BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

BILLY THE MAN, THE MUSIC AND THOSE WHO HELP HIM MAKE IT.

+7
Suss
Colin
Woody
Admin (Pete)
Ted E. Bear
Daveonskins
D. Slam
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

D. Slam

D. Slam

Posted with Billy's permission.

Hi everyone,

Over the last few days of working with Billy and Company in San Francisco, then having a couple of days off before starting the concert series in Oakland on Wednesday... I figured rather rather than reflect and focus this writing on what I actually did and am doing, I would instead share the first of a three part series with you from my privileged, behind the scenes experience of what I came away with (thus far) about Billy the man, the music and those who help him make it.

Billy the man:

Given Billy's constant worldly travels, I'd always figured him to be one engrossed in the music... He is actually but not like I thought. I figured him to be a man in this kind of constant musical haze that sort of left him somewhat detached and a bit distant from those around him... I just figured he had to be to do what he does. I learned very quickly that my perception isn't the case at all.

Billy is very in touch with those he chooses to work for him as not only business associates but friends... If not always that, then at the very least he understands and respects the physical and emotional needs they have as just (as Uncle John puts it) "men with skin." He laughs, he jokes around, he tells stories, music related and not. We would all sit down and have a meal before and sometimes after the show and have a grand ole time ribbing and teasing one another. Family and friends are in and out of his dressing room pretty regularly and there isn't an ounce of apprehension in the air. Billy, has really been looking out for me. When I bought something to eat at a sandwich shop across the street and took to the dressing room, BC shrugged his shoulders and gave me this befuddled look and said: "Why did you do that with all this food here?!" The next time food is available, I'm gonna make him wish he hadn't said that. affraid

The other band members would ask me if I played the drums and I'd make a comment like: "Sometimes", or "I try to." Billy would get a bit irritated with that and would interject with a frown: HE PLAYS THE DRUMS, DON'S A DRUMMER!!! My wife, Audrey had just gotten back from Japan and for Billy she brought back a hopi coat which is kind of like a thin polyester smoking jacket. It as a large colorful embroided dragon on the back. It's pretty cool actually. After greeting Audrey with a kiss, he immediately put it on and wore it the whole time he was in the dressing room. After the show, he put it back on and went out into the Lobby and hung out for a bit talking to family friends and fans. Audrey also brought a decorative plate and some hand painted chopsticks back for Billy's wife, Faina.

He used an in-ear monitoring system and somehow the 1/8 plug on the end of the cord was bent. I offered to take the cord home that night and fix it. I asked Billy if there was any particular time he wanted it back and he said that anytime before the show was fine. Me, over dramatizing the issue continued to press the matter thinking that he wanted well in advance so he could check things out.... He said in a very calm voice: "Don, Don't worry about it, anytime before the show is cool." With everything that's on his plate, there is a very calming effect that he has on himself and those around him.

Btw, the next day I walked into the dressing room and tried to stir up some trouble.. I put my hand over my mouth and said "Oh no! I forgot the cord!" Billy looked at me with a smirk and said: Yeah right, Don. You're a funny guy."

Even on stage, after nearly bringing the house down with a tune, he would pick up the mic and calmly, softly and very matter of factly speak to the audience. After the final show in SF and everyone had gone, Billy and Fiana went into the lounge where each enjoyed a glass of wine. The three of us sat and talked for a bit and I headed out for the 50 mile drive home.

Incidentally, Billy offered me some lessons between shows when he could fit them in. But being a player myself, I truly understand what it's like doing what he does, and I wanted him to enjoy his away time whenever that was possible. I was just grateful of just having the privilege of being there. In any case, this is Billy the man as I have seen him up close and a little personal.

Up next: The music

Don.

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Very cool Don,
thanks for sharing your experience with us. Cool Can't wait to hear part two-

D.L.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Way cool Don ! Can't wait for part two also ! Peace, TED Can't wait to see this band in Sept. Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

That dang Don is dang lucky!! Very Happy

He really is the father of us, all!!

Thank you, Don!! A great window!!

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

Woody

Woody

I wouldn't have expected anything less than what Don said about Billy.
A true professional.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

Colin

Colin

Great Report Don,
and good to hear the good times.

Keep On Keeping On.

Outtasight
Colin.

7BILLY THE MAN, THE MUSIC AND THOSE WHO HELP HIM MAKE IT. Empty I'm Jealous! Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 am

Suss

Suss

Yeah, that's right! I'm jealous! LOL!

Great report Nephew! It's nice to read about Billy apart from the music we've come to know over the years. I'm also looking forward to reading your next instalment.

Very Happy

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Niki

Niki

Don!What a great report, how cool that must be! I can only confirm the picture you are painting about how you experienced Billy and the people around him from my side. As you know I had the honor of doing the teching job a few times with Billy in Europe.Besides being the world class drummer and professional, he is a man who cares for the people around him and is deeply interested in - and I don't want to sound pathetic here, although I might do - making this world a better place. A very generous person in every way and always trying to learn...
In short, one of the greatest humanists I have ever met!

Enjoy the experience, I'm happy for you my friend! Very Happy

Peace
Niki

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

Anders

Anders

Thank you Don for your report and for sharing your experience and thoughts with us! Truly a rare and remarkable opportunity.

Kind regards,
Anders

Alex Sanguinetti

Alex Sanguinetti

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

http://www.alexsanguinetti.com

Igor

Igor

Billy, if you ever need a tech for your future gigs in Israel, you already have a volunteer ,his name is Igor bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum