BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal

+7
Racman
Ted E. Bear
Woody
MagnetsRule
Suss
D. Slam
Colin
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

51Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:19 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

HI Pete-

Just wondering how you adjust the tension on this pedal?

52Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Dave,

Check out this video:

What I will be interested in is the
resistance 2-ways - down and up.

I am intrigued. I will let you know
and when the time comes, I will
share with you the details.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

53Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:36 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

ok Thanks Pete--

54Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

We spoke, today. He is the
nicest fellow. He's a hard-
worker and admirable.

I am looking forward to ex-
periencing this design.

I will keep you informed.

Regards,

55Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Asaph

Asaph

I originally found this forum by looking at hits for a Drumnetics search. I am deciding between the Trick and the Drumnetics. I hope to try out a Trick while on the road, either at a Guitar Center or Memphis Drum Shop. I really appreciate Mike's willingness to do the trial offer on his pedal. He doesn't live that far from me. A few hours, maybe. I'd love to go to his set up in NC and check one out when I get home.

I just wrote an article for my web site on pedals. So much is stated by manufacturers, but at the same time, so little. Writing the article helped me get a grip on not only using words to describe pedal mechanics in some kind of, hopefully, practical way, but also formulating what I really am looking for in a pedal, myself. At this point there isn't a bad pedal out there, really. Not even inexpensive ones. But finding something you can become one with, that is the thing. Compression or expansion. I am going back to compression (Speed King growing up). Having used a bunch of pedals now and feeling like I have wrestled with most of them the last 20 years, I am figuring it is simply muscle memory and growing up with the SK. Of course, now I wonder what it will be like to leave expansion springs after 20 years. I may enter a kick pedal Twilight Zone. Na-na, na na - na na, na na - na na, na na.

Wrote to Mike. No reply, yet. Holidays. I'm sure he's busy.

I also appreciated the thread here on the Trick Pro 1V. Very helpful.

Has anyone here gotten the Drumnetics? Was wondering especially about the shape of the cam, the pear shape, and its proximity to a bass drum head if the drum is tilted up some. Would the end of the cam rub on a head? In all the vids I have seen, Mike plays it with his bass drum flat, and the beater going past 90 degrees. It looks like a close call for the cam rubbing against the head if you tilt your bass.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

56Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I have them both. Mike will
allow you to try it for a period
of time to see how you respond.

I would wait for him to contact
you. Yes. The Holiday is wicked
busy for everyone - add to that:
he is working on modifications,
at this time, for me, which are
exciting, if I do say so, myself.

Regards,

57Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Asaph

Asaph

No kidding. That's pretty cool. Is it possible for you to mention the modifications he is working on? I thought the Nucleus 3 was the newest design. Maybe I'm way behind the curve on this thing.

58Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:23 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

He is working on the link (the
pull-down) and also lengthening
and shifting its angle. I have
tried the prototype and in my
opinion, it is better.

I hope to hear from him, soon.

I will try and keep you up.

Regards,

59Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 am

Asaph

Asaph

I'll be calling him today. Lots to discuss. I'm pretty excited about this because I really appreciate openness on the part of people in the drum making world. I am really leaning more toward American made goods, too. I am so sick of seeing China on every box that comes into my life. I canceled any interest in Yamaha's new pedal because of that. It comes down to Trick or Drumnetics because of compression function, but if expansion were in the running, Axis would be too - American made.

60Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Spoke with Mike for quite awhile and he had to run for a lesson. What a beautiful human being. He's had a tough row to hoe with the industry. Discouraging and frustrating to be sure. But he keeps marching. A regular guy with a cool idea. God bless him.

Can't wait to get the pedal to try out. We spoke quite a bit about the cam/footboard linkage. I wish he left it as the original sliding unit. I've asked him to send me the three different links if he has any lying around.

I'm a bit apprehensive about a solid link, which I shared with him. A high end pedal without independent adjustment for footboard height is a tough sell in today's market. Unless I misunderstood what this new link is actually doing. But it seems it will now make it so the beater angle and footboard height/angle are one. Move one, the other goes with it.

You believe that makes the pedal better? I'm curious how.

Still, can't wait to get my foot on the thing.

61Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

The longer link allows for
a reverse-angle at impact,
which gives a better snap-
back for the second stroke.
The best pedals have the
longer links.

And that is not all. We have
shifted the whole mechanism
forward and this adds to that
action to which I just referred.

I played the original design.
These changes make it sup-
erior, in my opinion.

Try it and see for yourself. He
has and concurs.

Btw, it is true. He is a wonder-
ful, wonderful person.

Regards,

62Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:37 am

Asaph

Asaph

Well, mine is on the way.

In speaking with Mike the other day I thought he moved the posts BACK half inch to increase reverse angle at impact.

In any event, he's sending me a pedal with some options for tweaking and experimentation.

To do this as fair as possible I also have gotten a Trick Pro1-V and a Speed King for compression comparison, being they are the only ones out there. I grew up on the SK. Have not played one in twenty years or more, now. Ebay is a cool thing, I'll tell you. I got really good deals on both. Granted they are used, especially the SK, but that's okay. I can refurbish the SK and bring it back if it needs that.

Just offhand, Pete, I am wondering what your impression is of the Drumnetics compared to the Trick?

63Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I have been holding back on
my review of the Drumnetics
pedal until I get the modified
one from Mike, whom I have
grown very fond of over the
last few months.

I will have some things to say
about it in the near future, most
likely. I want to be fair to him
in what I present to you.

Regards,

64Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Of the four pedals I have, which I placed next to each other for the test (Off-Set, Yamaha, Trick, and the Drumnetics) and memory of the Speed Cobra I tried out last week, the Nucleus 3 is closest to a perfect pedal for me as I have tried. I just sent Mike a long review.

If by reverse angle you mean the shaft is less than 90 degrees at impact, I could not get that, regardless of adjustments, which was the only thing that I found fault with, for me. I really dislike, and as a result, never go past 90 degrees on impact. It has always felt lax and stressed to me. Now, I set this test up against a vertical surface, not a bass drum. I always tilt my bass drum back at me enough to make sure I am less than 90 at impact. Tilting the test surface towards me gave me the quick impact feel I am used to, so ...

I tried both post positions. The forward is better. Funny, I thought you stated you had him push the posts back. He sent it to me posts placed back, and I placed the posts forward after awhile to see the difference. That pushed the beater noticeably closer to the impact surface, and also I placed the link all the way up, after trying all three settings and liked it better high, though if I played heels down the angle of the footboard would be rather uncomfortable for me, and I sit pretty high, too.

The magnets are terrific. Very sensitive. The Trick wins out on beater placement, which is very far forward on its mechanism compared to all other pedals I've owned or tried. I basically maxed out all the Tricks possible settings. Dialing in is nice. I didn't find the compression adjustments to be quite as defined as reviews I've read. Most times if I max out a spring it is way too tough for me. Not the case with the Trick. The magnets are noticeably aggressive set all the way up, but still quite controllable. Overall, though, the Nucleus just kept pulling me back to it. The Off Set is just a great pedal, too, and I actually found it easier to play faster on the expansion springs, but had more control with the Trick and Nucleus, which I expected.

The only physical problem is with the posts forward the hoop clamp bolt did not line up with its receptacle. Maybe just an oversight Mike forgot about. I didn't think about it, because I thought you liked the posts further back, but if he sent you one with forward posts he must have a post design that accommodates lining up the the tightening bolt.

I tried each pedal on my Hart edrum kick and the Nucleus won out there, too, for me. My acoustic drums are undergoing a renovation and are down right now. I am trying to finish up a bass drum before the trial period expires.

I also wondered what a longboard would feel like, and mentioned that to Mike. The Speed Cobra really surprised me last week, even though it isn't quite a longboard by design. It is quite a bit longer than any other split boards I have encountered. If the Nucleus had a longboard it would raise the heel some and take away some of the severe angle.

If I could just move that beater wheel forward 1/4" and get that beater to impact in less than 90 degrees this pedal is gold for me. The Trick is an excellent pedal, to be sure. Very close they are, but the Nucleus has an edge in those magnets and the centered design of it all. "Immediate" is the one word I use to describe the feel. I mean, Bang! that beater is on that head with more wallop than any of the other pedals using the same stroke force.

In some respects it actually surprised me that I like the OFF SET better than the Trick, being an expansion system. It is beefier than the other pedals, and with my 13EEE feet the wide footboard and weight and solid nature of the whole unit just feels really good to me. But the action of the magnets is quite unique on the Nucleus.

I generally place my beater at 12 - 13" off the floor, at center. Can't be done with the Nucleus centered cam/beater system. You only have about 3/4" inch of play there. I had to cut down beater shafts for use with the Hart edrum kick, and using one of those beaters in the Nucleus made all the difference in the world. With a standard beater I could not get the unit going as fast as my other pedals where you can slide the beater shafts up and down at will. I should mention this used Trick I got off ebay came with a Tama rotating beater, which is fine, because I like those anyway. So, I have not been able to try out the Trick sliding beater heads.

I couldn't quite warm up to the Trick footboard. The pedal came with the base slid all the way forward. Good grief it places the pedal an inch and half closer to you then the other pedals. Drastic. I tried it that way and then slid the base back and brought the Trick to the same basic placement as the other pedals, though even there the footboard is closer to use because you really can't place your toes up closer to the pivot point like other pedals. That means adjusting bass drum placement to accommodate leg angles. Not a big deal.

The centered nature of the Nucleus was noticeable to me. Not drastic, but noticeable. The Trick obviously has more adjustments, but for me, going past certain points became totally useless regardless of where you counter-adjusted in other places. Great pedal though. Almost neck and neck with the Nucleus because of beater angle adjustment. And maybe a slightly beefier feel to the whole pedal by weight and design. Cannot compare with the OFF SET, though. That thing is a tank with eagle's wings. If Charles made a single pedal I may have never looked into getting anything else. Finding the Nucleus has been a great discovery.

I also would need to affix a toe stop on the footboard. My foot just keeps incessantly sliding forward to the point of distraction. I also think a toe stop would add a little weight I miss compared to the OS and even the Yamaha with the toe stop I put on it which made a huge difference. The Yam is a rattle trap compared to the silence of the Nucleus and Trick. The OS is quite silent, too, but just a touch of spring stretch can be heard with it.

Ultimately if the beater shaft screw were placed behind the shaft rather than in front I could rotate the wheel further forward and get the impact angle I really desire. Of course, Mike has a physical stop on the motion to prevent the wheel from going past the point of being able to place a drum key over the screw head.

I also will try to place a small piece of metal rod under the footboard, magnet holding it in place, and see if the slight weight adds some oomph to the feel. Big feet are no blessing, I'll tell you. I just like some weight underneath my foot.

The immediate action of the Nucleus is really nice. BAM! The more I played it, the less the learning curve took place.

To be totally honest, after all the thinking and research I have done in the last couple of months, while the difference between expansion systems and compression systems is noticeable, it is not difficult to overcome, and one has its merits for various pedal tastes. I'm still waiting on a Speed King I got off ebay, just for comparison's sake. I grew up on that and want to feel the twin compression springs again. But I'm sold on the magnets. No gimmick there. Real pedal science. Aside from some sliding forward on the footboard, the pedal truly becomes one with your foot. Brain, foot, play action is really one, which is wonderful. I am not involved in the slight wrestling match I feel with an expansion spring, even the OFF SET to a small degree. The Trick is not a wrestling match, but the action is different by design. I tried getting the Trick and Nucleus to match. Couldn't do it. Close, but no real match in feel. They both feel nice, though.

We'll see what Mike says about all the ideas and stuff coming at him. Like he says, with all honesty and practicality, he'd never have a pedal to sell if he followed everyone's suggestions he's gotten. Trying to come up with a pedal that meets everyone's tastes and feel is impossible. I do not care what any company says. Human beings are all too different to have such a device. Ultimately we are talking nuances. Anyone with proficiency can play just about any pedal with some adjustments. Even beginner's pedals. Some just make it a little easier for players to pull off the multiple strokes and all.

Is there a bad pedal out there anymore? I doubt it. The Nucleus is as close to a perfect feel as I have gotten thus far in the search, though.

UPDATE: Just want to make sure no one has the impression the Nucleus is a lightweight. While I didn't put the pedals on a scale, in lifting the Trick and Nucleus and letting them hang by two fingers it feels like the Trick weighs a tad more. I first felt the weight of the Off Set to be more than both the others, but its right about the same I'd say, which impresses me with how it is made to feel so stout and hefty. But they all weight about the same, and truly, this hi-tech aluminum is not siding on a house. It's heavy stuff. I can only logically conclude, once the Nucleus is tightened down to a hoop its strengths of use and action will only increase.

Last edited by Asaph on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

65Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Asaph,

Cool, man.

Which Nucleus 3 pedal did you try?
Was it the one with the longer link
and one with the option for the
mechanism forward and back?

What beater did you use?

Which magnet did you use? Was
it the original or less less powerful
one (weaker)?

Thanks and am glad to hear your
encouragement of Mike.

I believe he has sent another
pedal to me. In the near future,
after I work with it, I will write
about it and share my thoughts.

Regards,

66Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 am

Asaph

Asaph

Asaph,

Cool, man.

Which Nucleus 3 pedal did you try?
Was it the one with the longer link
and one with the option for the
mechanism forward and back? *******Not sure about that. After talking with him about things he sent me a pedal with split linkage which allowed me three positions in length, and two extra holes in the base plate to move the posts forward. The pedal was quite usable in either post position, but I preferred having the posts forward to get that beater closer to impact surface. If the beater wheel could be moved forward more, I may have just found the posts in the rear position just as flexible for foot movements.

What beater did you use? *******I used several, actually. My normal beaters are either rotating Yamahas or Tamas which I affix wooden drawer knobs too (Lowes/Home Depot) and place a leather dot the size of a quarter on (I'm not really into felt or plastic or typical wooden beaters). I used Yams, and Gibraltar felt/plastic, and a couple other felt/plastic beaters, different weights, etc.

Which magnet did you use? Was
it the original or less less powerful
one (weaker)? *******I wasn't aware of varying magnets. I don't know which ones he sent me. I did appreciate the fact that I could actually use this pedal at any set force just by adjusting the link and beater wheel. I was able to set the Trick for the same thing. I have never been able to play well on an expansion system fully tightened. Way too much tug-back from the springs. So these magnets, while showing sensitive placement differences, were totally functional in any position. Different aspects were allowed - simple free consistent toss, more snap closer to impact, stronger impact. There was no setting where the pedal just sort of fell apart. The Trick, on the other hand, if you back out the tension knob too far, just slops around. My reaction to some of the possible settings was "What the heck am I supposed to do with this? What could anyone do with this?" It seemed overkill for adjustments. I will say sitting at the pedals lined up this morning the Trick felt equal to the Nucleus for overall feel. But so did the Off Set for that matter. So, having my muscles rest overnight made an interesting difference for me. I just truly wish I could rotate that beater wheel forward. That is so max for me. It may be just a nanosecond difference, but I do feel it. All high end modern pedals have total rotation for beaters. At least all the pedals I have owned in the last 20 years. I realize Mike's concept - keeping the whole pedal centered by mechanism and design. If there were a way for him to place that beater screw behind the shaft so the wheel can go further forward and get the 90 degrees on impact and less of a push on the pedal it would be perfect. I mean, you know, "perfect" is a strong word to use. Perfect for me. Of course, upon closer inspection it may be that the placement of the beater relative to the cam will not allow the beater to remain less than 90 degrees regardless of how far you rotate the beater wheel forward. But, it would effect how far the footboard is depressed before impact. And, too, most importantly, this test was performed with the pedals just sitting on the floor. Velcro kept them all stable, but in reality the only way to know for sure just what angle the beater will strike the drum head at is hooked up to the hoop. So, I really need to finish a kick and set it up to truly see the tolerances. Just moving the pedals 1/4" closer to my test surface made a big difference for all the pedals. I just like real short distances and quick impact. Some like a much longer stroke.

Thanks and am glad to hear your
encouragement of Mike. *******He's a peach. First email I sent him I told him just to see an American made pedal, no over the top hype, by just a nice, regular mellow guy, even if I didn't get one, I hope he sells a million of them. This industry truly needs people like him.

I believe he has sent another
pedal to me. In the near future,
after I work with it, I will write
about it and share my thoughts. *******Looking forward to reading your results.

Regards,

67Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am

Asaph

Asaph

2nd UPDATE: I'm noticing something interesting. In playing the pedals this morning, for speed and accuracy the Nucleus and Trick remain neck and neck. Different feel, but accomplishes what brain/foot/play wants to do. But I am noticing an interesting matter when articulation comes into play. The Trick seems to perform each note at the same velocity. It's mechanism is so precise it doesn't seem to leave room for emphasis of notes. Obviously perfect for those playing fast blast beats forever, but I can play with more articulation of note emphasis with the Nucleus. That is a second day experience. It seemed that way last night, but this morning it is just as noticeable to me. Both pedals "marry" to your foot. They do what you want to do without a struggle. But the Nucleus feels more natural, like your actual foot action - up down.

That is another interesting aspect of the Nucleus. A foot goes up, down. It doesn't swing back and forth like springed pedals do. That is not a dig against spring pedals, obviously, but it does seem to speak to the natural movement of the Nucleus. It goes forward and back, once. One might think that would be a terrible action, but it isn't at all. It is totally natural to what your foot does. You don't play the pedal. You play the drum.

Also I must address this, too, thankfully. Just on a whim I took a bass hoop and placed it against my test surface and put the Nucleus to it just to see the distance to impact, and it got me just a tad closer to the impact surface than I had been setting up, and the beater is 90 degrees. Feels great. Major issue settled. With the beaters I actual use I will make impact before 90 degrees. Excellent. A minor adjustment of magnet, shaft angle and beater head angle will compensate perfectly. I might even find myself placing the posts back to the further position for comparison's sake.

Good deal. And while I got this Trick used for a really good price (in brand new condition no less) it's street price new is $125 higher (or more) than the Drumnetics, which is another big point in favor of the Nucleus 3.

Bravo, Mike!

68Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Asaph

Asaph

And just a quick third UPDATE:

Mike sent a pedal to me with a post which was one of a batch machined wrong by the shop he uses. Just an oversight on his part and a correct post is on the way. Along with a second pedal for double bass.

I am lovin' the unit more and more each day and I'm just playing a board with a neoprene cushion on it! Can't wait to finish my set and get this puppy behind a bass drum.

I also got the Speed King in. Venerable old friend. Has that smell of an SK, the grease in the posts. Haven't smelled that in a long time. True to its character, despite its smaller size (though the footboard is wider than most pedals out there) it does what it always did, move with your foot, and rattle while doing it!

Talked with Mike awhile yesterday and told him the Nucleus has an "organic" feel to it. It just feels more a part of my foot than other pedals I've had under it.

I believe this device is a world class item, comparable to anything out there for playability, and in a class by itself because of the magnet repulsion system. Looks cool, too. I like his footboard logo best of any pedal I've owned.

Very silent, too. It HAS to be quiet because it has so few moving parts. A definite friend to microphones.

When my set is up and running I'll put a little something on my youtube page about it. For all the pedals he has sold, and the accolades from users, I am rather shocked no one has posted their own youtube of it yet. I truly believe he just needs some decent exposure of this thing and the rest will take care of itself.

69Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Asaph

Asaph

UPDATE. The Speed Cobra came today. The longer board is very nice and, I believe, increases speed, control and fluidity.

The cobra coil is an absolute joke. I raised the footboard to the same height as my test pedals. I wondered, so I picked up the pedal and looked at its motion. When depressed it does not even TOUCH the Cobra Coil in its closest to footboard position. My mouth just dropped open. Are they kidding about this thing? Back in a lowered position it touches the spring, but I felt nothing for resistance at all. The spring is too short, and too weak to be noticed or useful. I almost get the feeling someone installed the wrong spring on this thing. The pedal is very smooth and quick like most expansion-spring systems. All in all a great pedal. Nicer than its older brother, as I remember it.

Nonetheless, besides using the terms "immediate" to describe the impact force, and "organic" to describe the action of brain/foot/play of the Nucleus, another choice of terms comes to mind to describe demarcation of the pedal -"energy transfer." Thus far, without a doubt to my sensitivities, the Nucleus has the best energy transfer in its stroke, especially given the fact I play a more shortened position of the beater. The energy I use to play patterns is less than what I am using on these other test pedals. By a huge margin? No. These are all world-class units, but again, I can sense it. Pedal to pedal the Nucleus has an energy transfer that seems greater, all things being equal.

So, three down, two to go in this test.

70Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Asaph

Asaph

UPDATE: This really should go on the BOA thread, but because of this test I am doing I am placing it here.

I ordered a BOA. Came today. Took it out of the box, set it next to the Nucleus. Put both in front of a Hart ekick pad, which is basically a piccolo snare drum with eguts and bass drum spurs. Let me tell you, I was shocked at how nice this thing felt right out of the box. A different feel than the Nucleus, reminiscent of the Trick, and for a few moments it seemed my bass drum pattern was easier to do on the BOA. I couldn't figure it out. Then I switched beaters. Whoah. The BOA slowed way down and the Nucleus perked right up! Hmm. The difference in the BOA beater? It protrudes farther than most beater heads.

So then I got my Yamaha modified beaters, with the wooden drawer knobs, which protrude the same distance as the BOA beater and voila! Both pedals had the same dynamic, though the energy transfer still goes to the Nucleus. But, I'll tell you, I was so pleased with the BOA's action, and its adjustments, that I ordered another one from another merchant (not many pedals are out there anymore).

I go back to the pedals, and I begin to hear this odd clacking sound from the BOA. I am searching everywhere for it. Made no sense. There's so few moving parts. Flexing the pedal quickly not striking the drum produced this annoying clicking sound. It was driving me crazy. I decided to review the BOA thread. AGH! BUMMER!

I took the BOA apart and sure enough, in less than 5 minutes two cracks were in the footboard right at the screw holes. Goodnightinthemorning that footboard is thin! Are they kidding? This thing makes more noise than a Speed King.

I instantly canceled the order for the second BOA and asked for a refund from the merchant I got number 1 from. This is THE worst purchase I have made of drum equipment, ever, and at 57, that is saying something. Shame on DW for selling this thing KNOWING the footboard will crack. No recalls? Are they kidding? And do the merchants know of this issue? Shame on them, too.

The BOA is a terrific pedal. I still like the Nucleus better for reasons already stated, but the BOA is pretty cool, as a device. But man, c'mon. It's like a toy at the back end. I can see what Pete has stated about just making it a tad thicker. That cannot be done? It would change the action somehow? Is that why it ended up that thin to begin with? Unacceptable. I am surprised Bob Gatzen has allowed the pedal to stay out there. Of course, I don't know the business agreements involved.

Anyway ... lesson learned. I should have re-read that BOA thread before I ordered this thing, but ... decided to take it for a test drive.

Nucleus still on top. Two to go.

71Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Asaph

Asaph

You know, I am wondering if this clacking sound is not just the board cracks or the board cracks at all, but somewhere else, as well. I cannot feel it happening with my hands. But it's there somewhere. Maddening. Too bad. Cool pedal.

72Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Okay, so the Demon Drive (I hate that name) came today. Been messing around with it on my test surface. Very nice pedal, although it was way too stiff for me out of the box, just like my experience at Guitar Center. Once I switched to long board and made some adjustments the pedal's sensitivity really came alive. Like all other pedals out there today it's smooth and fast and pretty seamless in its action. Nonetheless, the energy transfer compared to the Nucleus is just not there. Hard to explain, other than how the magnet repulsion matches up to the expansion/compression spring systems. Side by side the DD and the Trick are pretty close cousins, if not brothers. [*actually, the more I messed around with it, the less it is like the Trick, It is a very good expansion system, but an expansion system nonetheless]. Same precision and very solid feeling and all, although I would say the DD feels like it has a bit more "heart" to it, not so machine like. Nice set of adjustments, too. After playing the BOA and putting the DD in place it is quite a difference. Like the Trick the DD has a very solid feeling to it. It almost makes the BOA feel like a toy by comparison. It is the weight and feel of the BOA board, the diving board action, I reckon. Very light. The DD certainly is an attractive unit.

Thus far no pedal I've gotten has the same wallop upon impact at the same beater height as the Nucleus. That character trait, the immediacy of power in the throw, continues to stand out, as well as the energy transfer per stroke. I get more out of what I put into it than the other pedals in this test.

I AM VERY sold on long boards, though, period. Although, to be honest, with the size of my feet, no heel/toe strokes are possible on these pedals, but changing the overall leverage of the pedal board makes quite a difference in the feel and play action. Even if it's just the size of my feet and what they feel, I like that feature. So Mike, if you read this, think long board at some point in the near future. Very Happy Idea Very Happy

The lack of overall adjustment features on the Nucleus is certainly a consideration. On the other hand, if I am getting better action, with fewer adjustment options, I have no complaints. cheers

So, one pedal to go. Probably the most radical design out there. Panned here on this forum, but to be honest with this test I decided to get one. We'll see if it can dethrone the Nucleus.

Well, so much for that. I didn't know the Catapult was discontinued. Wanted to check it out. Oh well.

"This is only a test. This concludes the test of the emergency drum pedal system. You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled discission board. This was only a test."

73Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

Asaph

Asaph

UPDATE: Mike came by yesterday to talk shop and check out the pedal board test. The only real problem, a practical one, not a playability/action issue, is that, as I expected the shape of the cam does rub against my bass head. I tilt the drums back for the quicker impact. So, I ordered some 2" hoops which will handle the problem easily. With the bass drum almost vertical the pedal has no rubbing issues, but regardless of how I set up the pedal it just doesn't feel quite the same for me.

So, for those thinking of getting a Nucleus, if you tilt your bass drums back more than a few degrees you'll need to keep the pedal back some with a 2" hoop.

Of course, from a manufacturing viewpoint it is certainly possible to develop a longer base plate so the clamp system can either go forward or back to accommodate this issue. Mike is looking into that. We talked about a possible longboard, at least from an R&D viewpoint. Perhaps another design change will handle all the above.

He's a great guy, with a lot of passion for this work.

Oh, and the hi-hat stand is terrific. The magnets offer some greater resistance I have just never really felt from regular spring-loaded hi hat stands.

74Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

This is one of the reasons that I
promote the hoop-distancing
features like I do.

See if you guys can't come up
with a plan.

Regards,

75Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal - Page 3 Empty Re: Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Asaph

Asaph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdjUV9D4rU

That is the link to the youtube I did this morning doing an epilogue on my pedal test.

www.youtube.com/REFondrums is my youtube channel. I'll get a vid up there of the Nucleus' in action as soon as I get my bass drums up and running. Got both my 2" hoops and they will go on the drums shortly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum