BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

E-drums as a second kit

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1E-drums as a second kit Empty E-drums as a second kit Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 pm

sduraybito

OK, so in the interests of less back pain, I've started leaving my drums at the house we practice at. This is a good thing as we're getting together every 10 days or so and the band is progressing along nicely.

I'm thinking of getting a second set of drums and am considering an e-kit rather than regular drums. I'm thinking they would take up less room, partciularly if I bring the drums back to my house.

What are the pros and cons of e-drums? For example, how are rim shots handled (which is crucial to the first verse of "Can't You See" by the Marshall Tucker Band)? I'm not too worried about the different feel of e-drums since I'll be playing my "real" kit regularly. I'm thinking I mostly need it to just keep the chops going and rehearse with the songs we're playing.

Also any general thoughts on Roland vs. Simmons? I'm really thinking just entry-level - nothing to outrageous.

2E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am

Asaph

Asaph

My basic edrum set-up is a TrapKat and Roland TDW20X. I have a couple other modules, but that is the main thing, plus a Hart bass drum pad and a hart hi hat pedal.

Edrums are loads of fun because you can change things at the touch of a button. You also have access to sounds it would take a truck to have around - percussion, etc.

Pros - TrapKat - small footprint w/24 pads. Fast set up. Access to hundreds of sounds. Easy recording options. Silent practicing.

Cons - machine gunning : playing fast notes can track terrible. Sounds like a machine gun. Happens to me and it drives me crazy - snare rolls, tom rolls, cymbal rolls, doesn't matter. Can take up the same footprint as an acoustic set, depending on what you have. Takes just as long to set up and tear down a multi-pad set with ecymbals. Pads are smaller, bass drum pads are smaller, harder/softer, and do not feel like acoustic drums. Going back and forth can be pretty weird. Hi Hat action and sound can be very spotty. A lot of edrum equipment can be very proprietary to each company.

I'm told software has much better sound quality than modules. I have not tried it. The expense of a laptop comes into play and an interface to hook it up.

All of this really depends on how you play. Basic time keeping presents no real problems. Fast playing requires higher polyphony so there is no *note-robbing* while module memory tries to keep up with all the strokes and sustain of sounds. Less expensive modules generally have less polyphony. Play a fast tom fill with cymbals and clipping can take place.

Edrums are not inexpensive either. To me, the TrapKat was the best way to go, bang for the buck. Others like having the more traditional look of a drum set. The Roland set-up costs big bucks. You could buy a few brand new 5 pc sets for the price of a Roland 6pc set up. Yamaha and Alesis have much better price points.

If you can try some out somewhere, do that. The Rolands are nice to play, the mesh heads. I do not like the harder Yamahas. Because the Yam module (and others) are actual recorded sounds they have a different 'edge' than Roland's electronically modeled sounds. I'd also have a Yamaha, but I limit my $$ spent on edrums. I've recorded with my set up. So easy to do. No mics. Just plug it up. But the machine gunning is more easily heard on a recording than a live setting. But again, that is based on the style of the drummer.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

3E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:52 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I have played Yamaha and Roland
over the years and while I like the
feel of the Roland, I have preferred
the sounds from the Yamaha.

You have to set your Triggers, with
real care for dynamic response. It
takes time to get to know them but
it is worth the trouble and suffering
through the drawbacks.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

4E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 am

Racman

Racman

I'm selling my Roland drum pads with stands and all cables. I only used it in my office sometime ago when we were recording drum bytes doing Boomer's Conundrum on this site. I never used it outside and only for practicing and I do take very good care of my stuff as you can see in the pictures. The last I played them was 2 years ago and stored in my office corner here. I wish I did'nt have to sell them but I need to if I'm going to purchase another snare. The TD-10 by Roland (head) is not for sale nor my IronCobra pedal...just the pads, stands, cables and manual/memory card. I still have the original packing boxes crispy new here. Keep this in mind here; These are 100% high density Mesh heads that mimks the feel of a real head and is durable. Less fatigue or wrist injuries playing these types of heads as opposed to hard rubber here.

I purchased it for $1,200 american smacks few years ago but letting go for $470. If you know that your serious, send me your email and I'll send you the details, otherwise save yourself some time here. This is professional grade gear and not something from a toy store here. It makes for great recording and especially practicing with headphones. Why heck, I'll even through in a Vic Firth Isolation headphones that works well with this rig (seen in pix).

NOTE: if you want to hear what those bytes sounded like, Pete may have my drum bytes on Conundrum so you can hear it. I would really appreciate if Pete has them to post here for you. If not go to drum store and hopefully they have a set like it to hear and play on. BTY, I posted this last week Friday in a weekly newspaper here and already got 5 calls but waiting to make full use of my add...got another 2 days.

rac

E-drums as a second kit Roland11
E-drums as a second kit Roland12
E-drums as a second kit Roland13

http://www.glennracoma.com

5E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Woody

Woody

E-kits are a lot of fun to play with/on.
What they lack mostly is presence.
With acoustic drums, what you hear is what you get. In your face sound.
E-drums are limited to what comes out of your speaker, so it can pose a problem playing live with other musicians, unless you are using a killer sound system with monitors for everyone.
For what you want to use them for, I think they would be ideal. I practice on my e-kit and gig on my acoustic set.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

6E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Racman

Racman

E-drums as a second kit Roland14

I really wanted to sell this to someone here but I could not refuse the offer. It was the first caller out of the five that really wanted. Before I know it, he's at my office with the dough. But I'll be sure if I tend to sell anything else you people will be the first to know and I'm not easily taken into offense if your not interested in my stuff here. I did not know that anyone here would be interested in a edrum these days. Just trying to help here.... But anyway, it was really fun while I had it to do Boomer's Conundrum bytes as well as practicing late into the night. Oh, and I want to take this time to thank Pete for tolerating me in using his site for profit. Pete, if you are reading this I intended to give you a little something if the drums sold here. But thank you for your openess and kindness towards me for this great site here all these years! cheers

Aloha,

rac

7E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Maybe there could be a section devoted to just selling gear? Or, has that been tried and developed problems?

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

8E-drums as a second kit Empty Re: E-drums as a second kit Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Racman

Racman

You know Asaph, now that you mentioned it there was a spot that Pete made for selling equipment. If I'm correct it was a post right after the drummer byte area. I dont know why it's no longer available. I'm sure Pete would have good reasons.

rac

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum