BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fruit From the Loom CD

+4
Ted E. Bear
Colin
Niki
drumman
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:22 am

drumman

I was excited to see Billy released a new CD, but then I was very disappointed to
see it is only available as an MP3 download from Amazon.com.
Why not release it as a regular CD, that can be purchased?
In my opinion MP3's suck, for $8.99 the file should at least be FLAC.
I hope this is given a better release in the future.
The industry is a mess right now and nobody knows how to release new music.
Welcome to the 21st century.

2Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Niki

Niki

well said, drumman!

It's a sad state the music industry is right now, yet has to find it's way to adapt to the new technologies and ...the people mostly getting to feel the negative effects of the perplexity are the artists!
Let's hope for a better future.

Peace
Niki

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

3Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Colin

Colin

drumman wrote:I was excited to see Billy released a new CD, but then I was very disappointed to

He is going to release it in a few years in a bigger set of 4 CD's
he has said.
It is no good Billy doing a CD that does not get sold enough to fund it,
I think the best way round this
is anyone who goes to a Billy Cobham gig
should be able to buy his latest CD
that may work in real money terms.

Outtasight
Colin.

4Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Colin

Colin

Niki wrote:well said, drumman!

It's a sad state the music industry is right now, yet has to find it's way to adapt to the new technologies and ...the people mostly getting to feel the negative effects of the perplexity are the artists!
Let's hope for a better future.

Peace
Niki

New Tech
is DTS 5.1 , SACD and DVDA
but none of them are on Downloads?

Downloads Suck
the Quality is worse than a Cassette,
we have gone back in time of Quality Levels all because of poor quality mp3.

It is like the great Mike Judge Film 'Idiocracy'
the film that Hollywood tried to ban.

Outtasight
Colin.

5Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

We all agreed that the mp3 format is not a desirable one, if you read the earlier posts about Fruit from the Loom. When I asked Billy thru a personal e-mail about it, he understands that it's not the way he wanted to put it out, but he was unable to find a viable financial situation to put it out on CD. He's not under contract with any labels right now, as is the situation with most of the jazz artists, so he has to deal with it as best he can. I'm sure he's also "testing the waters" with this new method of delivering music to the public to see how it shakes out. Many people have always complained about the $15 average price of CD's. Well, maybe they will be satisfied with what they can now get for $9.

Drumman,you and Colin and I will not be satisfied with the audio quality of mp3's , especially at the 56K delivery this CD is being supplied in. I totally agree that FLAC would be far superior ,but most people have never heard of Free Lossless Audio Codec, nor do they have the program or the know-how to decode it. The only ones who would have it would be those who travel the ever-popular bit torrent world. Which brings on the subject of who's going to pay for it when I can get it for free like that. That's for another thread.

I'm curious as to whether or not the mp3 format will prevent you from buying Fruit From the Loom or not ? And you too, Colin. That's a very important question which each artist has to consider. Will my fans buy my music even though it's sonically inferior to my previous output and keep supporting my musical growth OR will they choose to not buy it on download in hopes it will appear on a CD down the road ? I bought the download. What about you guys ?

And Colin your suggestion of Billy selling his Cd's at performance is a good one, one which many artists have done to try and eliminate the middleman , EXCEPT that what happens is that the club or venue usually charges the artist 35 % per CD to sell it at their club. So the artist has to jack up the price of the CD to cover that surcharge. And trust me this is true because I have seen this first-hand being involved with merchandising for Audiophile, Abstractlogix, and Walter's book.

Very tough problem. Anyone ? Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

6Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Colin

Colin

No way will I buy a mp3, even this exclusive Billy Cobham mp3 test
but there is so many folks out there that are
so happy with Downloads.

I enjoy 5.1 on DTS , SACD and DVDA (Including Billy Cobhams Spectrum on DTS and DVDA),
and 24bit CD's,
I buy loads of them
because the Quality is so good, so much fun
all around the room.

But again many folks can not be bothered about it.

So I am no way any good for a Test.

Outtasight
Colin.

7Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:01 pm

stef

hi Ted,
i have all Billy's music (lps,cds and dvd audio ) ,i'm a huge fan but i won't buy fruit from the loom,as i said it in an older post;it's a good idea to sell cds at the show,i bought "culture mix" when Billy went at the new morning in Paris,i think Billy could sell cds on his web site(not now because of the damage) as he did it with north by northwest,anyway, it's up to him ...to decide.
ps:billy why not having a deal with Heads up,they have great engineers and the list of artist grow up every months!Peace,Stef

8Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

stef wrote:hi Ted,
i have all Billy's music (lps,cds and dvd audio ) ,i'm a huge fan but i won't buy fruit from the loom,as i said it in an older post;it's a good idea to sell cds at the show,i bought "culture mix" when Billy went at the new morning in Paris,i think Billy could sell cds on his web site(not now because of the damage) as he did it with north by northwest,anyway, it's up to him ...to decide.
ps:billy why not having a deal with Heads up,they have great engineers and the list of artist grow up every months!Peace,Stef

I'm with Colin and Stef... Heck, sell them out of the trunk of your car or at your shows... I'm just not going to patronize mp3's....

Sorry.

Don.

9Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Fruit mp3 Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Fair and honest responses all ! Thank you Colin, Stef , and Don. Any more responses ? Peace, TED

10Fruit From the Loom CD Empty To burn or not to burn? Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:57 am

woofus

woofus

In this age of fast internet access, why not just have the ability to download the entire aiff file? This is cd quality (same as cd) and really only about 50mb per song. You can download the artwork, too, and have the choice to burn your own cd. We should be able to buy a song for $1.00 in AIFF format and it would only take a few minutes to download.

Music publishing on-demand, just like the newest self-published books printed one-by-one on demand. Less waste without compromised quality . . .

Is this already being offered with music? Here's an example of print-on-demand book publishing:
http://www.dogearpublishing.net/

woof

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

11Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Good Idea, Woof.

12Fruit From the Loom CD Empty AIFF? Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Never heard of AIFF Woof. I'm going to search it out. FLAC is best I've heard for download quality. I also want to be able to put it on my own CD when I get it as I like to listen to music thru my stereo or in my car versus my computer. So , if the technology can agree on a superior quality standard, I'd be for it. peace, TED

so, will you be buying the Fruit download ?

13Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:57 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Let me add that there are those out there that will purchase mp3 files. And if that puts some change in the artist's pocket and the consumer is satisfied then that's a good thing. I personally am not interested in buying lesser quality music files, but if it works for others, then I'm certainly not against that.

Slam.

14Fruit From the Loom CD Empty AIFF Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Okay, I found out what AIFF is and why I never heard of it. It's used on MaC's and I use a PC. It is uncompressed like you said Woof, and lossless and uses about 10MB for every 1 minute of music. Conversely, FLAC is a lossless compressed format , the compression being used for faster transmission of data, which is then opened up for use with no audio loss.

The PC equivalent of AIFF would be the WAV file, which I use all the timeThere is no loss with WAV either, so WAV could also be used for PC users. Peace, TED

15Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:08 pm

woofus

woofus

Ted, .aiff is the mac raw audio file. I think .wav is the PC equivalent. The general idea here is that it would be good to be able to buy and download uncompressed, raw audio (you can use this to burn a cd.

No, I won't buy the Fruit download. There's too much Cobham on cd I want to hear and own first. I can understand why someone would buy the 56k download . . . just out of pure excitement about something new and to hear it first. I'm one of those people still using rabbit ears for the TV and listening to vinyl. But I've heard people say vinyl and hard drives are the future of music. You can forget about cds supposedly, but vinyl will still have a place.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

16Fruit From the Loom CD Empty Re: Fruit From the Loom CD Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:13 am

Suss

Suss

drumman wrote:I was excited to see Billy released a new CD, but then I was very disappointed to

In my opinion, the format of Mpeg3 is only for reference. It is accessible in the most compressible file size, which is why iPods, and the like, tend to leverage that format. That is the only reason why I use it: and I don't even own an iPod.

Beyond that, give me a proprietary sound file, or at least a WAV where tracks can be separated and then bounced for the drum tracks or any other instrument I'm asked to manipulate.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum