BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

[img]Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Devo-010[/img]

another musician has passed, another drummer. I saw this band play live once in their heyday and they were tremendous !! tight, tight choreographed show with video montages and backdrops which were cutting edge at the time. I"m talking early 80's here. RIP mr. myers and thanks for the music !

Devo drummer Alan Myers dead of brain cancer after career of whipping it good

Stickman drummed on all of the post-punk band's seminal albums, starting with 'Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!'
Comments (5)
By Jim Farber / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 4:53 PM

Updated: Thursday, June 27, 2013, 5:15 PM.

Alan Myers of the new wave punk music group Devo, pictured in 1979, died Monday of brain cancer.

Alan Myers, whose quirky and askew drumming goosed the hits of Devo, died of brain cancer Monday, it was announced Wednesday.

He was 58.

Myers joined Devo in 1976, before their classic major label debut, “Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!” He worked with the band on all their major albums, becoming their best-known stickman.

Devo’s Bob Mothersbaugh, Mark Mothersbaugh, Alan Myers, Gerald Casale and Bob Casale helped poke at the pretentions of the late ‘70s music scene.

Myers specialized in jerky and brusk beats, as heard in the band’s classic reconfiguration of The Stones’ “Satisfaction.” Their version moved it from a sexy rocker to a new wave freak-out. Myers’ beats in hits like “Whip It,” or touchstones like “Girl U Want,” also put the emphasis in odd places, creating original beats.

Jazz musician Ralph Carney, a friend of Myers who announced The Devo member’s death on his Facebook page, called him the band’s “best drummer and the one of the first people to teach me about jazz.”

Myers named as his role model Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band’s John “Drumbo” French. Tellingly, French created some of the most disruptive rhythms in rock history, heard on classic Beefheart albums like 1969’s “Trout Mask Replica.”

Myers left Devo after the 1987 album “Shout,” citing his lack of creative fulfillment. More and more of the band’s beat work was being achieved by machine. After leaving Devo, Myers recorded a demo with the band Babooshka. He continued to play in the Los Angeles music scene until his death. Since 2005, his band Skyline Electric played local art galleries and music clubs.

He worked, by day, as an electrician.

Devo co-founder, Gerald Casale sent out several tweets on Myers' passing "RE: Alan Myers. I begged him not to quit Devo. He could not tolerate being replaced by the Fairlight and autocratic machine music. I agreed.

“I had the privilege to play with him for 10 years. Losing him was like losing an arm.

“U were born to drum Devo!"

jfarber@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/devo-drummer-alan-myers-dead-51-brain-cancer-article-1.1383330#ixzz2XYRKvAML

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:17 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow! "Whip it, whip it good!" I dug that tune.

Rest In Peace, Alan.

Hey, Ted, He set his rack toms up like yours. lol! 

3Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Don,, I actually changed the setup to more like what you suggested yesterday as a matter of fact. I was gonna take a photo to show you but I didn't . I don't know if I will keep them that way but I will try them out at the next gig, whenever that comes. The way things are going , it could be a while.

For everyone else, here is the way I had been setting up my toms which Don was referring to.

[img]Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Ted_gr10[/img]

Peace, TED

4Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:19 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted,

I don't know what the change is exactly but
you may even consider leaving your racks
wider apart like the way Billy sets up his
5 and 6 pc kits.

My main concern and feeling is I believe your
approach to the kit will become easier by leveling
out your toms mainly. If you don't like them close
together then spread them apart. See photo below.

[img]Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Billy_10[/img]

5Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 am

drumman

Ted...how do you play the bass drum pedal, your snare is right in the middle of the bass drum?
If that is comfortable for you, then that is ok.

I always have the rack toms closer together for speed, a bit gap like that between the toms would be
weird for me, but that is just personal preference.

6Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Drumman, I was using a new middle pedal that I bought so I could center the snare and bring everything more compactly together.

and Don, what I did was level them out more like you suggested and brought them higher and more together in the middle . Wish I had taken a darn photo. I will try and set them and do that.

Peace, TED

7Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 pm

boomer

You are doing good Ted. I must admit, I never thought that I would witness you taking a lesson from Don. Now, that is special to the positive.pirat 

Boomer

8Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Well Don is an excellent drummer and we have always had private conversations about drumming and life since your site brought us together many years ago. It's just that this one made it to the board . And no matter how many years we've all been playing, as you have said, we all can find new things to learn !!! thanks Boomer !

Peace, TED

9Alan Myers,  drummer for DEVO  passes Empty Re: Alan Myers, drummer for DEVO passes Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hahaha... Ted doesn't need lessons from me, B.
I just gave some input on his rack setup is all.

Notice, I pointed to the one for an example who
we ALL should be taking lessons from. Wink 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum