BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Seats in the House

+6
Colin
boomer
drumman
D. Slam
Woody
spanky
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Best Seats in the House Empty Best Seats in the House Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I know DON will be making some comments as soon as he reads this: tickets went on sale the other day for the Return to Forever Tour IV with Frank Gambale and Jean Luc Ponty now in the band. I really like both players.

I got the best seats in the house . Front row for opening act Zappa Plays Zappa with Dweezil playing his father's music, which I love ! And then for RTF - seats on the stage !!!! that's right, on the stage !!!! Plus backstage passes and other RTF goodies like autographed sheet music , a desk set, and even their own brand of coffee. [that's a new angle].

Yes, the tickets were expensive. $539 each . affraid affraid affraid { easy Don, I know he just nearly had a heart attack } But there was no way I could pass that up. The concert isn't till Sept 14th so you will have to wait till then for my report, and hopefully photos !

Okay Don, flame away ! LOL lol!

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Wed May 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Woody

Woody

Geez, Ted.... at that price you think you were seeing Barbra Streisand....LOL!!! affraid

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

3Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Wed May 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

good one Woody ! If it was her that was playing there, I would have gone double for the same package ! lol!

Peace, TED [who's now broke}

4Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

OHHH, Elizabeth, I'm comin home, to meet you, honey!!! Honestly, Ted,
It's all about being happy and satisfied. And if that's what you are, then
I can only be happy and satisfied with you and for you.

If they come out this way, I'm going to make a real honest effort to catch
their show. My ass AIN'T gonna be on or back stage though, you can bet
you last $539.00 on that one and win!!!... Well, unless I'm teching for Lenny. Exclamation Idea

5Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 am

boomer

That last statement is very funny you guys. Don, where did that come from? Ted, I love the $539.00 price tag. Did you leave out the tax %? You guys are really funny. But seriously, it's heavy bucks to pay and I hope that you get your money's worth, the names on the marquee promote that if they are on the show should be smokin'! But, I am still laughing at Don's statement about backstage.Laughing lol!

6Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Boomer,

Don is always scolding me for spending so much money on tickets to shows. He is very F R U G A L when it comes to buying music show tickets. He probably wouldn't even spend money to come see your show, so it's fortunate for him that he tech's for you on the coast so he can get in for free ! affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

The $539 includes everything, tax and ticketmaster fees . Here is what the package includes:

Return To Forever IV 2011 Summer Tour

Return To Forever IV, whose mind-blowing experimentation in jazz and rock transformed the music world, debuts an historic new lineup, consisting of core members Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White, along with Jean-Luc Ponty and Frank Gambale. Special guest Zappa Plays Zappa will also appear for all US shows in August and September.

Purchase one of the below amazing VIP Packages for an experience you'll never forget.

Once-in-Forever Experience

. Ticket to the Show

. On-Stage Seating (RTF Only):

Take the best seat in the house!

. Backstage Pass and Lanyard

. Autographed Limited Edition Sheet Music:

With each package comes a numbered, limited edition sheet of a classic Return to Forever composition, signed by Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White. (Purchase more than 4 packages and duplicate compositions will be included.)

. RTF 4 Engraved Rosewood Pen and Pencil Set:

Created especially for this tour, this set comes engraved with Return to Forever IV's logo. The twist-action pen and matching pencil are fashioned with rosewood, and top-quality materials. Both are set in a lined matching wooden box.

. Black-and-White Prints of Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White:

Take home a set of three prints depicting RTF founding members Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White.

. Return to Forever IV Live Recording (Digital Download):

Two full songs by Return to Forever IV, captured live on their 2011 World Tour.

. 12-oz. package of RTF's Jammin' Java Coffee (organic and fair trade):

A delicious micro-roasted artisanal high-end organic and fair trade coffee from around the world. Your select coffee will be roasted to perfection in small batches from one of the best coffee producing countries in the world: Guatemala, Ethiopia, Sumatra, or Brazil.

Maybe you should consider a VIP package when you come to play the Blue Note again ? Sure, you could put me under your floor toms, another person could be under Christophe's piano,, another could sit next to Jean Marie and hand him his picks - I think it could work . Rolling Eyes

All in fun guys ! Those of you who have seen Boomer know that he does not charge his fans to meet him. He asks that you buy a CD which he is very happy to autograph, and he signs whatever you bring whether or not you buy a CD ! He also takes the time to pose for photos with everyone who asks and talks with all who ask him questions. Many times his dinner is getting cold while this is going on. I have never seen him turn anyone down nor speak rudely to anyone. The mark of a professional, and a gentleman !

Don, orchestra seats are $147.00 here so you better start saving now - though I think the tickets are already on sale. Let me check where RTF are playing near you -

9/19 Humphrey's in San Diego
9/20 Greek Theatre in Los Angeles
9/21 Mondavi Center in Davis
9/22 Warfield in San Francisco

Time to empty the piggy bank and cash in your CD's !!! I love you

Peace, TED

Last edited by Ted E. Bear on Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Don is always scolding me for spending so much money on tickets to shows. He is very F R U G A L when it comes to buying music show tickets. He probably wouldn't even spend money to come see your show, so it's fortunate for him that he tech's for you on the coast so he can get in for free !

Ted, that statement is not true and it's also a bit of a low blow.
First, I have in the past and would always pay to see Billy. The
fact that I tech for him when he comes to town has nothing to do
with it. I work with Billy because it's a privilidge, honor and a
wonderful. learning experience. Even if I had to pay to get in, I
would STILL tech for him if he gave me the chance. One thing has
NOTHING to do with the other.

I am very picky about who I go to see perform. For the sake of supporting
the arts I have been working to change those habbits. But the truth is
RTF's last original member tour was only a shadow of what they used to be.
and for me to pay $100.00 plus and then see a show like that would not have
made me very happy. That's a heck of a price to pay for "I was there" bragging
rights.

Billy always puts on a heck of a show, never any half steppin or a hint of he hasn't
got it anymore. His shows smoke from the first note to the last and that's what I
expect when I go to see a show and BC delivers that. If your rotator cuff's bothering
you then stay home and heal, don't come out and charge me a week's paycheck so I
can watch and listen to you half-ass it behind your instrument.

Again, if paying $540.00 to see these guys is what works for you, Ted, then right on, man.
Besides, it's not so much about what you do as much as it is about what I wouldn't do, so
to each his own...

But that above comment of yours is inaccurate and is just a plain ol' cheap shot.

8Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hey Don, I guess you didn't read my line "all in fun guys " because that's how I meant it, not to be a low blow. I know you support Billy, just as much as I do.

AS far as the last RTF tour being " a shadow of what they used to be " , I would disagree with you on that. On what are you basing that - the Montreux DVD ? Because that wasn't as good as the show I saw in New York, even though I had to bob and weave around Kareem Abdul Jabbar who was sitting directly in the seat in front of me , next to Gayle Moran.

RTF at half strength is way better than a lot of what's out there. And yes, Lenny was injured for the tour - as far as I know, he still hasn't done anything about the shoulder problem yet either. Lenny with 3 limbs can still outplay a lot of drummers .

Live shows are the only place an artist can now make some money , so ticket prices have gone up. Steely Dan is doing a week of shows at the Beacon theatre playing a different album each night plus other "hits" . Orchestra seats are $175 each. I wish I could go but I emptied the budget on the RTF seats. Stanley is playing tonite thru the weekend at the Blue Note with Ron Bruner on drums- once again, I can't afford it.

I'm sorry you didn't see the humor in what I was saying . You're no fun anymore.

Peace, TED

9Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 pm

boomer

What's great about you guys and most who hang out on this site, is that you do your home work and generally know enough about a subject to make the debate worth while reading and for this I salute you. It's amazing how much has changed so that bands or artists in general, have to come up with ideas for presentations that will be of interest to those who have the 'keys to the venue' and then to the public, so that they may present the best of their past while possibly offering a glimpse of their present musical status. Seems as if certain aspects of the American Idol platform are beginning to be established in live venues as well. I wonder if this will continue through out the world in this way? scratch

10Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am

Colin

Colin

"Yes, the tickets were expensive. $539 each "

Yes thats real high
but if you got the best seat and had a great show
then its worth the money.

Lenny is amazing
but I hope his Doctor is advising him
proper.

With Frank and Jean Luc
this is a super band.
Changing in a good way, I hope.

Outtasight
Colin.

11Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted, you know I love you, man... And I apologize if I took what you said the wrong way.
On the other hand I honestly feel that under the circumstances with the previous posts
dealing with this thread, I had little choice but to take what you said at face value.
But again, I apologize for misreading you and I'm happy that you didn't mean it the way
I took it...

As to RTF, I've heard several of their reunion performances including Montruex.
I wasn't impressed. The standard for those guys as far as I'm concerned was their live
(I believe radio) performance at Electric Lady Studios in N.Y. in 75. The CD's and clips I've
heard was nowhere close to that level of play. You may be right about Lenny being better
than most with three limbs... But I don't compare him to most, I compare him to Lenny, and
Lenny ain't what he used to be. And niether is the band for that matter.

Billy:

Yep, times are a changin... George Clinton is coming BACK to Yoshi's S.F. Rolling Eyes
I sincerely hope this latest tour changes my assesment.

12Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 7:58 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Don you know I love you too man ! afro You're just gettin sensitive in your old age ! Now as to your standard for RTF being a studio performance at Electric Ladyland - you can certainly pick that as your favorite performance by them, I have no problem with that. But why do you have to hold every performance of theirs to that standard ? Artists, like athletes, are going to have good and bad nights . I would venture to say that with RTF , even a bad night for them would be superior to most bands. Granted, that's my personal opinion, but I have seen them live 10 times as a band - and countless more times in their solo projects. I have been pleased a lot more than I have been disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, you haven't seen RTF as a band even once ? Perhaps you should at least give them a shot ?

Boomer, things certainly are changing with how an artist generates revenue live. I think the meet and greet events are a good thing and can add thousands to the gate, depending on the venue size. Roger Daltry of the Who has one on his new tour where he is playing the entire Tommy album - a meet and greet with a personal photo op with roger is going for $650. It also includes a seat in the first 3 rows. There are other packages too. What I like about this idea, in addition to being able to meet a favorite artist is that the artist and promoter is taking away some of the scalping advantage from the scalpers. By holding and selling the first 1-10 rows of a venue, they take that away from them [ and the money they make off of it ] and allow the true fans to be able to even get those seats. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get tickets for a show and been online the minute they went on sale, and get stuck somewhere in the back, or shut out completely. Only to find close seats going for 10 times the asking price for sale by a broker or scalper on e-bay. So , I like the meet and greet offerings, and that's why I support them !

Colin, I agree with you too !

Peace, TED

13Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 1:36 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well, brother Ted, people will read that and believe it. What's most important
to me is that you didn't mean it like I took it... Your brotherhood means more
than you know to me, And because of that you have the ability to reach
sensitive areas where I wouldn't give it a second thought had it been said by
someone who is not as close to me. Again, I apologise for misinterpreting your
meaning.

Concerning RTF.

Good points... And I don't hold them strictly to that E.L.S. standard.
But that performance was extraordinary. Consider this: Every person that
I spoke to who went to see the last reunion tour said that they were good,
and that they played the songs well. Not one person including yourself
ranted about how great the band was or how they brought back the fire
of old.... They did merely a good job.

And yes you're right, I've never seen them live and in person. Thus you
should understand that my judgement criteria is not based on that but
what music I've heard from them on records and what shows I've seen
both through video clips and concerts I've seen on tv from then till now.
So the platform from which I make my call is consistant. What I hear from
them today is nothing close to what I heard yesterday. These feelings are also
reflected in the feedback I got from those who did go to see them, again this
includes you. And remember, we're talking about the same songs they played
those 30 some odd years ago.

I have the Montreux show on two CD's. The Jazz material was burning, the fusion
side was lack luster... My opinion anyway.

14Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Perhaps some of the fire was not there because of the tension caused between the band and Al D. ? Of course , nobody knew this had re-surfaced until the tour was over and they went out as a trio immediately after, without him. I guess the writing should have been on the wall when Al didn't show up to most of the meet and greets as I had said before. I think the fresh blood that will be injected by Gambale and Luc Ponty will re-energize the music and my expectation is that this will be even better than the "returns" tour.

Peace, TED

15Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

You know, Ted. I actually considered that possibility and forgot to mention it.
Man, I really hope you're right about this upcoming tour, especially with the price
you paid for a ticket!

16Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat May 28, 2011 6:59 am

boomer

Ted:
I am impressed with your breakdown on the meet and greet concept for the really conscientious fans that's great! It gives me much food for thought as well so, thanks for that.
Boomer

17Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat May 28, 2011 7:03 am

boomer

Great thoughts and ideas guys, I applaud you for what's written here as there is much to absorb in your opinions.

Boomer

18Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 am

spanky

spanky

Well I saw them here in Philly the last show, I am going to see if they are coming back, I know Stanley loves playing here, I mean why not he was born and raised here, Stanley and I are products of Overbrook High. So Stanley get the band back here man. And as the 532 bucks for the tickets, if you got it like that then go for it.

19Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Thanks Boomer ! And remember , if you do go with a meet and greet with seats on the stage , I want to be right next to you !LOL !

Spanky : RTF August 10 @ the Mann Center in Philly . Tickets are already on sale.

Peace, TED

20Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat May 28, 2011 7:00 pm

spanky

spanky

Thanks I am going to get my ticket, that's where they were the last time.

RETURN TO FOREVER IV with special guest ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
CHICK COREA • STANLEY CLARKE • LENNY WHITE • JEAN-LUC PONTY • FRANK GAMBALE
8/10/11
$99.50, $62.50, $49.50, $39.50 (Balcony), $29.50 (Terrace)
ReturnTo Forever IV, the latest installment of the definitive jazz/rock/fusion ensemble comes to Philadelphia for a truly epic, unprecedented musical event. Almost forty years after first appearing on the scene, the much honored ensemble is making one of their storied returns to action. Bring together a union of jazz/rock’s founding fathers: from RTF, core members Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White; from Mahavishnu Orchestra, virtuoso electric violinist Jean-Luc Ponty. Then add fiery-fingered guitarist Frank Gambale. Toss in a torrent of RTF’s classic songbook, highlights from each member’s solo career, new heavyweight material and turn them loose!

Last edited by spanky on Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Return to Forever 2011 Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

drumman

I would rather take a vacation with the $500+ dollars!!!!!!

22Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

To each his own - that's certainly your right Drumman .

It just seems to me you like to find excuses for not attending shows - Boomer was not playing close to you, or in a venue you liked .........youi'd rather take a vacation than spend money on a show ......

I guess you like to enjoy live music vicariously thru others - I'll try and post some photos for you to do that again in Sept.

Peace,

TED

23Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Return to Forever 2011 Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 am

drumman

Thanks Ted,
Photos would be great, I may attend one of the shows in my area in Philly.
No insult intended, have a great time.

I just don't like to travel too far to see a show, not my cup of tea.
But I can appreciate if someone else is into it, some people follow their favorite sports teams
around from state to state...now that is hardcore!

24Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon May 30, 2011 10:42 am

Woody

Woody

I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.... Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

25Best Seats in the House Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Woody, the other day someone asked me why I play so many gigs.
I told them that I was so broke, I can't even turn down my collar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum