BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ted doin ' I'm Your Ice Cream Man" from 3/4/10

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Here's another one from that gig on Thursday nite . I'm your ice cream Man , a 12 bar blues, with swing. You''ll hear Tim call it out, and away we go !

And at the end of the song Tim plays the melody from the Mister Softee ice cream trucks that have permeated the New York area during the summer for decades. Maybe some of you have Mister Softee in your area ? I'd be curious to hear about that. If you do, then you should recongnize the melody that the trucks would play over and over and over whenever they came to your neighborhood to sell ice cream. good stuff, though !

Hope you enjoy this one too, and are not getting too sick of me posting these ! Thanks !

www.drumminfool.com/recent/icecreamman3-4-10.wmv

Peace, TED

Last edited by Ted E. Bear on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Keep em comin, Ted, that's what this side of the forum is for... I'll check this one out tomorrow.

spanky

spanky

Nice Ted, now on another note, Mister Softee ice cream trucks, if I can remember right Mister Softee started here in Philly, been seeing them all my life.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

You're right Spanky, I looked it up and they stated in Philly in 1952. Have over 600 franchises in the Northeast, and their headquarters are in New Jersey.

That's why we've both been seeing and hearing them our whole lives ! LOL

peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

TED DID THE ICE CREAM MAN??!! Shocked

Anders

Anders

Yes, but you Don "did Weckl" some months ago Very Happy (The 8th of September 2009, topic Don does Weckl)

Kind regards,
Anders

D. Slam

D. Slam

Shut up, Anders! Nobody's talking to you.... lol! lol! lol!

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Man's got my back Don ! All the way in Finland ! Way to go Anders !

And Don, at least watch it bro before you snap on it ! LOL

Peace,, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yes, Ted, you're right, and I will.... It takes me a bit of time to get pumped up for the long downloads.... I understand and I'm not complaining as I'm grateful to be able to watch these... It just takes me a bit of time to get up for the wait. Kinda like when I mail you music... I'm gettin better though... tongue

Anders

Anders

Yes, Ted has some European gays... no I mean guys backing him up.... Very Happy

Don, in all seriousness this what I wrote on the 7th of September 2009 about you covering that Weckl track still holds even to a greater extent: "You're a musician of high calibre Don! I watched that opening drum solo three times in awe. I also like the tuning of your toms. There's a similar drum sound on Cobham's albums Total Eclipse and Shabazz".

Is your fusion band still doing gigs?

Kind regards,
Anders

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, Anders,

I remember that and thank you for those kind words. In truth, I thought the drum solo kinda sucked!
I remember even now how I just felt out of sorts when trying to get through it. But it is what it is and
I posted it anyway because it's all a learning experience and I want to share not so good moments as
well as my better ones so you all can see my work in progress.

We are still together and we are writing and recording at the moment. I was going to keep that a secret
but what the heck... We hope to be out performing again by mid-spring or early summer. Thank you again,
Anders for your kind words. And I'll be sure and keep you informed as to our progress.

Cheers, cheers

Don.

P.S. You didn't have to correct yourself concerning Ted... queen

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

lol! lol! lol! lol!

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted E. Bear wrote:lol! lol! lol! lol!

That's right, Ted.... You know I love you enough to hurl insults your way. jocolor

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I can feel the love !!!!! and I love you enough to accept them and laugh as well !! Suspect

Peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

I really liked what you and the bass player played from a jazz platform. Gees, the bass player is quite good and I dug his solo. You have a very nice touch, Ted. I'm hearing things from you that I didn't know you touched upon and that's what makes this section of the forum so great.

Overall, I feel something with a bit more drive like a Texas shuffle would have worked better with this, but only for the reason that the guitar solo was a blues/rock feel and a bit heavy for the style and feel the rest of the band was providing. It's pretty obvious he's not a jazz player.

Interesting gel of styles to say the least. The main thing is that you and your audience were having fun. That in itself is nothing less than a win, win situation.

D.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

thanks for watching Don and for the kind words. I knew you would like this as you never heard me swing on anything I'v e put up before. The bassist, Eddie Denise also plays upright as well. In May he will be playing in Atlantic City with Dion DiMucci. Since I'm not sure if you recognize the name his hits were The Wanderer, Runaround Sue, Abraham Martin & John, and King of the New York Streets to name a few. another Bronx boy.

the first guitarist who soloed was Mark Hitt who is a rocker as you said. But the second guitar solo with the scatting was by Tim and was definitely very jazzy, at least I think so. It's really a blues song so the first solo also fits but with the swinging does have an interesting mesh of styles there. And yes, we all had loads of fun on this one - as I said , this was one of the best gigs I've ever played on.

Now I can put up another classic. The next one is by the Beatles.

Peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

You're right about the other guitarist... That one slipped by me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum