of health issues and he isn't into playing "fusion" anymore. So a tour would probably be out, BUT maybe not a one or two night gig at a major venue in New York {Jan lives in Connecticut}, which could be recorded for DVD release. Ticket prices would be astronomical, of course.

Which brings it down to would Jan want to do it one more time for a reason of his choosing. He doesn't need the money, so it would come down to the music , as it always does. And only he can answer that. So far, his answer is no. Peace, TED

13This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Suss

Suss

With ALL Respect to All,

Time (meter) waits upon no one Boomer (you know this principle). May by my personal prayer and everyone's destiny, the few (among you and J.M./Mahavishnu O.'s destiny) reconcile for yet another visitation musically (God willing). If not, then it is as it is.

As for me (personally on June 3, 2008), I'm already "sated" (full). Yet I'm not over yet [as in breaking my fast tomorrow morning]. Would to God that those asking for something else would realize they already have it and "are." Nuff said without "going to figure." It's jazztastic man!

In a previous time when some were calling for English as the spoken (and understood/universal language), may we ALL understand other cultures and ethnicities and global concerns. English was politically determined; and not morally so. Just study the etymology and spiritually discern how many lives have been lost to make these present circumstances so where rather than improvement, we have regressed: ... then and only then will others discover that the world is much bigger than our neighborhoods.

Relax and enjoy your life Billy.. You have already inspired more than the discerning catch or latch upon.

For me personally, there is no secret how you've influenced my life in a musical frame of mind. Though you might have (and would have) played a number of songs that I’ve performed upon with your ferocity, I did what was in my heart to do decades before the internet and certainly now in “real time.”. The rest of us can take care of ourselves with your prayerful inspiration and intercession. You are praying: aren't you Billy Cobham?

With all Love & Respect.

Suss!

P.S. Sometimes we just need to be quick to listen and slow to speak/write. I've not known (nor heard) any to cover Boomer's Red Baron as I have from the WB play along "Conundrum." This does not make me "special" among drummers around the world, as much as it does among examples of what can be done when the reins are loosed within our own personality (and skill set) apart from Billy Cobham’s ("Boomer’s") dictation. Thank you Boomer for that musical subtily and epiphany back in 1970.

P.P.S.: How can I close without a praise to the God who gave us ALL Things. For those interested, or have a heart to embrace it: the following is neither a worship song within a church service; nor a song to be considered as such. It is just an album cut that will hopefully exhort you to study the difference between what religious history has taught and what is True. There is No Heaven versus Hell as much as there is a resurrection according to Scripture well before Islam and other Sects in pursuit of the Living (One) God. I say this with humility, but with as much Authority as my Savior. The onus is upon those whom have misappropriated their Offices to mislead (beguile) peoples about the truth behind and before our relationships. It is no wonder that those in Europe chagrin at the prospect of ever considering this. Yet the true Christian faith is to forgive and forget. You in Europe have not been taught these principles except by certain local ministries (and traditions that make your mandates & Word of God of none effect). You are now overlooked and regarded as not having a lasting impact. Wasn’t it your own King James in 1611 who ordered the translation of such? Now you’re ready for another King William?

You in England, Spain, Europe, Russia, and the severed states within innumerable imperialistic States, are only now discovering what it took 500 years for the US and thousand of years globally to realize when after subordinating a people based upon socio-economic criteria alone… WE ALL LOSE!

There is no victory in adversarial schemes of things. The solution is in the Giver of what we’ve ALL received without respecter of persons nor partiality.

This song that I recorded with Ben Tankard (the producer for Yolanda Adams before either of them were ever known commercially) merely speaks of being closer to the living God without any of us having titles or accolades. May we ALL remain together at the end of His Day... for such are both our Dreams & Destiny. I happened to meet Ben in east London. And we’re both Americans. Go figure.

I will add the link later…

With love…

Suss!

14This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:01 am

Colin

Colin

Ted
Jan plays Mahavishnu no problem
at that Jeff Beck-Jan Hammer tour
he played it.

So it may be just the travel
let Jan have a big say in the place to play live
may help.

Outtasight
Colin.

15This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Yes, Colin , Jan did play one Maha song, Resolution, with Jeff Beck at his London shows back in 2005. But did they actually tour ? I'd have to check but I thought they only did a couple of shows in London.

Then Jan performed once in 2006 at Moogfest. He played 5 songs, none of them Maha pieces . His backup band was the Mahavishnu project ,who performed two songs before he came out to play with them.

He recently turned down Jeff Beck's request to write new fusion music for a forthcoming Beck album. He's content to listen to his son's music right now, and enjoy life. I wish him all the best, though I secretly hope he might change his mind one day ! Peace, TED

Last edited by Ted E. Bear on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

16This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Colin

Colin

Yes Jan and Jeff toured the UK.

I went to a few.

Jan will turn down whatever he wants
but if John and Jan
want a few nights live
I hope it could happen.

The RTF Mega World Tour
may change Jan's mind,
you never know.

Outtasight
Colin.

17This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Colin

Colin

And one other to consider

Billy Cobham - George Duke - John Scofield - Alphonso Johnson
on a few nights to test the market.

All 4 of those musicians
are into every type of music
John Scofield even does Garage Funk
he has no limits.

It is better to tour
one cool musician from the 1970's
Leroy Hutson has a CD but awaits the demand online?
That is wrong
waiting for emails to confirm they want the CD.

Music Live is the key and the Magic.
and Top Bands can now achieve a better wage
if planned better.

Sorry to Bill Cobham
to talk about bands that are not even in action,
we all just hope!

Outtasight
Colin.

18This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:16 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow! I didn't know that, Ted.... That's interesting. Billy played a lot of groove stuff during that concert series... I find myself wondering how Jan would have handled that.

When he returns, Tom Coster will be on the bill.

Don.

Last edited by D. Slam on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

19This year in the music business Empty The BC Calendar recent activities Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:01 pm

boomer

Hi Ted and everybody: The reason why I've ben so lax in keeping up my performance itinerary is because this year, so far, I've been hit with a tremendous amount of projects that appear to be real and then disappear just as fast as they appeared. this can breed a tremendous amount of frustration on my part, which maybe I should try to roll with the punches thrown in regards to that issue but, I guess I will never entirely get used to that "second guessing" feeling. So, I have found myself talking about things that I have accomplished as opposed to what's coming down the pike. After a while one tends to be a bit gun shy about showing his hand before the dealer raps the table. Rolling Eyes
Hey, 2 days ago, I was in Toronto to help open up one of the largest music shops I have been in the past five years or so. It's not downtown Toronto. Actually, aside from that, I really could not tell you where in Toronto it is. The name of the music store is Cosmos Music. Trust me when I say the place is big as in 55'000 sq ft.................... Just shy of requiring a bus to get you from the drum dept. to the brass dept.......... scratch Vic Firth popped in to wish the management well and Dennis Chambers stopped by a day early to debate me on what city made the better crab cakes, Baltimore, Gaithersburg or Annapolis? I was completely out of the loop when I said Toronto and he made it his business to correct me immediately. cheers He played there last night............... I would have loved to stay for his presentation but I have to prepare for a few bits and pieces that are on the horizon through out the rest of this month. Well, as things solidify, i will try to bring you guys up to speed on what's happening with me. thanks for the continual interest in me and my activities, by the way. As you can see it hasn't gone unnoticed.
Boomer jocolor

20This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Colin

Colin

Changing Times
it is hard to keep up with
for all of us, at times.

Toronto sunny
1978 tracking some tracks
for your 2nd solo project for columbia.
The Photos from that year have you with the young Randy Jackson
on the Kramer Ads Basses and Guitars for your touring band.
In the Musician Magazine of '78.
Look at Randy now
next the Top Dog Simon Cowell on the TV shows.

It is great , though
that you Bill Cobham are still performing magic on Drums.
while Randy plays bass a few times a year.

Outtasight
Colin

21This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Thanks Boomer for checking in ! I can only imagine how it must be to have projects come and go like that. The positive thing is that at least you're still getting offers ! We appreciate the fact that you take the time from your busy schedule to interact with us !

I just found out about the Amazing Trio release today. Now I have to figure out where to get it ! LOL Peace, TED

22This year in the music business Empty L. Subramaniam recordings with me. Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:55 am

boomer

I am not sure as I haven't tried this but I think that Subramaniam has a web site and it will direct you all to the recording and it's purchase. I don't remember too much about this event except that Bangalore is an amazing place and the experience with Ponty and Subramaniam the same. It could be that other artists whom you are familiar with are on this project as well, I kind of recall this.
Enjoy! cheers

Boomer

23This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Thanks Boomer , I did check his sites and that concert is not listed as yet. Probably because it's so new, nobody even has it for sale yet. I will find it through my usual sources eventually.

Just wondering how long ago was that performance, and was that a part of one of the Womad festivals, or just an Indian festival. Thanks, Peace, TED

24This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Suss

Suss

Hi Ted and everybody: The reason why I've ben so lax in keeping up my performance itinerary is because this year, so far, I've been hit with a tremendous amount of projects that appear to be real and then disappear just as fast as they appeared. this can breed a tremendous amount of frustration on my part, which maybe I should try to roll with the punches thrown in regards to that issue but, I guess I will never entirely get used to that "second guessing" feeling. So, I have found myself talking about things that I have accomplished as opposed to what's coming down the pike. After a while one tends to be a bit gun shy about showing his hand before the dealer raps the table.
Hey, 2 days ago, I was in Toronto to help open up one of the largest music shops I have been in the past five years or so. It's not downtown Toronto. Actually, aside from that, I really could not tell you where in Toronto it is. The name of the music store is Cosmos Music. Trust me when I say the place is big as in 55'000 sq ft.................... Just shy of requiring a bus to get you from the drum dept. to the brass dept.......... Vic Firth popped in to wish the management well and Dennis Chambers stopped by a day early to debate me on what city made the better crab cakes, Baltimore, Gaithersburg or Annapolis? I was completely out of the loop when I said Toronto and he made it his business to correct me immediately. He played there last night............... I would have loved to stay for his presentation but I have to prepare for a few bits and pieces that are on the horizon through out the rest of this month. Well, as things solidify, i will try to bring you guys up to speed on what's happening with me. thanks for the continual interest in me and my activities, by the way. As you can see it hasn't gone unnoticed.
Boomer

With all respect, you’re not “lax” Boomer, just busy. It doesn’t surprise me that often within our business, things appear and then disappear, when projects and goals are concerned. It’s the nature of what we do, though you admittedly operate on a much higher level (and with peers) than I am doing presently. Yet the principles remain the same Billy… even the smallest opportunity to express oneself can result in the greatest joy.

Quite honestly, I would have loved to have been in France right now on a tour I mentioned earlier this year with Walter Bland. However, that did not come to fruition as I had hoped (and recorded) toward. I honestly don’t know why… which is why we must know those who labor among us. I hope anything that I’ve publicly posted within your community evidences the reality of any of us “knowing” those we labor with. I know you know. Strangely, I’m still trying to work out that conundrum, while confident in the knowledge that I know myself (strengths, weaknesses and willingness to put up with the unexpected occurrences from time to time).

Altogether, “Cosmos” sounds like the U.S. based, now defunct, “Mars Music.” Same square footage and the same challenge when first walking in their doors, depending upon the city you’d find them. Cosmos’ space requirements for purveying their wares sounds like they’ve already done their market research and invested in the venture for that “surburban” locale. I’m wondering (and hoping) that they don’t fall prey to the “lax” mentality that “music” is a pastime. As you know Bill, to play musically requires more sensitivity and proficiency than many consumers are willing to acknowledge. You are among the Hall of Famers, and I’m privileged to have a relationship with you. Yet there are so many others of us out here who for whatever reason do not envy you as much as seek the expressions in what we do with acceptability in the marketplace. Sure we’re competitive; and sure there’s a lot of testosterone when it considering the male egos of men anywhere (regardless of what we do). Yet I think competition is good because by keeping prices down, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the price we pay to become proficient is “cheap.” What I’m saying is that nothing you do is “cheap.” And for that I applaud you. Your skill speaks volumes to those who won’t take the time to listen, read and understand. I hope mine isn’t forgotten either. Somehow it all works out in the wash, doesn’t it?

My interest in you is not mercenary Bill. My interest in you stems from those seminal moments that both of us have forgotten when first meeting in Greenwich Village, NYC., at Lee Housekeeper’s flat/apt back in the day. You opened my vistas toward fresh horizons in my development as a drummer. Your mentoring (if even remotely through personal contact and public performances) allowed me to mature to what is now a proven fact in my quest to become a “professional” musician. I give you credit and accolades Bill. The trick is to become an ‘artist’… and not a starving one. We’ve never discussed spirituality between ourselves on a personal level… and neither am I baiting the hook to do so. But I will ask that you pray for the redemption of every ‘artist/performer’ who seeks what you have achieved in your life. Thank you Billy Cobham for your friendship… alongside of everyone I’ve come to establish new friendships through you and your influence upon the music community.

Thank you…

25This year in the music business Empty Looking at the bright side of Life Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:03 pm

boomer

Very Happy I put this little icon up first as an indication that every day is a new day and I try to put a positive face on every time I wake up. Because the new day provides me time to study more and learn every lick you guys have to offer so that I can have fun doing what I do. If I have provided anyone on this site with musical food for thought..........You are quite welcomed. As long as my input has been in some way useful to you is payment in kind for the support that you have given me. So, it appears that we are even then. Sleep
that being the case.........I'll go to bed now.
More later

Boomer scratch

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum