BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

https://www.facebook.com/MalleusDrumPedals

What do you think?

[img]MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Malleu10[/img]

2MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Asaph

Asaph

One of the things that does not make sense to me about the Sleishman is the static placement. If your legs are shorter or longer than the set-up your knees are going to be strained, your hips, too.

The gig here is the same. It certainly looks well machined. I've read the Malleus has some staunch supporters in Europe.

One of the things I really like about the OFF SET is the double spring configuration, if I am going to play an expansion spring pedal. It really does make a difference when you have that extra section to move.

The beaters look strange. If that is a reflection on the heads are they aluminum? I'm curious about the three, what look like set screws. Does the head have adjustment features? THAT is a given for today's pedals. I continue to use my Tama and Yamaha beaters because of their rotating heads.

I see they are long boards. Nice. Drumnetics is now making long boards.  

Matter of fact Mike is making me a right handed slave and I am hooking it and the left slave I have up to OFF SET's center section and have the best of both worlds for a double pedal. Ideally I'd like a Drumnetics center section but, Charles Fisher has the patent on that footprint, which causes me to wonder how Malleus is putting this thing out there. Charles put the screws to Sonor when they released their centered pedal.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

3MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:15 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I'm highly curious and would really like to try a
center double pedal configuration. Except for
the static setup this one looks cool and like
you said, Asaph, well machined.

I'm somewhat puzzled as to why this system
has not caught on more. I'm thinking the switch
may not be worth the price of these units. Like
myself there may be many out there that would
love to have one. Just not at the cost of mort-
gaging their homes.

4MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 am

Asaph

Asaph

As I recall I got my OFF SET for around 300 when I got it some years back. I don't know what he charges today. But I thought the price was very reasonable, if not a steal for a double pedal of that quality. I know the Sonor cost a boatload of money, which is what Fisher forced them to do to keep it out there.

I don't know what the Sleishman costs. I imagine this Malleus must be a hefty sum like the Sonor.

I recommend the centered pedals because of the benefit to the anatomy. No twisting of spine, hips, knees or ankles. Everything is naturally centered. I noticed the difference instantly after 20 years of regular dble pedals.

The Malleus has a a centered section(s) that is pretty cool, actually. It isn't a device holding two beaters. Each beater has it's own post. Very nice design.

5MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:55 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, I'd love to be able to check this out.
So, Asaph, maybe I'm misunderstanding you,
but do you own a Malleus pedal?

If not, what brand of "off set" pedals are you
talking about?

6MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Asaph

Asaph

I own Charles Fisher's OFF-SET dble pedal.

http://off-set.net/Off-Set/Home.html

I believe the general term for these types of pedals is "Bi-lateral."

7MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:26 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ahhh, One would think that "off set" would refer to the
standard setup since it's off set to the left while the
off set pedal is actually centered.

What's your take on the concept by comparison? I've
never had the privilege to play one of these.

8MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Empty Re: MALLEUS MIDDLE DRUM PEDAL Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:40 pm

Asaph

Asaph

The comparison, part for part, is no different than any other spring driven pedal, really. The main thing for me, instantly noticeable, is the physical comfort. That allowed me to play more fluidly for much longer periods of time with no stress on joints.

Some years back I was sitting in front of the tv watching a drum video. I set up my dble pedal (Yamaha), beaters downward, and I had my practice pad. I placed the pedal centered in front of me, like I naturally sit, so the beaters were off to my right. Don't know why. I just did. I noticed an instant relief on my back and hips and knees. I was stunned. I had seen pictures of guys who place their bass drum off to the right a little to encompass that configuration. I tried it but, the visual effected my balance and everything felt off.

I didn't know bi-lateral pedals existed. Right around that time I saw a thread on a forum about the Sleishman and the OFF-SET came up as well. I emailed Charles, and immediately ordered one. I married to it right off. It not only has nice features for adjustments but, having the kick centered in front of me felt empowering somehow. The feel of the sound is centered and seems to enable a more balanced approach back and forth, pedal to pedal, and the design ensures the feel is exactly the same between the two. The cam adjustment is really nice. Like Yamahas it has the spanner bar below the axle, which I believe creates a more stable feel. The board is wide and the unit is built like a tank. Like I mentioned above the double set of springs really makes a difference, too. It's a world class pedal. After various DW, Pearl, Tama and Yamaha (my previous favorite) dbles that pedal became my favorite. I used it until getting the Drumnetics, and I still have it and use it right now, while I wait for the Drumnetics slave.

I own the Drumnetics double and love it but, I'm not going back to the traditional bass drum placement. I don't mind placing my edrum kick off to the right and using the Drumnetics for that. For now, though I'll use the Drumnetics along with the OFF-SET center section.

I have never tried the others. The Sonor is just ridiculously priced. The Sleishman ... you either like the pedal spread or you are stuck, like the Malleus. The OFF-SET has a great price. No brainer for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum