BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Are The Vegas Odds Of Success On Today's Major Label Re

+4
boomer
Suss
D. Slam
kenny
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Suss

Suss

Hi Guys... I realize that most who participate here are likely not involved in the business of Major Labels, however Mose's recent article on the current dynamics motivated me to share with you at his request. My sharing is for information only. I can say that I've been at each of these levels both from a creative and business aspect - and on both sides of the table back in the 90s when I was the head of the music industry's largest Gospel record label with international distribution.

For the most part, I agree with Moses Avalon... while realizing that from a creative standpoint, many of us are just satisfied with the opportunities we have to just play our instrument(s) for others to appreciate. Yet the reason why I no longer work for CGI Records is because of their business model (i.e. why sign-up everyone without the intent to release the first product?). I have a suspicion that in some cases has proven to be fact when it comes to catalog and publishing. Anyway, kindly read on...

What Are The Vegas Odds Of Success On Today's Major Label Record Deal?
================================================================
It is a known fact that many acts get stuck in limbo once singed to a major record label, neither being released or advanced to the next level. How many of the acts that majors sign ever actually get released, or make a second album? Are the odds of commercial success better by staying Indie, or about the same, all things considered? The following answers, from the new tell-all book 100 Answers to 50 Questions on the Music Business by music business veteran Moses Avalon, are real eye-openers.
Moses Avalon
In Las Vegas, the odds to each game are readily available: roulette, 33:1; blackjack, 1.5:1 (if played optimally); craps, anywhere from 2:1 to 9:1. But what about the chances of getting signed and having a successful career recording albums? Sure, there a lot of factors, like if you've got talent—but what about the raw odds? The “Vegas odds”?
I did some research and was intrigued to find that there are no published stats on this. Here, perhaps for the first time, are the "Vegas odds" of record deals and going major verses staying indie.
***NOTE: All math equations are noted by a number in parenthesis (#) and the equation is at the bottom of the post. I do this to maintain the narrative flow. (Also, I hate math.)
This piece is pretty involved. You can keep reading the text only version below. But for the actual math, links to research and of course, your amazing comments, go here. http://su.pr/61XETl
GETTING SIGNED
According to my sources at the various major labels, each year approximately 43,000 demos are sent to the 35 major labels. (Up from about 30,000 ten years ago.) I consider these 35 labels "major" as they are directly connected to the Four Major US Distributors or their affiliates. Out of those 43,000 demo submissions a total of about 30 get that rare multi-album deal of yesteryear which includes a large advance and all the perks (down from about 150 in the early 2000s). But, if you count all the demo, development, P&D, and various forms of 360 and licensing deals, it adds up to about 1,000 new deals each year. It's not an even split. Between Universal, Warner, Sony/BMG and EMI it can get pretty lopsided, with about 500 deals parsed throughout the massive family of Universal labels, alone.
So, the Vegas Odds of even getting signed to one label if you submit your demo to all four major labels is about 1:42. Just a little bit worse than playing double-zero on the roulette wheel. But now, let's drill down. . .
GETTING RELEASED
Getting signed is one thing. Getting released is another. And actually fulfilling your five-album commitment is yet another thing entirely.
In the past, out of these 1,000 aggregate label signings only around 250 would have been released to the public or have been promoted from "demo deal" to "album deal." But since 2008 this number has been reduced to the current level of about 100 per year. So, the odds of being released after you beat the 1:42 odds are about 1:9. Big leap. So far, this brings the aggregate odds to go from minimum wage pizza-delivery guy to low-six-figure playa' to about 1:429. (1)
Of the 100 albums released, only 50 will sell enough records to justify a second album. Of that 50, about 30 will make a third. Of the 30, only about 20 will make a fourth on the same label, or have their contract “up-streamed” to a parent label.
We are now in roughly the 6th year of the multi-album deal and it is usually here that is the tipping point for the artist; the point at which he can now feel secure that he will never likely have to return to his day job. (A sell-through of 70% of units shipped will earn you a next shot. If you have an out-of-the-box smash hit record at any point in this process, you leap-frog immediately into year-six, or fourth album status.)
I think most of us would agree that this benchmark is "success," no matter how you measure it: doing music and nothing else to pay the bills. By album four (roughly six years into the major label deal) the artist can remove that Bachelor's degree in computer science from their den and replace it with a Gold record plaque. They will buy a new house, maybe several, hire relatives to work for them and become a demanding pain-in-the-ass to the label.
When major labels say that less than 5% of the artists they sign “make a profit," this is the basic concept they are referring to. However, this is misleading. In essence, even if most major label signings don't result in the creation of a superstar, the dropped or "failed" acts left behind at album two or three or dropped one album after their sales peek, still generate enough ancillary interest (read "income") to create mini-empires with myriad revenue streams. These are the "one-hit wonders" who still tour and generate mass appeal off their single hit from 20 years ago. They sell records of new releases in respectable numbers and can still fill a 3,000-seat venue. And remember — these artists are considered the “failures” by major label standards. Which ain't a bad way to fail, if you ask me.
So, that brings the Vegas Odds of going from basement tape to having the label release your album to about 1:429, and the aggregate odds to go from garage-dope to Grammy-hope (or at least making it to your 4th Option Period) at a whopping 1:2149! (2)
THE LONGER YOU PLAY THE HARDER TO STAY
But, the odds have an interesting dynamic if you survive the major label game a few years. Now, this gets a bit complex and rather than make this piece 10,000 words with graphs, here's the simple math:
Let's say you're one of the 500 signed to a label in the Universal family. In year one you're competing with the other 499 freshmen plus the already existing 1,500 or so senior acts at have survived this game and have product in the UMVD retail pipeline. You're actually competing with about 2000 acts for promotion/marketing money from the label.
This is hard enough, but, by your third release, it will be year four. That means you will have the 500 acts signed that year, the 1,500 senior acts, (the senior number remains constant because large distributors budget for the same amount of releases, more or less, each year) the remaining 50 from the class right after you, and the 20 remaining in your class. So, about 2,070! (500 + 1500 + 50 + 20 = 2,070)
Now remember that this expansion is happening at other labels as well. Even tough the math is convoluted, you can see where this is going. The longer you survive, the larger the field becomes (contrary to what you probably thought). Just like Vegas, the longer you play, the more challenging it is to win; as the stakes rise, so too does the quality of the competition.
So the 1:2149 odds are probably too low as a constant and will actually increase as you approach superstar status. Remember that now you are in the 1:2149 club and everyone else there wants to be the million-to-one superstar. History has taught labels that even if you sold millions of your last release, this does not mean you'll repeat that level of sales in your current release. You have to prove yourself each time to the marketing team, with each new release. And every year there are more artists entering in that particular competition (as they survive each level in this game) and the harder it is to get attention from your sugar-daddy, the major label.
What will you do to stand out? Now that you've beaten some of the toughest odds on the planet, what will you do to hold on? Just about anything.
Now you know why beak-out acts seem to do stupid things just to get publicity. Or why some artist's sound remains consistent to their formula from one album to the next. They are trying to duplicate the 1:2149 odds. They are trying to make lightning strike twice, because guess what, the inverse of those odds also resemble the odds of getting dropped. Like most competitions, you get more desperate towards the end-game as the challenges ramp up to a steep gradient. And 1:2149 is pretty steep.
STAYING INDIE
Think your chances of quitting your day job are better without a major label -- or for that matter -- any label? No one to compete with for marketing dollars? Guaranteed release of all five albums? Less pressure to stay on top. Could be. Let's see.
According to SoundScan, in 2009 all labels/artists of every size in the US released a total of approximately 100,000 titles. But just a little over 2,000 titles sold more than 5,000 units. Which for an indie record label or DIY artist is often thought of as the (break-even) point that financially justifies an investment in a followup release. (Although many will make a second album whether it's financially justified or not.)
In simple probabilities this means a 2% chance of success, or odds of 1:49. (Rounded to nearest whole number.) Which is on par with the major label odds of just getting any deal at all! Sounds great, right? But... in the DIY scenario you will not be getting the support of a marketing department, professional publicist, SEO people, producers, A&R guidance, and let us not forget-- Advances. And...
To reach the same plateau of success of the artist who has beaten the 1:2149 odds on the major, you have sell in the top 2% consistently for six years in a row as well as having year after year of profitable tours and merchandise sales. All with virtually no corporate safety net.
There is no way to calculate those odds without a team of actuaries but we do have some anecdotal data from which to draw a raw math formula: Imagine going up to a roulette wheel with 50 numbers on it (remember in this scenario 1 in 50 releases sells enough to warrant a second release) and hitting the winning number 6 times in a row. The probability is 50 to the 6th power or about 15,624,999,999:1. (Yes that is 15.6 Billion!) (3)
Okay, that is preposterous. Certainly many artists have beaten those odds in the DIY world, right? So how about this: let's say that each year that you make it into the 2% group, you're odds are twice as good as getting into the 2% group the following year. So, instead of a probability of 50:1 in year two, you're at 25:1. And the next year the same thing and each year your odds of success improve because of increased fan base, sponsorship, established tour rout and just basically knowing what you're doing. So year three is 12.5:1, year four, 6.25:1, year five, 3.13:1 and the benchmark "tipping point" year six is a fantastic 1.6:1. Now we're talking right? This sounds eminently reasonable, yes?
So what are the aggregate odds now that we've made the assumptions more sensible; the odds of going from emerging wannabe to indie Sotheby? Get ready...
Around 1:477,000! (4)
Hummm... Not the “million to one” shot often hyperbolized, but still, 1:2149 is starting to sound like a sure thing.
Now you know why indie "success stories" are so infrequent. With roughly 2,000,000 acts with fan pages on MySpace and Facebook we can expect, using these assumptions, a yield of about half-a-dozen breakout acts. And when you think about it, that's about what we have seen from the indie world since the dawn of the internet age in 1998. A very small hand-full of acts that have really distinguished themselves exclusively in the indie world have gone on to... you guessed it... sign with a major.
Now remember that is piece is about raw odds. There is much that can be done to mitigate them. Like knowing more about the business, great management, persistence, and of course -- talent.
But, if you're looking at the Vegas odds for your chances of doing music and nothing else, a major label deal, sucky as it can sometimes seem to be, is still, by far, the best bet in the house and one that you must at least consider if you're in this for the long haul.
Next time a technoista twenty-something artist tells you he is not even considering a major because he has over 3000 fans, followers, friends, whatever and an aggregator to get him on iTunes, do him a favor and show him this article. You might just be saving his life.
Mo out

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

spanky

spanky

Wow that is some complex stuff and very informative, thanks bro.

Suss

Suss

spanky wrote:Wow that is some complex stuff and very informative, thanks bro.

Not really complex; just common sense Spanky. Even Mose Avalon says he hates math. I happen to love Math and Science. What I love more is the ability that God gave me to express my feelings through a musical instrument.

Thank William for your reading this. I doubt many will because frankly, they're not interested.

kenny

kenny

I have a friend who was courted by a major label put them on the red carpet and promised them the world. It was all lies, they were fullfilling a quota of bands. After that they took their music and sold it, stole it right away from them. Destroyed their dreams and tried to rob their very souls. there are good reasons people don't want to be controlled by opportunistic mega corps. Like if monsanto was a record company they would own all music and control everything we listen to.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, Uncle,

It's great to have you back again... I don't think it's because folks aren't interested
but rather they understand the times and how much they have changed. I doubt
that anyone on this board (with the exception of Billy) has ever reached your status
in the music industry. You've performed and recorded with some great artists and
you've likely forgotten more about that end of it than any of us here will ever know.
But I believe that we are all aware at the very least that times have changed, and
they've changed drastically since the time of your hayday.

You, myself and most members here come from a time when the MUSIC meant something.
Artists put out material with substance because that's all there was to do, and it was simply
the way it was done. The music came from and spoke of the happenings of the times and the
times were much different than they are today. It was a time when family would sit down at
the dinner table together because there was a designated time to eat dinner, as a family, all
together. A time when you not only knew your neighbhor but nearly everyone in your neighbor-
HOOD! A time when you respected your elders and didn't use foul language in their presence at
the very least. A time when you'd be afraid to be caught doing something wrong by the elders in
your community because they'd whip your ass then take you home and tell your parents and get
your ass whipped all over again. It was a time when our women weren't "bitches and ho's" and no
one knew what the hell crysTAL, bling, and a six fo was!

Our music was reflective of our content and character which in turn influenced the music industry.
today our content and character allows the industry to manipulate and influence US! Today, it's all
about the Benjamins as they say. Music no longer influences the music industry, the music industry
now influences the music. Back then, it was more about musical substance, today, it's just about
plain ol' substance. And that's reflectied not only in music but right across the board, sports, corporate,
whatever... There was a time when the work force brought a life of blessing even at the humblest level.
Now, folks are killing themselves at these jobs just trying to keep their heads above water.

This isn't even the tip of the iceburg, only a small piece of how far we haven't come. Sadly, the music and
it's industry is highly reflective of this. And it certainly doesn't take being a musician or music industry mogal
to recognize it.

Suss

Suss

Well Said Nephew Don. I only offered this as my perspective of things by experience over the decades. Your experience is equally valid.

Cool

D. Slam

D. Slam

Suss wrote:Well Said Nephew Don. I only offered this as my perspective of things by experience over the decades. Your experience is equally valid.

Cool

Thanks, Uncle, but quite frankly, I have no experience in this regard.
I do however understand what things trigger, influence and posess
mankind to do the things we do as a species.

boomer

This is why, in part, I chose to relinquish the chat room on my site: you guys run this one so much better. This is not to say that I agree with everything said and that I have very much experience taking part in debates at sites elsewhere because I do not. I might be a bit biased in my opinion when I say this but what I have read over the past nearly 13 years or more in monitoring this site has not lacked for emotion, forthrightness and a deepening sense of logic in the opinions presented as well as a maturity that I, as an observer primarily have grown to respect whether I agreed or not with a certain positions taken. Don't stop growing up!!!!!!! Maybe your ideas will rub off on the next one or two generations coming up behind you.

Boomer cheers

spanky

spanky

boomer wrote:This is why, in part, I chose to relinquish the chat room on my site: you guys run this one so much better. This is not to say that I agree with everything said and that I have very much experience taking part in debates at sites elsewhere because I do not. I might be a bit biased in my opinion when I say this but what I have read over the past nearly 13 years or more in monitoring this site has not lacked for emotion, forthrightness and a deepening sense of logic in the opinions presented as well as a maturity that I, as an observer primarily have grown to respect whether I agreed or not with a certain positions taken. Don't stop growing up!!!!!!! Maybe your ideas will rub off on the next one or two generations coming up behind you.

Boomer cheers
Thank you for that.

D. Slam

D. Slam

A quote from Billy from the thread: Best seats in the house.
I think it goes perfectly with what we're talking about here:

Also keep in mind that we are all subject to trends and generally tend to follow and not "lead" thus there are cycles so stay tuned for what's just over horizon folks that is unless you have an alternative route to travel.

Suss

Suss

boomer wrote:This is why, in part, I chose to relinquish the chat room on my site: you guys run this one so much better. This is not to say that I agree with everything said and that I have very much experience taking part in debates at sites elsewhere because I do not. I might be a bit biased in my opinion when I say this but what I have read over the past nearly 13 years or more in monitoring this site has not lacked for emotion, forthrightness and a deepening sense of logic in the opinions presented as well as a maturity that I, as an observer primarily have grown to respect whether I agreed or not with a certain positions taken. Don't stop growing up!!!!!!! Maybe your ideas will rub off on the next one or two generations coming up behind you. Boomer cheers

D. Slam wrote:A quote from Billy from the thread: Best seats in the house.
I think it goes perfectly with what we're talking about here:

Also keep in mind that we are all subject to trends and generally tend to follow and not "lead" thus there are cycles so stay tuned for what's just over horizon folks that is unless you have an alternative route to travel.

What can I say Billy and Don (and others) except that this is why I absolutely LOVE this community. Even though at times there comes a “bad apple,” the seeds of fruit are sown with proper motivations toward everyone’s benefit. All it takes is a period of personal reflection to provide bridge building.

JAMES 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
JAMES 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
JAMES 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? …

When I look at myself in the mirror, the prevailing Answer that brings me peace toward myself and others has to do with recognizing that Time is brief and that anyone should make the most of it. In my experience, I’ve sought to do this by recognizing, receiving and responding to responsibility and caring. Needless to say, it’s been difficult doing this – but I’m constantly reminded – AND THAT’s a GOOD THANG. God has called many to follow through as well, and it’s not easy to do it. I’m just thankful that at least I’m still seeking to hear the Voice.

You Guys are tremendous in my book… it’s really an understatement to say that I love you and so many more that don’t even have the avenue of musical expression, or never had the opportunity to learn a musical instrument. Thank you Gentlemen – you know who you are along with Boomer, DSlam, et. al.

My personal thanks go out to Pete Corona for doing what the Spirit said ought to be done when he set this site up out of the same love and appreciation for Billy Cobham - and I'm not shinin' and grinin.'

Exclamation

P.S. http://www.johnsussewell.com/GloryToHisName-CandiStatonWithSuss-1990OrThereabouts.mp3 Make no mistake, I'm more in love with my saviour toward the Father than I am with my former wife. The music is timeless, not the breaking of vows by generations repeating history...

Suss

Suss

kenny wrote: I have a friend who was courted by a major label put them on the red carpet and promised them the world. It was all lies, they were fullfilling a quota of bands. After that they took their music and sold it, stole it right away from them. Destroyed their dreams and tried to rob their very souls. there are good reasons people don't want to be controlled by opportunistic mega corps. Like if monsanto was a record company they would own all music and control everything we listen to.

Kenny... I fully understand what you mean. Perhaps that friend was yourself. If not, then I apologize for presuming so. Nonetheless, "business" these days is too often conducted in a manner where industries forget their most important component: OURSELVES.

Fortunately, I'm able (not "was" able) to see both sides of the table. Life is NOT a game my friend; living is the challenge though. I mean, just hone your particular gifts and forgive those who have somehow disrupted your dreams. Boomer once said in the older forums that we both know, "... never let anyone steal your dreams." The man played with DREAMS which was the very period of time when I was in college and during a summer vacation drove him to Baggies rehearsal studio on Prince Street in SoHo New York City.

Maybe I need to lighten my mood. In spite of my challenges in personal life, I MUST be aware not everyone is going through the same thing at any particular point in time. I respectfully request that you do to for the benefit of those you touch. There is a principle as pure as gravity that when things are done out purity, no enemy can steal it. I won't quote the Scripture from which this comes; simply because I'm not preaching or teaching in this forum. I'm simply being myself with affection for the brothers and sisters, while thankful that I'm able to put my feelings to slate.

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:Hi, Uncle,

It's great to have you back again...

Don, I never left. It's just that when I was daily on the website years ago, my emphasis has evolved. And so has yours, along with everyone else's.

Personally, I don't have time to engage in gadgets and gizmos. One must know how to even play a garbage can and make rhyme & rythm. Otherwise, what's the point?

What I appreciate about you, et. al., is that you are fortunate to express yourself with treasured friends in your area of this globe. Others are not so fortunate. I know well enough that you chose to respect me as your Uncle when I'm actually your Brother. Yet I've never seen your face - uuggggh - and you even want me to give you a hug? Shocked Laughing

... just joking man. More than any other, you and I speak by phone. Be cool and keep stiking! I trust to meet you, et. al., One Great Day, if not sooner. Maybe you'll give me a haircut! afro

Niki

Niki

Thanks for this very interesting thoughts and facts...I am still reading..!

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

kenny

kenny

Hi John, I got to thinking about a musician friend i had in NYC many years ago. He kept a list of major labels by his telephone and rang them constantly about trying to get published, recorded or whatever it took. I 'll never forget his determination, whether he got picked up or not he had a serious motivation to get out there. i don't know what he ended up with but i'm pretty sure he is still playing music in some capacity. Hopefully we all end up with what we need. i think with the proper discipline and determination we can get out there. Maybe it's true what they are saying about the future of professional music. That the majors are a thing of the past and becoming independent is the way to go.

I'm playing with a band right now that has a serious business background, whether it pans out is to be seen but it is exciting to think it could go somewhere and I have been able to fly to gigs including europe and play high profile gigs like earthdance coming up in september. I'll always have hope yet the reality is i don't personally have a business background. I am grateful to be playing with top notch musicians in many styles and always learning and that to me is fulfilling. i have a rehearsal today with some Guinean and Senegali drummers who's father started a famous ballet company in Dakar. That is more than i ever hoped for right there! And i don't have to live in a big city which is a blessing to me. i can pick blueberries in my front yard. So I guess i've always been trying to have a balance and I've had the lean times so maybe this part of my life is balancing that out!

http://www.balkanmusic.org

D. Slam

D. Slam

Suss wrote:

Don, I never left. It's just that when I was daily on the website years ago, my emphasis has evolved. And so has yours, along with everyone else's.

Personally, I don't have time to engage in gadgets and gizmos. One must know how to even play a garbage can and make rhyme & rythm. Otherwise, what's the point?

What I appreciate about you, et. al., is that you are fortunate to express yourself with treasured friends in your area of this globe. Others are not so fortunate. I know well enough that you chose to respect me as your Uncle when I'm actually your Brother. Yet I've never seen your face - uuggggh - and you even want me to give you a hug? Shocked Laughing

... just joking man. More than any other, you and I speak by phone. Be cool and keep stiking! I trust to meet you, et. al., One Great Day, if not sooner. Maybe you'll give me a haircut! afro

Well, Uncle, it's nice to have you posting again is what I meant.
Maybe you never left, but you certainly weren't engaging, in ANYTHING.

As to "gadgets and gizmos", Billy has always said that the drums
(or any instrument for that matter) don't play themselves. Truer
words were never spoken. I am however a student of the technical
aspects of making what I do a more effective reality, just as I am
a student of the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of what I
do.

The key I believe is understanding that whatever equipment you have,
that it's YOU who's the one in the drivers seat. And it's not only about
knowing where you are, but also knowing where you want to go with the
understanding of what it takes to get you there.... Which may or may not
require "gadgets and gizmos." Whatever works for YOU!

So I for one thoroughly enjoy engaging and even investing in these
topics and products, as I am a firm believer that better equipment
plays a major role in my ongoing development as a player. It's not for
everyone, but that's okay, I'm not everyone.

As to YOUR face,,,,, I've seen pictures of that mug, and that's enough!!! affraid Wink

Suss

Suss

kenny wrote: Hi John, ... I am grateful to be playing with top notch musicians in many styles and always learning and that to me is fulfilling. i have a rehearsal today with some Guinean and Senegali drummers who's father started a famous ballet company in Dakar. That is more than i ever hoped for right there! And i don't have to live in a big city which is a blessing to me. i can pick blueberries in my front yard. So I guess i've always been trying to have a balance and I've had the lean times so maybe this part of my life is balancing that out!

Hi Kenny! You know what? I hear ya man! I tend to write a lot these days in disciplines not having anything to do with music. Yet when reading your response to this particular thread, I sense i know exactly where you're coming from...

... and if I don't, then I apologize: simply because there is no music on this planet that isn't appreciated by someone. Therein is the balance and the onus is upon everyone to appreciate the genres, idioms and styles within them without excluding anything. I like my food spicy at times and at other times I just want cereal for a snack. It's all of matter of taste (is what I think we're both saying).

I think my palate has been burned by the business side of the industry, while others don't seem to have any problem with it. I've just had to work with myopic individuals in the past (and even today) that have such a close minded approach to embracing the arts instead of simply trying to appreciate those who create it. I could get more graphic about that attitude (from my experience), but I don't believe it would be appropriate for this community...

The real pudding is living in society wherever we are and doing our best to contribute rather than berate anyone...

I had a tremendous phone conversation earlier today with a good friend many miles from me [not a musician in any sense of the word]. We always stay in touch for these very reasons. The bottom line is that any of us must be stewards of those giftings each of us have... and this man is very gifted with what he does. We are only responsible for what we can bring to the table after carefully prepared. Other than that (in my book), the rest is up to each link in the chain to bear their own weight with the burdens. It's "collaborative." This world would be an ugly place if everyone was like me. Razz

However, with much "power"(dunamis) comes great responsibility. My power comes from my faith in God - not everyone has tapped into that support and resource because we live in a cynical environ these daze (days). Someone else's power might come from their imagination. Please forgive me if I sound religious at times. I hate religion because relationship is a quantum leap above Blind Faith in something or someone not known.

Thanks Kenny for clarifying what you intended us/me to understand. I hope I'm clear with you through my offerings in the vein of our community here. I really appreciate it and believe that I understand you more than I ever have - a very good relationship indeed. Thank you again and may my writing here encourage you to hone your crafts in ways that will touch as many if not more people than even you expect.

Altogether, we like strands in a rope. It takes more than one twisted together to endure our challeges. You keep stickin' my friend. I appreciate both your music and those of your son. If I've ever said anything to offend you in the past, then please forgive me for that. I apologize.

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:
Suss wrote:

Well, Uncle, it's nice to have you posting again is what I meant.

As to "gadgets and gizmos", Billy has always said that the drums
(or any instrument for that matter) don't play themselves. Truer
words were never spoken. I am however a student of the technical
aspects of making what I do a more effective reality, just as I am
a student of the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of what I
do.

The key I believe is understanding that whatever equipment you have,
that it's YOU who's the one in the drivers seat. And it's not only about
knowing where you are, but also knowing where you want to go with the
understanding of what it takes to get you there.... Which may or may not
require "gadgets and gizmos." Whatever works for YOU!

So I for one thoroughly enjoy engaging and even investing in these
topics and products, as I am a firm believer that better equipment
plays a major role in my ongoing development as a player. It's not for
everyone, but that's okay, I'm not everyone.

As to YOUR face,,,,, I've seen pictures of that mug, and that's enough!!! affraid Wink

Ya see there Nephew?!!!??? I know this my brother! And I'm not even goin' to get flustered with what you wanted to say when saying:

... Maybe you never left, but you certainly weren't engaging, in ANYTHING.

I believe I know what you meant to say; i.e. I wasn't online here as often as in the past. You know the reasons why... or at least you should (?): Suspect

It's all good Neph! I love ya - we have no argument between us. We ALL must make the best of the tools within our hands, heart and feet.

OHH! Don't forget the spiritual side as well and maybe I will give you a hair cut! It'll be a freebie! affraid

As to my mug? LOL LOL! I'm pretty man, but I ain't Pretty Purdie, that pirat (just joking).

Love ya Don - you're a great man, father and husband to your wife! Give your Fam a big hug from me. It just might be that I'll make it to California for the celebration this year. I'll be the stray dawg jumping out of the cake for the bridal shower! Watch out though; my drumsticks just might become nunchucks Very Happy I love you

D. Slam

D. Slam

i.e. Here on the site.... You weren't posting or engaging here and it's good to see you
doing it again.... That's all I meant... I said exactly what I wanted to say, nothing to
get "flustered" over.

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

It's great to have you back again... I don't think it's because folks aren't interested
but rather they understand the times and how much they have changed. I doubt
that anyone on this board (with the exception of Billy) has ever reached your status
in the music industry. You've performed and recorded with some great artists and
you've likely forgotten more about that end of it than any of us here will ever know.
But I believe that we are all aware at the very least that times have changed, and
they've changed drastically since the time of your hayday.

You, myself and most members here come from a time when the MUSIC meant something.
Artists put out material with substance because that's all there was to do, and it was simply
the way it was done. The music came from and spoke of the happenings of the times and the
times were much different than they are today. It was a time when family would sit down at
the dinner table together because there was a designated time to eat dinner, as a family, all
together. A time when you not only knew your neighbhor but nearly everyone in your neighbor-
HOOD! A time when you respected your elders and didn't use foul language in their presence at
the very least. A time when you'd be afraid to be caught doing something wrong by the elders in
your community because they'd whip your ass then take you home and tell your parents and get
your ass whipped all over again. It was a time when our women weren't "bitches and ho's" and no
one knew what the hell crysTAL, bling, and a six fo was!

Our music was reflective of our content and character which in turn influenced the music industry.
today our content and character allows the industry to manipulate and influence US! Today, it's all
about the Benjamins as they say. Music no longer influences the music industry, the music industry
now influences the music. Back then, it was more about musical substance, today, it's just about
plain ol' substance. And that's reflectied not only in music but right across the board, sports, corporate,
whatever... There was a time when the work force brought a life of blessing even at the humblest level.
Now, folks are killing themselves at these jobs just trying to keep their heads above water.

This isn't even the tip of the iceburg, only a small piece of how far we haven't come. Sadly, the music and
it's industry is highly reflective of this. And it certainly doesn't take being a musician or music industry mogal
to recognize it.

Very well put Don. The older I get, the more I wish I grew up in my fathers generation.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks, Fusion,

Every generation has had it's peaks and valleys.
I know that my growing up was considerably less
confusing than it is for my kids, even with all the
racial tensions that were prevalent in my days as
a youth. Everything is so extreme now. Like you,
the older I get the more I realize that simple
pleasures are the best..

And times were much simpler then.

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:Thanks, Fusion,

Every generation has had it's peaks and valleys.
I know that my growing up was considerably less
confusing than it is for my kids, even with all the
racial tensions that were prevalent in my days as
a youth. Everything is so extreme now. Like you,
the older I get the more I realize that simple
pleasures are the best..

And times were much simpler then.

I got it Don /// like Fusion said, we often wonder what "generation" we're actually living in. No problem... with me: I'm keepin' up with the technology. It's cool men.

Asaph

Asaph

After reading that article (and others like it) I'm thankful I leave my life in God's hands to deal with. Him I trust. The music business? Not so much.

I saw "talent" used a few times in the article. I don't know. Does talent matter anymore? I hear things today, in passing, that couldn't make it out of a garage in our day. Sign of the times. Noise is music. Screaming at the top of your lungs is considered a talented form of 'musical' communication. Darkness is light, light is darkness.

Still ... in my fifties, I would love to play music for a living. Modest, gainful employment would be fine by me. But yeah, dealing with the "suits" would not be my way of avoiding stress in life.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum