BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

German bootleg of John, Carlos, Doug Rauch and Billy '74

+2
Walter
Ted E. Bear
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Colin

Colin

http://sudo.3.pro.tok2.com/Quest/cards/B/BillyCobham/index.html

German bootleg  of John, Carlos, Doug Rauch and Billy '74 LiveInChicago1974

JOHN McLAUGHLIN / CARLOS SANTANA:
RECORDED LIVE IN CHICAGO 1974
JAZZ DOOR, JD 1250(CD)
(C)(P)1993 ITM MEDIA, INC., GERMANY
RECORDED: 1974
RELEASED: 1993, GERMANY
CREDITS (productions) :
Recorded live in Chicago 1974
Cover: Lutz Menze Design

CREDITS (musicians) :
John McLaughlin : guitar
Carlos Santana : guitar
Larry Young : organ
Doug Rough : bass
Armando Peraza : percussion
Billy Cobham : drums

TRACKS (total time 75:34) :
1. Flame Sky (20:04)
2. Naima (15:46)
3. The Live Divine (20:08)
4. A Love Supreme (19:30)

Abstact Logix get the official rights for this
A CD that would sell.

Rare.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

There is a better boot out with the entire concert. It's 3 discs instead of one.

Same concert. Bought it a number of years ago.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Walter

Walter

I purchased this album years ago. Strangely, it was stocked by a legitimate record store chain, I can't remember the name of the chain though.

Colin

Colin

Walter wrote:I purchased this album years ago. Strangely, it was stocked by a legitimate record store chain, I can't remember the name of the chain though.

Yes Some stores are cocky
or have staff that would sell there own mother.

Outtasight
Colin.

kenny

kenny

i have it already as well. After the novelty wore off i always felt like the love devotion surrender album other than Naima was a little too wild and unrestrained for even my taste. It just seems like a shredfest with very little substance in the way of structure or melodic movement. But these live recordings kind of make more sense as it seems more in context played live. I'll have to revisit that stuff and see how i feel about it again. I usually like intense stuff i guess i'm getting old or maybe it is more abrasive and irritating than it was melodic and satisfying. I mean the mahavishnu orchestra had serious structure to it, this was like BLAAAAAAA4#@*&^()@#%*^%$#@!%#$^(^%AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh No

http://www.balkanmusic.org

D. Slam

D. Slam

Funny you should say this, Kenny. You know I've never considered myself a collector of music.
I never by a record simply for the fact that a given person or persons are on it. I have to like it!
and enjoy listening to the music that's on it. I remember buying Inner Conflicts when it first came
out. I was very excited. I got it home and put on the turn table.... Within the hour I was on my
way back to Tower Records to return it. I simply couldn't get behind that record.

And of course I was crazy about Billy but I couldn't handle that one. I'll try it again someday as much
of my musical perspective has changed. But music that I don't like will not find a home here, I don't
care who it's from. If it does by chance happen to find a place, it winds up just sitting on my shelf
collecting dust.

Anyway, I have these Santana CD's. they are surely among the early fusion material with players trying
to reverse the rotation of the earth with speed, power and notes. I'm not criticizing though, as that's the
way it was then, and we needed that! Those are the days and musical concepts that has gotten jazz fusion
to the more refined state it is today. And personally I like what's happening now much more than what was
going on back then. I know that a lot of folks don't but I DO!

I'd always hear folks cutting down the Chick Corea Electric Band, saying that they were too watered down
and too commercial... But I loved them back in the late 80's and early 90's. They stand today as one of my
all time favorite jazz-fusion bands. But the fusion back in the day, and the way it was played had to be what
it was to get us where we are now. I mean, it sort of started with Miles with some really bizarre stuff. And it
just evolved (or devolved depending who's listening) from there.

Colin

Colin

Inner Conflicts track
Sythes and Drums witrh Phasors
is great to Animation races.

You have to understand These are a group of tracks Billy had
and with that whole of side 1 on the mega 'Inner conflicts' track added
it was from around 1975
and in 1978 Bill was with CBS
and owed Atlantic a recording
so it was a Record to fill a contract
and no recording dates were on it
just said Atlantic 1978.

I think Bill on Early Keyboard Synthesizers and Moogs
and on Drums with Phasors
are Great.

I can dig the massive effort Bill put into that track on his own.

I would Love Just the Drums, cow bells and Phasors Mix of it

Outtasight
Colin.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Inner Conflicts track

I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, Colin!! Question

In any case, whatever the reasons were behind the making of that record,
the album didn't appeal to me. I'm not saying it was horrible or badly done.
It just wasn't my cup of tea, so I returned it.

Colin

Colin

D. Slam wrote:
Inner Conflicts track

I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, Colin!! Question

In any case, whatever the reasons were behind the making of that record,
the album didn't appeal to me. I'm not saying it was horrible or badly done.
It just wasn't my cup of tea, so I returned it.

Sure its a Future sound from around 1975
but that Drum kit is big and with Phasors
and Keyboard Synthesizers that is a Outstanding effort
made by Bill.

I think if you had the Drums Only mix
you would love it.

Feel The Force.

Outtasight
Colin.

boomer

By the way, I recorded Inner Conflicts in 1975 as I was out of my contract by the end of 1976. I signed with CBS in 1977. Just like the Wounded Bird scenario, I suspect much of what you see is the "Shark eating itself" as in some one issuing this stuff with the blessings of the parent company in order to attract new buyers. Boomer

Colin

Colin

boomer wrote:By the way, I recorded Inner Conflicts in 1975 as I was out of my contract by the end of 1976. I signed with CBS in 1977. Just like the Wounded Bird scenario, I suspect much of what you see is the "Shark eating itself" as in some one issuing this stuff with the blessings of the parent company in order to attract new buyers. Boomer

Back in 1978
when the record store showed they me Inner Conflicts (USA Import)
I asked how can that be on Atlantic when he is on CBS.
They did not know - but they knew I would enjoy the Title track.
I thought he must be clever doing that 2 Record deals same year.

Its a real shame so many record stores are
gone for good.
As that help from record stores helped me go beyond
so many area's of music.

Young folks now are stuck in a Void of youtube or something.

Atlantic got me buying Inner Conflicts
as at that time Billy Cobham was one of the best
around on Drums.
The Cover is a Work Of Art.

German bootleg  of John, Carlos, Doug Rauch and Billy '74 BillyCobhamInnerConflicts

Outtasight
Colin.

D. Slam

D. Slam

as at that time Billy Cobham was one of the best
around on Drums.

He still is, Colin... He still is.

kenny

kenny

Ted E. Bear wrote:There is a better boot out with the entire concert. It's 3 discs instead of one.

Same concert. Bought it a number of years ago.

Peace, TED
I'm listening to my copy it was a double cd. it's really nice actually. kind of a return to some funk roots in spots and a calling back to the original mahavishnu vibe also.
Billy sounds great on here. Everybody does. i'm not sure where this is from as i can't find the cd case but I imagine it's the only recording of it's kind. It has this great 14 minute boomer tune on it that i can't recall the name of but it's probably my favorite of billy's tunes. Do you have a setlist for the other tunes on that illegitimate release "boot"? This got me in a boomer mood now i got spectrum and total eclipse out. these are super good albums.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Yes Kenny there was also a two disc release of that concert and there was also a reissue release of the studio Love, Devotion & Surrender album with alternate takes. That was a legit release.

I've checked the setlist from my triple live boot and here's whats on the discs.

Disc One - The Life Divine
A Love Supreme

Disc Two - Follow Your Heart
Naima
Flame Sky

Disc Three - Samba de Sausalito
with Percussion solo and drum solo . that's what the CD lists. Actually this was Boomer's Taurian Matador . And man does it smoke !

Let us Go Into the House of the Lord
Meditation

total time for the concert was 2 hours 30 minutes and 5 seconds

Interesting sidebar here is that John M. and Carlos S. will be doing something together this year concert-wise. They are not revealing details because it's still being developed. It may be a one-off concert in Europe. I would be stoked to see them do something with Boomer - maybe a Love, Devotion ,Surrender thing. Stay tuned.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum