BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Review of Boomer and the Band at Ronnie Scott's , London

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Billy Cobham, Ronnie Scott’s, London

By Mike Hobart

The great jazz drummer gave a masterclass that matched technique with musicality

The perfectly timed, stubby press roll with which Billy Cobham nonchalantly introduced his opening set signalled a master at work. And as his double bass drum grumbled and his cymbals pinged, and hard-nosed beats switched to a jaunty calypso lilt, it was clear that Cobham’s power and precision remain intact.

Throughout the 1970s, Cobham’s blitzkrieg technique, immaculate timing and fine-tuned sound made him the benchmark drummer of fusion jazz. In his hands the raw harmonies and metronomic rhythms of rock were delivered with a technically assured power that swept all before it, and was all the more effective for being spiced by jazz tensions and subtleties.

Not that much has changed since then, and the Cobham aesthetic remains solidly locked into the grammar of fusion jazz. Themes are intricate, episodic and marked by precision timing. Swirling keyboards conjure the mysteries of the deep and are called to order by ferocious unison lines; grooves change as if by deep-seated command; riff-driven breaks erupt with enormous energy.

With so many changes, the first-set themes seemed to melt into one long showcase for a well-drilled band. The second number, translated from the Spanish as “Get Out If You Can”, referenced Cobham’s infancy in a tough area of Panama City – later raised in New York, he now lives in Switzerland. Late-night menace switched to a playful Latin mood, there were powerhouse climaxes and long-drawn fugues, and super-fast breaks that, once completed, left the band smiling grimly with relief.

It took an old favourite, “Stratus”, to relax the largely French band’s muscular musicianship and to deliver more than well-drilled technique and moments of flash. Christophe Cravero on electric piano and Camelia Ben Naceur on synths found a warmer keyboard palette, the jiggly lines from bass guitar sat more easily on the pulse and the rhythmic subtleties of Junior Gill’s steel pans shimmered vibrantly.

There were also solos of note – Naceur’s bendy synth and jazzy piano; Cravero’s flowing lines and mournful arabesque on amplified violin – and time to appreciate just how good Cobham still sounds. Centre-stage and orchestrating the tricky bits with finesse, his whisper-to-thunder solos were highlights that matched technique with musicality.

Nice review , and great job Boomer !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

spanky

spanky

I wouldn't expect anything less from Billy.

Asaph

Asaph

You know we have this discussion going in various threads about "greatness." I seem to recall years ago reading that Billy originally went to Europe because he couldn't find or develop, what-have-you, anything here in the states based on his skills in the drumming world after MO broke up and a few other gigs faded away.

HOW could it ever have been that Billy Cobham not be given the respect and admiration he won during those days of 70s fusion, et al? I had a mag from the 90s mentioning there may be many drummers out there who do not even know who BC is. That is astounding.

BTW, is this the same band as on the new DVD?

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

First off Asaph, yes it is the same band as is playing on the DVD and CD.

Boomer has always said that one of the main reasons he moved to Switzerland was because the pace of life and everything was so fast here in the states that he wanted to just slow it down a little in order to be able to assess things. That's not an exact quote but that is the general idea. There were other factors involved which maybe he would share with us here, or maybe not.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Suss

Suss

Asaph wrote:

HOW could it ever have been that Billy Cobham not be given the respect and admiration he won during those days of 70s fusion, et al? I had a mag from the 90s mentioning there may be many drummers out there who do not even know who BC is. That is astounding.

America was and still is hell bent on the next best thing or two; and consumers graft after that like they do the next gadget or gratification. Unfortunately, capitalism has taken over the reins of civility.

Only Billy needs to know why he moved, but it's a pretty well known fact that our melting pot 'America' leaves a lot to be desired when it comes honoring folks while their alive.... and I'm a patriot of our great country.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

6Review of Boomer and the Band at Ronnie Scott's , London Empty Great Topic people! Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 pm

boomer

For the record: The United States Of America has soooooooo much to offer on so many levels that I found it difficult to grab hold and make ONE thing work for me in my small part of the music business environment........... So, I took a look at the alternatives that the rest of the world had to offer possible work and decided to commit to a direction and see it through to it's end. As a location, I thought I would explore western Europe for a short period of time: about two to three weeks back at the end of the 1970's........I really thought that I could see everything there was to see in Europe during that set period. Well, I decided to live in Switzerland and use that region as my springboard and launching pad since I would have access to France, Italy, Austria and Germany. Well, what I thought would take me two or three weeks to accomplish in my studies has amounted to me seeking answers to questions regarding my place in this world that were spawned by answers to other questions evolved from answers to yet other thoughts that I had intentions of exploring sometime prior and so it goes and we come to me still present here in 'Swiss', as a world traveler after some 30 plus years with a plethora of thoughts to consider as I view the USA from my little corner of the globe and outside it's bubble. The big plus for me is that I perform at the drum set in line with those experiences. What I have encountered from day to day is reflected in my playing and I would have it no other way.
Boomer

Last edited by boomer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Asaph

Asaph

I greatly appreciate that response, Mr. Cobham.

You know, I must say, I feel very bad. For many years, literally because of a couple quotes in a Modern Drummer magazine, I have held an improper understanding of Billy Cobham, the person. I have come to see, since coming to this forum, that he is a pretty down to earth, humble, and very likeable guy. Puts into perspective questions I have had in my mind seeing him on videos and thinking "This is not the same guy as portrayed in those quotes."

Just goes to show the power of the printed word and the importance of balance and context.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum