BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra CD & New Box Set

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Colin

Colin

"The Mahavishnu Orchestra, featuring guitarist John McLaughlin, has been at the forefront of fusion jazz since its inception. This "best of" compilation was originally issued on LP in 1980. Besides featuring some of their best material, this CD version includes a 13 minute live track not on the original LP. The Noonward Race was recorded live at the 1972 Mar Y Sol Festival and is making its worldwide CD debut. Tracks: Birds Of Fire, Open Country Joy, Wings Of Karma, Sister Andrea, The Dance Of Maya, Meeting Of The Spirits, Lila's Dance, Be Happy - Bonus track: The Noonward Race (Recorded Live at the 1972 Mar Y Sol Festival)."

This is out on Woundedbird/Sony CD

With a Sony Owned Live track , 1st time out on CD.

I have ordered it.
from amazon UK.

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set Bestmaha

Outtasight
Colin.

Last edited by Colin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

You should have ordered the new Maha box set from Sony which also has that track plus unreleased songs from the Central Park concert of Aug. 17 and 18 , 1973 which culled the Between Nothingness and Eternity album. And these tracks were re-mastered with McLaughlins participation along with Bob Belden and Gregg Bendian.

It came out on Nov. 22nd and has shipped but I havent' received my copy yet, so I will speak on thme when I get it !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set Empty Re: Mahavishnu Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 pm

drumman

Ted,
Where did you buy that new Mahavishnu Orchestra box set from?
I saw it listed at John Mclaughlin's site for $59.99, is anyone else selling it?

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set Mahavi10

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Popmarket.com

Peace, TED

Colin

Colin

Just recieved the Best of Mahavishnu Orchestra CD

This 15mins Bonus Live track from 1972
is Utter Bliss.

Far better than any Internet sound version.

This is a Quality 24bit Mastered CD

10 Outta 10

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set Bestmaha

I am playing it on my 7 Speakers Pioneer system, Wharfedale Speakers
Neo 6 Music setting.
so good to hear the band clear.
And Bills Solo - Pure Bliss. Power Rudiments.
Then towards the End John and Bill trading rifs.

I hope of the rest of that Gig comes out on other Bonus tracks CD's

Outtasight
Colin.

Last edited by Colin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:37 am; edited 5 times in total

Colin

Colin

Ted E. Bear wrote:
Popmarket.com

Peace, TED

Have ordered this box set with bonus disc
thanks for that link Ted

Outtasight
Colin

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Still waiting for my copy to arrive . I spoke with Gregg Bendian about the Mar Y Sol concert and he informed me that the entire concert does exist on tape. Whether or not that will ever come out is up to Sony. I did send them an email about it but got no response. I think it would have been nice to have included the entire concert in this box set since we are being asked again to purchase the first 4 albums which most of us already have, several times.

Peace, TED

Colin

Colin

Terry W. at Woundedbird
managed to achieve this bonus live 15min track from Sony Vaults
for the Best Of Mahavishnu on CD, 1st time out.

I give Terry top marks.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Just got the box set yesterday and the additional cuts from the Central Park gig are KILLER ! Awakening is just amazing !

the Noonward Race cut from Mar Y Sol is also about 2 minutes longer than the album version . The guy who edited the track did a heckuva job because for all these years , I thought what we were hearing was the actual total cut. This version adds much more of the interplay between Boomer and John when they duet with each other. As they re-proved at Montreux last year, they could be a duo act and would still be a monster band !

One sloppy mistake on the packaging : In the booklet and on the additional disc they title Rick Laird's piece Stepping Stones incorrectly BUT on the Lost Trident disc they title it correctly , which is Steppings Tones . Maybe a minor point, but doesn't anybody proofread or check anything before they put it out anymore ????

So what everyone has to decide is if having an additional hour of unreleased music from Central Park AND the complete version of Noonward Race from Mar Y Sol will justify spending the $54 or so for this release, assuming you already have the first 4 albums.

Colin , as you will likely agree when you get your copy, 11 out of 10 AND a DOUBLE BLISS !!

Peace, TED

Colin

Colin

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set 400709_2414681807458_1263715113_32065388_467893998_n

Yes Ted
7 Released New Edition Live tracks from the Vaults.

Love Billy Cobhams
Fibes Kit with Skins Real Tight.

And Great to here Jan on his Moog
on his own, they were tricky Instruments
but Jan Hammer makes you Smile.

John updating Dance Of Maya
and Working his Guitar to super levels.

Rick the important Bass to all the tracks.

Jerry making great sounds
Electric and Acoustic Violin.

Utter Bliss.

Best Of Mahavishnu Orchestra  CD    &   New Box Set 403836_2414794810283_1263715113_32065394_1646972467_n

Thank You to Bob Beldon, Richard Seidel, Seth Rothstein, Mark Wilder,
Maria Triana ,Marcus Wippersberg, Geg Bendian and Mike Kull.

For making the effort for this Great Bonus Disc.
And the 24bit Mastering.

10 Outta 10

Outtasight
Colin

tconrad

WOW!!!!!!!

Listened to "Vital Transformation" from the Bonus Live CD. .... They play it so fast my ears can hardly keep up. .... And they play it with such ensemble precision. .... I'm in awe. . . .

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---TConrad

Asaph

Asaph

Bummer. I just got a five CD set off ebay a couple weeks ago. Just has the five original albums, no extra material. Wish I had known about this other set. I also got the Trident sessions which is ... okay. Nothing compares to the band live, though. And I had not heard this stuff since days of vinyl. Lots of memories came back, to be sure.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Colin

Colin

Asaph wrote:Bummer. I just got a five CD set off ebay a couple weeks ago. Just has the five original albums, no extra material. Wish I had known about this other set. I also got the Trident sessions which is ... okay. Nothing compares to the band live, though. And I had not heard this stuff since days of vinyl. Lots of memories came back, to be sure.

I like the New Smaller Card with good Print on the side
takes up less space,
Also it means they are all 24bit now.

Outtasight
Colin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum