BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

studio live, moondance

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1studio live, moondance Empty studio live, moondance Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 pm

DrumWizard

My band had a pretty bad experience when we tried to record some demo stuff at a recording studio.
Some of the stuff was ok but there were some aspects that we definately didn't like, couldn't hear the playing very well, sounds, etc.
However here is one of the better recordings: what do you think of the sounds, the arrangements, togetherness.. is the band tight?
How is the singing/singer? This is sang while playing so the vocals at least have to be redone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql6dhLj-Lno

2studio live, moondance Empty Re: studio live, moondance Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:27 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Keys and bass are too loud! Vocals aren't
bad but he should do them over while not
playing. The begining of the tune was a bit
shaky. It seemed to take a little while for
keyboard player to find his bearings.

The overall sound and approach to the tune
sounds a little sterile. emotionally, it's not
saying very much. But then, I've never really
liked this song anyway. Rolling Eyes

3studio live, moondance Empty Re: studio live, moondance Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Sorry to hear you had a bad studio experience but it's something we all can relate to on this board I'm sure ! I thought the overall sound was decent though if this is a finished mix, I might have done things a little differently. But everyone has different taste and hears things differently.

I thought the singing was fine and the overall sound was together. I agree with Don about the feel - the tune is jazzy and it just didn't swing . IF your band is doing covers, which is usually what I do in my band, then staying true to the original arrangement and sound is what you're being paid to do. To that end, the singer needs to learn all the lyrics to the song and you changed the ending to the song, which might not appeal to an audience wanting to hear a cover of the original. But then agan, it's YOUR interpretation of the song, so you have to decide if that's important to you or not.

I had to smile a little when I saw your post because I have been putting together another band [ yes another one] during the past couple of months and we also cover that song. So I thought I would put it up for you to hear [ and just to annoy Don, whom I love, because he doesn't care for the song , LOL }

This is a rehearsal done in my basement in December - recorded live on my Edirol [ yes I know the bass is a little low in the mix ] - but this was done as a reference, not a demo. The bassist is singing on this one. I'm using Roland e-drums thru the P A.

Maybe some will like it, maybe not. www.drumminfool.com/recent/moondance.mp3

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

4studio live, moondance Empty Re: studio live, moondance Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

Asaph

Asaph

I liked the vocals in the first better, but that's a matter of taste, though I do think the first singer was on pitch better. But, yes, the first example lacked swing and emotion. Clean recording though, just needs more life to it.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

5studio live, moondance Empty moon Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 am

DrumWizard

I enjoyed your version of Moondance, Ted.. very good, very lively.. much more enjoyable than my band's version.

However, I think that my band's biggest fault was probably to copy the original too closely.. You cannot copy van Morrison, you have to make your own version.. taking some key points (hooks) but do your own thing...

Here is another one.. what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp06bXaqKbY

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum