BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY.....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Clarence Clemons of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band Dead at 69

Posted on Jun 18th 2011 8:48PM by Benjy Eisen

Tragic news from E Street: After suffering a severe stroke last Sunday (June 12), legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons -- who, for four decades, faithfully served as the face of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band -- died on Saturday, June 18. He was 69. The New York Times has confirmed the news via a spokesperson for Springsteen.

While the E Street Band made a virtual brand-name out of each of the group's musicians for their respective instrument, Clemons was an obvious go-to for Springsteen, who affectionately referred to him as "Big Man" from the stage, especially when calling out for one of Clemons' jubilant sax solos, which punctuated Springsteen's blue-collar rock 'n' roll in a way that nothing else could.

News of Clemons' stroke rippled throughout the music community last Sunday, and as support began to pour in, an email account was even set up so that fans could direct their outpouring of support directly to the Big Man himself. On Tuesday (June 14), Springsteen issued a statement updating fans as to Clemons' progress. While describing the stroke as "serious," the Boss went on to say, "While all initial signs are encouraging, Clarence will need much care and support to achieve his potential once again." Towards the end of the week, however, his condition reportedly began to deteriorate, following two emergency brain surgeries.

The partnership between Springsteen and Clemons has been well documented. While their camaraderie and sense of brotherhood was apparent to anybody who ever watched Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band perform live, the bond was so deep that on the group's defining 'Born to Run' album, Springsteen is famously depicted on the front cover leaning on someone. The back cover reveals that someone to be Clemons.

Clemons had a career outside of the E Street Band too, occasionally appearing in television shows ('Diff'rent Strokes'), movies ('Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure') and touring in Ringo Starr's All-Star Band among others.

You're going to be impossible to replace and impossible to forget, Big Man.

http://www.drumminfool.com

2THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Colin

Colin

Yes he will be missed

Gave a Special Sound
to E Street.

THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... 16014990
Mondays Free UK Paper

Outtasight
Colin.

3THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm

spanky

spanky

I knew he was sick I just didn't know how much.

4THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

woofus

woofus

The world is mourning this loss Bigtime because of the strong emotional connection to the music. I'm not even a huge fan, but found myself in tears once at a concert during a rendition of The River.

Ted, I'm sure you have some ties to the band. I have a few. Clarence lived locally. Our former bass player was his doorman and when they often ran into one another at the supermarket, Clarence called Johnny "Little Man". That's a huge honor. Our longtime pianist worked with Clarence about 6 months in his house band twice weekly. And my cousin whom I've never met, is Springsteen's longtime manager, Barry Bell, to whom an album is dedicated.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

5THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Woofus, in all honesty, I do not care for Sprinngsteen's music. I would not go see him if you gave me a ticket. I think he's way overrated, and his voice is horrible.

That being said, I have seen Clarence once live when he guested with the Grateful Dead and I've seen Nils Lofgren live when he played with Ringo. I think they're both decent musicians, but nothing super-exceptional.

Springsteen is like a God to many in this area, and I've heard all the reviews about the great show he always puts on. For his fans, I can appreciate that. He's written a few good songs. I like Rosalita, and Because the Night . But overall, he's not my cup of tea.

I do feel sorry for the fans to lose Clarence because I can understand what it means when a long-time member is taken away.

On the same sad note, this morning we learned that Leslie West of Mountain fame had his leg amputated due to complications from diabetes. Since I have the disease myself, I can certainly identify with the bad news and hope that isn't something I have in my future. and since Leslie is also a local boy, it's had a big ripple effect around here already.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

6THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:45 pm

woofus

woofus

Not at all surprised by the way you feel about Springsteen; pretty much how I felt throughout the 70s where he was also a God to many in Chicago. But he won me over with pure heart. I also like his involvement with Pete Seeger, as well as Warren Zevon's last record. Bruce has a home here, too, not far from where Clarence lived. Here's local news in today's paper, including this editorial:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/editorials/he-meant-everything-1551221.html

And this feature story:
http://www.pbpulse.com/music/2011/06/20/clarence-clemons-remembering-the-big-man-at-home-on-singer-island/

Regarding diabetes, please consider the fact gastric bypass surgery cures it rapidly and it's not about weight loss (legal in Brazil for the non-obese). I'm NOT promoting the surgery because it doesn't work longterm. It's about infected small intestines, usually bacterial overgrowth in obesity. But thin people also have diabetes and there it's a matter of poor sanitation (I believe protozoal cause), internal and external. India actually has the most diabetics in the world. They don't yet understand it's about microbial predisposition and poor sanitation. In either case, a good cleansing, diet and exercise would help you immeasurably (because science can't measure microbial health). Gut flora is everything, all health begins there. You ever wanna talk about it, please yell, this is my favorite subject.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

8THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Empty Re: THE BIG MAN HAS PASSED AWAY..... Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

RIP, CC.

What a great example of real support.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum