BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete, this is where it all started for me.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

D. Slam

D. Slam

Papa P. Whenever you hear something I've done, you always refer to the "crack" of my snare drum. Well, this is where it all started for me. This is the man and the band that I would have to say has and have had the biggest influence on my general style and approach to playing. In my opinion, when the music has it's driving moments, it's the snare drum that sets that mood and tone.

And it's really not just about how hard you hit but how you hit it and how you have it tuned. I find it just about impossible to convey a true funk feel without incorporating the rim with the drum head. I really don't hit the drum that hard. I draw what I want out of it in how as well as where I hit it.

Check out this short clip of James Brown and his band slamming "I can't stand it." I can't tell if that's Clyde back there or not but whoever, he's kickin James in the arse straight through the snare drum!

Thank you for everything, Mr. Brown. Truly, you are the father of funk! king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKzpb45IDOE&feature=related

D.

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Get back!!

Shocked afro

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

woofus

woofus

Heard this great production on fav radio show Underground Garage last Sunday night:

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

rarebit

Don't forget about *when* you hit it!

D. Slam

D. Slam

rarebit wrote:Don't forget about *when* you hit it!

I've always looked at the "when" as sort of a given, rarebit. You HAVE to be on time and in sync with everyone and everything else. Also, playing a "funk" beat doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to come out funky.

In reality, many of the beats that I apply to the funk stuff I do are actually more rock oriented in nature. (boom - tat - boom-boom-tat - boom - tat, etc.) It's how I apply them (along with the tuning) that allows them cross over and resonate the desired feel.

D.

rarebit

D. Slam wrote:
rarebit wrote:Don't forget about *when* you hit it!

I've always looked at the "when" as sort of a given, rarebit. You HAVE to be on time and in sync with everyone and everything else. Also, playing a "funk" beat doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to come out funky.

In reality, many of the beats that I apply to the funk stuff I do are actually more rock oriented in nature. (boom - tat - boom-boom-tat - boom - tat, etc.) It's how I apply them (along with the tuning) that allows them cross over and resonate the desired feel.

D.

I agree- playing a funky beat out of a book or something doesn't mean it will sound funky even if you have all the chops in the world.. That's why when people start arguing about who's a better drummer or whatever...it's all doo doo. Anyways, what I meant was- not just in time, but *when* you hit it in relation to everything else.

D. Slam

D. Slam

I understand and agree, rarebit... Thanks for your input.

D.

kenny

kenny

Hi guys,
I played a gig the other night and the guitarist said that he tended to play ahead of the beat. he thought it might confuse me and cause me to rush. When people talk about playing ahead or behind the beat i find it a puzzling concept. It doesn't really make sense to me on some level like i can understand it theoretically but in practice? I don't know. I guess it's a fine point that is subtle and maybe take a lifetime to comprehend fully. I just don't really like these terms behind and in front what happened to playing together. I'm sure i must sound like an amatuer but it is confusing to me on a very basic level.

BTW Did you guys see the stax/volt tour from sweden from the 60's on PBS? I saw the 1st half or so. It is awesome who IS that drummer !? i dig those drum endings they are too funky!! It featured Booker T, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett,Otis Redding and I pretty sure James Brown headlined, it's phenomenal!! afro

http://www.balkanmusic.org

rarebit

kenny wrote:Hi guys,
I played a gig the other night and the guitarist said that he tended to play ahead of the beat. he thought it might confuse me and cause me to rush. When people talk about playing ahead or behind the beat i find it a puzzling concept. It doesn't really make sense to me on some level like i can understand it theoretically but in practice? I don't know. I guess it's a fine point that is subtle and maybe take a lifetime to comprehend fully. I just don't really like these terms behind and in front what happened to playing together. I'm sure i must sound like an amatuer but it is confusing to me on a very basic level.

BTW Did you guys see the stax/volt tour from sweden from the 60's on PBS? I saw the 1st half or so. It is awesome who IS that drummer !? i dig those drum endings they are too funky!! It featured Booker T, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett,Otis Redding and I pretty sure James Brown headlined, it's phenomenal!! afro

I don't like to think in terms of playing ahead or behind the beat either. It's like if you have a click track and play a touch behind the click then your playing behind the beat. I suppose you could get really good at it and tell everybody you can play behind the beat perfectly. That doesn't mean it's gonna sound good. It just means your playing behind the beat.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well, I don't really know much about playing ahead of the beat, but I do understand the idea of playing behind it and it can be extremely effective. Much to do right now but some time later today, I will post an example of a song I have of this very concept.

D.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum