BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Seats in the House

+6
Colin
boomer
drumman
D. Slam
Woody
spanky
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Billy, I thinks it's a wonderful thing you do coming out to greet your fans.
When you start charging all this money for "meet and greets", there's
nothing genuine about that. It's just another ploy that's all about the
Benjamins. No stab at you, Ted as I know that this is just a part of the
overall package.

I will say though that such desperate measures only tells me that all
of these truly great artists need our support all the more. And sacrafices
must be made on ALL our parts. Though those prices are way to steep for
me, I know that a large part of Ted's reasoning for doing this is to support
what is sadly a struggling art form. I can only take my hat off to you for this,
Teddy B. We all need to be more diligent in this regard.... Or the Jazz doors
WILL close!

27Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best seats in the house Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:17 am

drumman

You're right on D.Slam!
It's like they are saying, I don't care about the fans, they are chumps and not worthy of speaking
to me, pay me a lot of money and I will pretend I care, other wise I will slip out the back door.

This is a fairly new trend in the concert business, it first started in Rock, with expensive meet and greets.
Now the Jazz Fusion genre is trying it out, I am sure they like the big cash it drawls.

Only down to earth artists like Boomer, do it for free and really show their appreciation for their listeners.
Also, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, and Asia (Steve Howe, Carl Palmer) have also signed autographs for free.

28Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:45 am

boomer

Drumman: Please keep in mind that we as artists absolutely require an audience and as soon as we don't have an audience we cease to function as artists. "When you are the only supporter of your presentation you tend to get bored with the positive comments you make about yourself if there is no one else around to support your position." As soon as the same "chumps" begin to pay attention to other situations of equal value them and the "bottom line" is noted by the accountants, managers, bishops, cardinals, ceo's, lawyers and miscellaneous board members supporting them then they start to do back flips to attract the attention of those people who were once called "chumps" but who are once again followers and supporters. This means that they NEED YOU, the audience otherwise their life as artists are without merit. But, isn't that the "way of the world"?

Boomer

29Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

"When you are the only supporter of your presentation you tend to get bored with the positive comments you make about yourself if there is no one else around to support your position."

So true, B. I've found over the years that the artistic side of the performer is quite selfish
and so it should be. We create from the heart and then present what we've established
to the public, hopefully for their enjoyment. Regardless how strongly we feel about what
we do, we still want very much what we present to be liked.

I've aslo discovered through the years that there is a major difference in creating for the public,
and creating for artistic self expression and presenting that to the public. Just as much as there
is a difference in wanting to be a great artist, and wanting to be a superstar. The latter is usually
if not always at the ready for major compromise to reach their desired position of status.

This targeted audience of kids and young adults are getting what they THINK they want, and here
we are. Rolling Eyes

30Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 pm

boomer

Also keep in mind that we are all subject to trends and generally tend to follow and not "lead" thus there are cycles so stay tuned for what's just over horizon folks that is unless you an alternative route to travel.....................
By the way has anyone heard of ZOOM drums? They are very interesting and should be on the market before the year is out.
Boomer Wink

31Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Zoom Drums ? I have heard of the Zoom drum machines but not the drums. Are they made by the same people ? I have not tried a zoom drum machine but the reviews I have read are pretty favorable.

What can you tell us Boomer ?

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

32Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 pm

boomer

Ted:
The drums are designed to be used in two positions and you can regulate the depth of the shells. They expand or contract to preset positions. The head size at one end is an inch larger or smaller than at the other end. The bass drums are about 2 inches in dimension from one side to the other. They are definitely a conversation piece and I hear they will be on the market come September of this year so keep an eye out. Of course, if I get any more information I will post it here, Ted.
Boomer

33Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Colin

Colin

http://www.zoomdrum.com/index.htm

Yes Zoom Drums
look good.

Outtasight
Colin.

34Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Telescopic drums.... Interesting! Throw some lenses on it and take some killer photos. Wink
Well, let's see what they sound like... Thanks for putting this up, Colin.

I definitely want one of these though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOztW9FxqI&feature=player_embedded#at=159

35Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

looks like a great idea, especially for carrying them to gigs ! And you can get a different sound depending on how you open them up.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they sound like, like everybody else . And then of course, how much they cost. Don't look like they will be inexpensive. [ think Caravaggio prices].

boomer if you get a chance to try them out soon, I'd love to hear your perspective on them. And thanks for the info. You too, colin !

I guess they won't be out till October, though. Just in time for my birthday ! Now you guys know what to chip in and buy for me !!! affraid

Peace, TED

36Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:54 pm

spanky

spanky

Hmmmmmm

37Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 am

boomer

I had a chance to hear them in the developmental stage and thought they have a chance with the right heads on them and either a finish to harden the young wood plys or shells made from aged wood plys. I think I would like to check them out against what I normally play when they finally are released to the general public. I think they are set to be available in the fall of this year, if I'm not mistaken. scratch

38Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Igor

Igor

Tomorrow i'm gonna see Billy for the 4th time! I wish VIP seats would be possible :-) at least i'd have time to ask Boomer for one of his sticks after the show. I remember the first time i went to Boomer's concert in 1995. After the show we somehow happened to find a room where the band gave a press conference and after that we took a picture with Boomer and he signed our tickets. So it can be considered a VIP package long before RTF "invented" it :-) Welcome to Jerusalem!

Last edited by Igor on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

39Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:10 am

Racman

Racman

Ted, sounds like you've got the VIP tickets which, I'm thinking, having a back stage pass like you did the last time? If so, I'll send you a pair of my Lenny White signature stix for you to have Lenny officially sign it for me. Would you do that favor please? I might be making the September date possibly with D if my work allows for that to happen.

Rac

http://www.glennracoma.com

40Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Hi Rac,

I do have the backstage pass with seats onstage. However, I plan to try and get in very early for soundcheck with my brother. I don't want to be carrying anything around except my little camera, which fits in my pocket. I don't even know yet what they are planning to do about the other "goodies" they come in the VIP package [ sheet music, a pen & pencil set , signature coffee, and other stuff] . I hope they will send this stuff to my house so I don't have to lug that around too . My object is to meet the musicians and talk with them, and hopefully get a photo with them.

However, I do realize your admiration for Lenny, which I understand. So , here's what i will try and do. I will try and get some sticks, or something signed for you, but don't send me anything to do that with. I cant promise that I can get anything signed, but I will try if the opportunity presents itself. And that phrase is key : backstage is always very hectic and sometimes the musicians are just not in the mood for fans. You never know.

My best suggestion is to try and see them yourself BUT I give you my word, I will make some kind of attempt, okay ?

Best I can do ! Peace, TED

41Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Racman

Racman

Thats kind of you Ted and I do appreciate your thoughts on my silly request. But please don't go out of your way. I understand you have other concerns being there and lugging stuff can be a hassle...I agree now.

But thanks anyway,
Rac

http://www.glennracoma.com

42Best Seats in the House - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Seats in the House Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:15 am

Asaph

Asaph

Man, this thread is the reason I keep posting on this forum. Just good reading. The comments about scalpers was terrific.

Drumman, if you don't want me to post so much you need to take the archive away. This is great reading, and really pulls responses out of me. Can't be wallflower around here. I should be reading two books I brought on vacation with me. Haven't touched them since coming here.

ZOOM drums. Actually, telescoping drums go way back to the early 20th century. As I recall a bass drum collapsed into its out carrying case. I'll have to look that up.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum