BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting. Empty Interesting. Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:36 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

2Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:25 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

My own take on this is while pretty cool and I can tell that a lot of thought and effort
went into this, It's still a gadget. Nothing wrong with gadgets, they can be a lot
of fun sometimes... I need to concentrate on my playing and those natural techniques
that will make me more efficient at what I execute from behind the drum set from a more
standardized and familiar platform.

There will always be some new THING to come out, good things too. But the bottom
line is if I am to get better at playing the drums, then I simply have to sit myself down
and work at it. No fancy gimmicks, just sit down and go to work. I love to play the drums
and that old enthusiasm, desire and inspiration to grow and be better tomorrow
than I am today while developing process of making music still burns inside...

I can't tell you all how grateful I am for that.

3Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I think the ideas and thinking this guy is bringing to the drum kit are fantastic ! I love the idea of putting an amp into the bass drum . Can you imagine how thunderous it would sound ??? 500 watts ... oh yeah !

And what he's doing with the pedals is equally fabulous . For someone like me, who's feet are never going to get that fast no matter how much I practice, I would buy one of those pedals in a minute.

That kit looks portable and much lighter than what I currently lug around. I hope this stuff comes to production. Maybe Roland will make him a rich man and buy his patents and come out with something. I bet some company does.

thanks a lot for putting that up Don !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

4Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:39 pm

spanky

spanky

Wow and wow again and again.

5Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted E. Bear wrote:
I think the ideas and thinking this guy is bringing to the drum kit are fantastic ! I love the idea of putting an amp into the bass drum . Can you imagine how thunderous it would sound ??? 500 watts ... oh yeah !

And what he's doing with the pedals is equally fabulous . For someone like me, who's feet are never going to get that fast no matter how much I practice, I would buy one of those pedals in a minute.

That kit looks portable and much lighter than what I currently lug around. I hope this stuff comes to production. Maybe Roland will make him a rich man and buy his patents and come out with something. I bet some company does.

thanks a lot for putting that up Don !

Peace, TED

Yeah, from the single to the double then the Dualist double and triple split pedals.
These gadgets just keep on coming... It's a good thing, though.

Ha, I remember when the Camco chain drive pedal was the hot ticket and only the big
boys had them. When I saw Billy for the very first time at San Jose State in 1978, he
had one. Now I have one sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

With all this technology that's supposed to make us play faster, and more efficient, somehow
we always wind up back at square one. With that said, I'll tell you that I just picked up a Boa
double pedal... No springs, no hinges... Very intense unit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qots2N8F0sE

6Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:41 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Check this out, guys. I really learned something here.
I've always thought that the thinner the resonant head
on the toms the more resonant the drum would be.

I was wrong! This clip was a real eye opener for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ibBol23hs&feature=related

7Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

That's a good post Don,
Most drummers don't give a second thought to they're bottom heads, or even taking much time to tune them and understand the relationship with the batter side.

The concept of different weight bottom heads is not a new one, just a forgotten one, or replaced one with the notion or tradition nowadays that a thin head is always the best choice. If you look back at some of the Jazz Greats Like Elvin, Tony, Blakey etc.. you can see that these guys often used Coated ambassador's on Both sides of the drums. and Tony with the double sided Black Dots.

It's a definite sound for sure, I've used Coated ambassador's on both sides of my drums for years, and i love the way they sound. Especially on my vintage kits.

Glad to see this information out there, and it's great that you posted it- Obviously he's pitching the Evans heads of course, but if you have any ambassador's lying around, give it a shot- Also I've used an Emporer weight clear head on the bottom of my supraphonic for years, and i love what that does as well.

Thanks again for posting!!--D.L

8Interesting. Empty Re: Interesting. Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

You're welcome, D. L.

Actually, I try to keep a very open mind and not get
caught up in the drumming traditions that are definitely out there. I've
always thought that Thinner heads resonate more. And in at least one case,
I find that to be true. I have a Steve Ferrone 6.5X 14 metal snare that I had
an Ambassador on the bottom of and the thing sounded like cardboard.

I tried all kinds of tuning points with it and nothing worked. I was beginning
to think it was the drum itself. Someone told me to put a Diplomat on the bottom
and as you know those things are nearly rice paper thin... Doing that totally fixed
the problem. Thus, my assumption was that rule applied to the toms as well.
As I just found out, that ain't so.

I should have asked you, your drums always sound great! I'm using Evans heads
again and I'm going to pick up some of those 10mm resonant heads for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum