BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Billy still with Yamaha?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue May 26, 2009 10:04 am

drumman

This video seems to indicate that Billy is using another brand of drums now?
I don't think he has left Yamaha, I am puzzled at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6epFjg3zIk&feature=related

2Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 am

Colin

Colin

Maybe that International Drum Workshop is not funded by Yamaha.

Outtasight
Colin.

3Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:15 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Not sure but I don't care.

albino

I just love listening to Billy.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

4Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Admin (Pete) wrote:Not sure but I don't care.

albino

I just love listening to Billy.

Regards,

That's right! Whatever set of drums Billy sits behind is going to sound high end. Having a really good set of drums is a cool thing. But the real story is told through the person sitting behind them.

5Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:12 am

drumman

You have to laugh at some things on this forum.
Dslam doing a 180 and saying equipment doesn't matter, a few weeks ago he is
arguing about the Pearl bass drum pedal and comparing it to an what an athlete needs to
perform well.

I appreciate the comedy, sometimes you just have to laugh.

6Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Drumman,

The laughing is good. Context
is good, too.

I don't think there is any question
that in the case of Billy, we have
a signature attack on the drums
that no piece of hardware could
ever hope to re-create.

On the other hand, good equip-
ment can facilitate. I think they
are two different things.

A dead head is a dead head and
does not respond, with the same
bounce a live one responds with.

That's equipment and that is
generally available.

However, when Billy hits the drum,
THAT's Billy and THAT is ONLY
available through Billy. Only him.

Cheers to Billy Cobham!

study

Regards,

7Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Incidentally, I have been playing
my Trick Bigfoot, lately, and have
fallen in love with it all over, again.

THAT is a fine pedal, with just
about every feature that I could
hope for. I could think of a couple
of things but I tell you, it gets
quite a response. As a matter
of fact, I have decided to twin
this one. I am ordering it, now.

Single Trick Pedal Sample:

http://thediametrixletter.com/trick1.mp3

Regards,

8Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:19 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

drumman wrote:You have to laugh at some things on this forum.
Dslam doing a 180 and saying equipment doesn't matter, a few weeks ago he is
arguing about the Pearl bass drum pedal and comparing it to an what an athlete needs to
perform well.

I appreciate the comedy, sometimes you just have to laugh.

lol! lol! lol!

Absolutely, drumman!

I find myself laughing here all the time... But mainly at your short sighted posts. You should consider researching subject matter before quoting something pertaining to it that was never ever said. When and where did you ever read where I wrote "equipment doesn't matter?." Did I not JUST SAY IN THIS VERY THREAD that "
having a really good set of drums is a cool thing
?

I sure hope you read Pete's response... And if you're having trouble comprehending it, which seems to be your situation much of the time, then ask him what he means.
You really should develop the habbit of looking before you leap..... Case in point:

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com/we-re-talking-jazz-f1/forum-censoring-t376.htm

Honest, drumman, I actually and literally find myself laughing at most of your posts as I am of the belief that no one (including you) here on God's green earth can possibly be THAT dense...... geek

But maybe where you're concerned, that belief could be held against me.
Should that be the case, I beg your forgiveness for over estimating you. Wink study

D.

9Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

DM,

I really would like to see us
get to the place, where we
are not trying to badger each
other into belligerent response.

I am not sure how we got off
on the wrong foot but I figure
you are here because of your
respect for Billy. If so, I would
like to emphasize that and make
the connection, with you and
further... We are ALL here be-
cause of this same thing.

Can we build on that? You
have mentioned that you are
surprised that we don't talk
about Billy, more. By all means,
start a thread on a related topic
and let's try this, again.

Regards,

10Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

My thing, Pete is I can't understand where drumman comes up with this stuff. First he accused you of deleting a post of his, which you didn't. And then proceeded to dish out insults by saying that there's not that many members here. When his error was pointed out to him did he apologize to you? No he didn't...

He says the site should be about Billy then goes on to post about Candy Dulfer prono jazz, Liberty Devitto suing Billy Joel, and Gary Husband in Drmhead magazine... And he tries to say that I'm not consistant with my word?! You gotta be kidding me!!!

This is at least the second time that he quoted me of saying something I never said. This guy is too much. He does this and then when he gets checked, you don't hear from him until he figures some other off the wall statement to make.... It's like he gets so emotionally flustered when what he says is challenged that he'll say anything just to strike back even if what he says in totally inaccurate. It doesn't seem to matter to him or maybe he can't understand the fact that he's the one that looks like a jackass in the end.... This dude is unreal.

I'm not going to make a major issue of this though, Pete. I know that you don't want all the bickering and honestly, neither do I... I'm Thu!

Incidently, Papa P. I tried out a Sonor kick pedal yesterday, just the most basic chain drive model..... This thing felt awesome!

D.

Last edited by D. Slam on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

11Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:23 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Don,

Well, I just wish we could
get passed all that stuff
and onto the now.

Which one was it, D? Can
you post a pic of it, here?
The Sonor pedals have all
had some fine comments.

I really want to try the
Giant Step but I just can't
bring to pay that much for
a pedal that is not direct-
drive. I just can't.

Regards,

12Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:36 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I don't know which model it was, Pete... I asked the store clerk and even he could not figure it out... The pedal had no name on it accept "Sonor".

Very Basic! Not even a double chain and just a simple spring adjustment. You even have to reach underneath to tighten the hoop clamp. But, man was this thing silky smooth and quiet. I really liked the way it felt when you stepped down on it. It had that resistance feedback I like to feel when stepping on a pedal. It didn't feel like you were just falling into it. I did not inquire about the price. I'll see about getting more info when I go back.

YES! There's nothing like a direct drive. I've been using my Axis a lot lately on live gigs. It's still an awesome piece of equipment... The best pedal I've got at the moment, hands down... I really want to check out the Trick in a performance situation though.

13Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Admin (Pete) wrote:
I really want to try the
Giant Step but I just can't
bring to pay that much for
a pedal that is not direct-
drive. I just can't.

Regards,

Pete, my Sonor Middle pedal is a Giant step, and it is silky smooth. I understand the price tag is salty, but Sonor has always been like that. On my studio set of Sonor Designers, I have two 20+ year old Sonor Signature Series pedals, and they play as well as the day I got them.

I guess you could say they are worth the cost, because they stand the test of time.

Russ

14Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Russ,

I have a 13X8 maple Designer snare drum.... This really hurt, as it was $500.00 used! But it was worth every penny... The drum is absolutely awesome.

As far as the pedal goes, it was on the floor with a bunch of others and I begin to fool around with them just to kill some time. I stepped on the Sonor and said WHOA! Nothing fancy, no frills or state of the art stuff as far as I could see, but this thing floored me. What a Face

15Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

D. Slam wrote:Russ,

I have a 13X8 maple Designer snare drum.... This really hurt, as it was $500.00 used! But it was worth every penny... The drum is absolutely awesome.

As far as the pedal goes, it was on the floor with a bunch of others and I begin to fool around with them just to kill some time. I stepped on the Sonor and said WHOA! Nothing fancy, no frills or state of the art stuff as far as I could see, but this thing floored me. What a Face

Don, did the surface of the footboard look like it was covered in black rubber?

If so, that's an older pedal that Sonor offered with their Phonic Series drums, I believe.

Russ

16Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:52 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I don't know if it looks like it has black rubber on it, Fusion, but it is stainless steel or aluminum with black trim. I will get the model and let you know exactly what it is tomorrow.... Stay tuned..... Same Bat time, Same Bat channel. afro

17Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Fusion,

The pedal is a SP-473.... The thing retails for $119.00. Paul from San Jose Pro Drum sold it to me for $69.00!!! I was not especting that retail or sale price!

Notice I said "sold it to me"... This pedal is awesome.

18Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:59 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

D. Slam wrote:Fusion,

The pedal is a SP-473.... The thing retails for $119.00. Paul from San Jose Pro Drum sold it to me for $69.00!!! I was not especting that retail or sale price!

Notice I said "sold it to me"... This pedal is awesome.

Cool Don! That's not the model I was thinking. I'll have to check one out.

Russ

19Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Looks like I am going to get
a Sonor Giant Step Pedal and
if and when I do, I will review
it extensively and perhaps for
the first time.

Regards,

20Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

FF,

You mentioned that you had the
Giant Step (GS) pedal, from Sonor.
Can I ask you a few questions?

1. Does that footboard expand and
contract or is that just the way it looks?

2. It looks like the floorboard (base)
can be variably distanced from the
hoop. Is that right?

3. How easy is it to change the beater-
angle and is it independent of the
spring tension?

Thanks, in advance.

Regards,

21Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:32 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Admin (Pete) wrote:FF,

You mentioned that you had the
Giant Step (GS) pedal, from Sonor.
Can I ask you a few questions?

1. Does that footboard expand and
contract or is that just the way it looks?

2. It looks like the floorboard (base)
can be variably distanced from the
hoop. Is that right?

3. How easy is it to change the beater-
angle and is it independent of the
spring tension?

Thanks, in advance.

Regards,

Hey Pete,

I'll have to check the pedal this weekend at rehearsal. I'm a "set it and forget it" type of guy, so it's been awhile since I messed with any adjustments. But, to the best of my memory, #1- yes, I do believe you can expand/contract the footboard. #2-I think you can, but I'll really have to check that one! #3-As I recall, the beater can be rotated on the horizontal shaft, completely independent of the spring tension.

I recently sold my home, (June the 19th), because of my divorce, so I no longer have a studio, (until I buy another house), so my gear is all over the map. My teaching kit, which that pedal is on, is now at the guitar players house, since we can no longer rehearse at my place. I will check those things out for you this weekend.

Russ

22Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Thanks, FF.

That sounds very complex - your situation.
I hope things iron out, smooth. You have
children? I forget if you mentioned that.

When you get around to it... don't worry.
I appreciate it.

Regards,

23Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Admin (Pete) wrote:Thanks, FF.

That sounds very complex - your situation.
I hope things iron out, smooth. You have
children? I forget if you mentioned that.

When you get around to it... don't worry.
I appreciate it.

Regards,

Hey Pete,

I checked out the pedal for you yesterday, and I was a little off on my previous memories.

The round "sweet spot" of the footboard, can be slid up and down to change the spot on the footboard, where the ball of your foot would be, but the footboard does not expand/contract as I thought. Also, I cannot see any way to change the distance from the hoop. The beater angle, (the only thing I remembered correctly, it seems. Laughing ), does rotate on the horizontal bar, independent of the the spring tension.

Hope that helps!

Russ

P.S. To answer your question, no, I do not have any children, and I appreciate your well wish's. Very Happy

24Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Thanks, FF.

Only if it is possible, could you
take a picture, from the side, of
the pedal, with the footboard
depressed and with the beater,
against the head?

I would like to see that angle.

Thanks, so much.

Regards,

25Is Billy still with Yamaha? Empty Re: Is Billy still with Yamaha? Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:44 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Admin (Pete) wrote:Thanks, FF.

Only if it is possible, could you
take a picture, from the side, of
the pedal, with the footboard
depressed and with the beater,
against the head?

I would like to see that angle.

Thanks, so much.

Regards,

Pete,

I will take a picture for you, when I get the chance. I might need some help uploading it. Last time I did the middle pedal pictures, Don was nice enough to upload them for me, since I seem to have a mental block, trying to upload pictures. lol!

Russ

edit: You know what I just thought of Pete, perhaps since my Giant Step is a Middle Pedal, and not a single pedal, may be the reason there is no adjustment to move the pedal closer to the hoop. You would simply re-position the foot board where you want it. Just a thought. I have never looked at a Giant Step single pedal up close.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum