BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Empty Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:01 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I really don't know WHAT to think just yet.
I wasn't very moved by this. I can tell you
that much.

Racman

Racman

Yes D...exactly. That's a good contrast to what I'm trying to say.

It's like trying to walk many roads that leads to no where...the same goes for solos that presents confusion, having no real direction or substance to it.

My apology but I had to stop it at mid-way but thank you for that. My main concern about these shows is that it's creating a market of it's own, and many are heading in that direction. My thinking is that there has to be, at some point in time, a burn out to these and hope for better enlightenment about context and music. In my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the last generation or perpetuation of great drummers ended in the 90s', heading into the early 20th century. So what we are seeing is a generational remnant of musical drummers trying to preserve the legacy in the midst of all the insensitivity to being musicians and are not worried about it. I feel that in time, guys like GC will be leading in raising that bar for the better. And I would think the great Duke knew what he was looking for.

I did not intend sounding bias or to demean anyone...it's just my opinion and that's all it is.

Rac

http://www.glennracoma.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

It's like trying to walk many roads that leads to no where...

You hit the nail square with that one, Rac.

And I understand you shutting er down half way through.
I kept watching with the hopes things would get better...

They didn't.

Asaph

Asaph

I seem to recall reading an interview with a previous winner and he mentioned the rules state you have to play/compose to different genres as part of your time. No particular genres, but it ends up dissecting the solo into chunks that a lot of the contestants find difficult to seamlessly weave together. Most use a drum pad to work it out, although I believe you can also use backing tracks, but maybe not.

It really isn't just a drum solo competition anymore. They are judged for showmanship, too (stick tricks and all), and other parameters.

I do not believe everybody is meant to do the Akira Jimbo-thing. If they just let these kids play for 5:00 and do their own thing and let it sink or swim on that foundation it would be far more natural.

It seems so odd. I never saw Billy, or Lenny, or Weckl or Vinnie or so many of the other greats do any stick tricks. Now it's considered mandatory for the drum-off.

It's the same thing as the WFD gig. Speed has become mandatory for people to be impressed with a solo. I still like Toad 45 years later. Even the solo from Ron Bushy, In-a-gadda-da-vida. That solo was mandatory for gym bands back in the day. Nothing fast, but musical, they were.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

I don't think stick tricks are mandatory but they definitely
play a factor in lifting your score when they are thrown in.

I haven't judged this competition in a couple of years now
so whatever new parameters may have been added, I wouldn't
know about. When I was judging, players just came in and did
their thing.

Asaph

Asaph

That's right, I remember you mentioning on the forum you judged one of these.

I'm not sure what 'showmanship' (stage presence) entails beyond stick tricks. I saw a yt video of a guy who did handstands on his throne, and basically jumped around like a gymnast. He got cheers from the crowd.

I just read the rules. Nothing about mandatory composition, but the use of the Roland SPD-30 is optional, and only patch sounds are usable, no loops, etc.

The guy I read the interview of said he decided to use the Roland to enhance his performance because it seemed to become the thing to do, as I recall. The guy above may have been experiencing too much adrenalin to make it flow well. The nerves must be on overdrive for that five minutes.

"Judging will be based on the judges’ personal interpretation of the following criteria: (1) overall performance; (2) originality; (3) technique; (4) stage presence; and (5) groove."

Originality. That is getting more and more difficult to pull off.

D. Slam

D. Slam

That's right, I remember you mentioning on the forum you judged one of these.

I judged a whole bunch of these, three years in a row.
One of the past winners I judged started his quest at
the G.C. I judged at... Eric Moore.

Asaph

Asaph

Seems like a lovely human being, too. I didn't know he did all the stick twirling. Can't say as I remember that in other vids I've seen of him.

You see Eric Moore and I wonder what other kids hope to put up against that kind of firestorm every year.

How did you get to be a judge? Must be fun.

Racman

Racman

Wow...this guy sounds great all way around. Knows just where to put what.

Thanks, great player.

10Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Empty Re: Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Racman

Racman

An ole high school buddy of mine sent me this on Facebook. As the saying goes; 'If it ain't got that swing, it don't mean a thang! Louie Armstrong, her man!!

Unless you want to understand where this little lady is coming from (section 0:30), you can bypass the documentary (Japanese) and get to the meat of video around point 31:00 - her performance!

Had fun watching it...

11Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Empty Re: Rac, here's the 2013 drum off winner. Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:19 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I am a personal of the drum manager (Sid Thompson) there, Asaph. We
go way back to the early 80's.

He called and asked me. I was there when Eric won the store finals the
first time, bombed out the second and won the whole deal the third.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum