BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Royster

+5
Daveonskins
spanky
kenny
Colin
Woody
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Royster Empty Royster Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 am

rarebit

Another TR clip for you to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqYbr0I0OM

2Royster Empty Re: Royster Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 am

Woody

Woody

I got tired of that pretty quick.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

3Royster Empty Re: Royster Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Typical, T.R. Jr., Woodman. I've never heard anything
from him outside of his constant barrage of chops.

It gets old and boring real quick like...

4Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

I would like to see him play real music, with a real band. I do admire his ability on the drums, but the gospel chops thing
has lost it's impact, because no matter who's playin it, they all sound the same to me... confused

5Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 am

kenny

kenny

i thought that totally smoked. i loved it! The man's got groove. he's got chops he's got it. i didn't look at it i listened to it. It made a difference I could hear what he was doing without watching his every move. i enjoyed what i heard.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

6Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 am

Colin

Colin

D. Slam wrote:Typical, T.R. Jr., Woodman. I've never heard anything
from him outside of his constant barrage of chops.

It gets old and boring real quick like...

He has been on Tours with bands
though?

Outtasight
Colin.

7Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

kenny wrote: i thought that totally smoked. i loved it! The man's got groove. he's got chops he's got it. i didn't look at it i listened to it. It made a difference I could hear what he was doing without watching his every move. i enjoyed what i heard.

I for one am in total agreement with you, Kenny... Tony is a monster player and does what he does EXTREMELY well.
My point is that's all I ever hear him do. And as D.L. said, it's that gospel chops thing and 99% of the drummers that
perform within that genre sound 99% identical.

Tony Royster, Thomas Lang, Marco Minnemann..... They do unbelievable things from behind the kit.
I'd just like to hear something musically relative or something that's not geared for chops sake alone.

But you're right, Tony smokes.............. AALLLLL THE TIME... Rolling Eyes

8Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 pm

kenny

kenny

I guess you could listen to Ringo then Wink Tony is there for people who enjoy what he does. I for one am glad he's around. No sense hoping for something that probably ain't gonna happen , like Tony doing anything but Tony. i totally understand what you mean about him. I thought this particular clip was one of the better ones where i felt like he was engaged with the music. It's his style heavy improvisation over other musicians. You'd think he'd give somebody else a solo but then it's a drum off or something. Right now his future's bright. I said before when his accompaniment is more interesting he will shine even brighter. He could take a few lessons from Ringo.

9Royster Empty Re: Royster Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, I guess this is what suits Tony best... Every moment behind the kit
is a solo opportunity for him.... Whatever the heck Ringo has to do with this
is something else altogether that I'm missing I reckon.... Oh well, whatever
rocks one's boat!

Last edited by D. Slam on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Royster Empty Re: Royster Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Ringo Rocks Kenny!!

Tony could polish his cymbals, and get him water at his shows etc... Razz

11Royster Empty Re: Royster Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:29 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Daveonskins wrote:Ringo Rocks Kenny!!

Tony could polish his cymbals, and get him water at his shows etc... Razz

Ooohh..... You like opening up cans of worms, don't you, D.L.?!
Don't worry, bro. I'm wit cha and got your back! Wink

12Royster Empty Re: Royster Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Just stating fact D...hahaa!

I used to slight Ringo back in the day...until i tried to play what he did and make it FEEL like he does..
He's one of a kind and a true legend.

AAAWWOOOO!!! hahaha-

13Royster Empty Re: Royster Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

D.L. Believe it or not, one of the songs the Chiefs used to play
was "Come together". That drum part was not the easiest to
execute while getting the proper feel across. Ringo's contribution
with the Beetles is paramount. He made it all work. And that goes
far beyond the fact that he was a Beetle.

14Royster Empty Re: Royster Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:25 pm

rarebit

Daveonskins wrote:Just stating fact D...hahaa!

I used to slight Ringo back in the day...until i tried to play what he did and make it FEEL like he does..
He's one of a kind and a true legend.

AAAWWOOOO!!! hahaha-

Here Comes The Sun. The bridge part does some pretty interesting things time signature-wise (11/8 + 4/4 + 7/Cool, but he plays it so well and so for the music.

15Royster Empty Re: Royster Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Racman

Racman

An Unfortunate and Scary Standard

What can I say but yes the man has it and I've got to give him that. The unfortunate part is that whether T.R. is aware of it he is setting a unrealistic and scary standard for upcoming drummers. I say unfortunate because most will not attain to that level. And secondly, in the process of young drummers placing all their energy into aspiring to that level of performance they would miss that which is essentially important and that is to being musical. The preservation of the music industry needs musicians not over-confident show offs. Not that T.R is but I'm just making a point.
But I'll end with this. - mr. Royster JR needs to age and lets check back on that if we tarry long enough.

But thank you for that video. I found it a bit of a drag...but somewhat entertaining.

Hooting my two.cents
[size=18]Rac
[/size]

http://www.glennracoma.com

16Royster Empty Re: Royster Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 pm

spanky

spanky

Well you cats know that I love the guy. He has his place in the drumming world. not everyone is going to like him, but there are many of us that does. He is one heck of a player to learn from.

17Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 am

rarebit

Just in case you missed this one-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEe4-ZtjnT0

18Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 am

spanky

spanky

No we did not miss that one, I posted it a few months ago.

19Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 am

kenny

kenny

i think some people are either jealous of this man, frustrated with their own abilities in comparison, or think they know what is right for everyone. Unfortunately for them they make themselves look weak. tony is excellent if you don't like him don't listen to him and ignore these posts because you make yourself look infantile by dissing him. he is awesome that's all there is to it. we don't need anybody's negative comments because tony is well respected and can back it up. If you would like to see him change to adapt to something you deem more respectable too bad for you. not gonna happen. if you don't like the style he represents that's your choice but he's doing fine and on his path and nobody else will change that. if you wish he sounded more like david garibaldi or steve gadd that's unfortunate. he plays like tony Royster jr monster drummer. Go listen to your ernie and bert videos and wring your hands or better yet go practice your drums and maybe you will be 1/100th as good as tony royster jr someday. my 2 cents

20Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Nobody said he wasn't a good player in Any of the posts. We all know he can blow on the drums, but he seems to do one thing all the time. Sure he's got chops...so do I...

I think your missing the point Kenny..we all respect the guy for what he does, but we all think it would be great to see him play MUSIC!!.. and not rythymic loops to chop over for 20 min at a time...it gets old..fast...I don't think I know whats right for everyone...I know whats right for ME..and that ain't it!!

This forum is for entertainment, education, and OPINIONS..remember that......Oh and I have way more fun watching Bert and Ernie... Razz

21Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:47 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thank you, Dave!!!! You hit it square, man!

It's a question of some seeing only what they want to see. No one ever said (at least I didn't) that
they didn't like what Tony did. I have said the exact opposite! I think this young man is inspiring.
But it's exactly as you say, it's the same old thing from the same old platform. It's not about playing
music it's about blowing chops... And that's cool.... But all the damn time?! Okay, Tony, wonderful....
What else you got? How would you accompany a saxophonist playing the melody of "The Girl From
Ipanema"? Are you able to simply hold it down and allow the music to have IT'S say? Can you play
in such a way that points to the overall picture rather than one area of it (yours)? I have asked
several times for ANYONE to post such a clip with him doing that.... I'm STILL waiting.

"Excellent"? Okay, explain to me just what he's excellent at in your opinion...? What styles, what tempos,
what genres? Is he a well rounded player, if so, based on what? Opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't
it? Oh, wait a minute, he can solo and he's got chops... Oops, My bad. Rolling Eyes... If only it were that simple.

And let me just clear something up for you, Kenny.... Each day I am happy and content where my drumming
skills are and I am neither jealous or envious of ANYONE! Nor am I frustrated with my playing. I strive to be
better everyday and each day I achieve that goal to some degree, and I couldn't be more pleased with that.

Something else that you might want to try and wrap your head around is that this is a call and response style forum.
The call is put out either by way of comments or some other means and that subject matter is automatically open
to any and all responses and opinions. So in such cases it's not simply a matter of not listening to the clips or ignoring
the posts, no more than it is when YOU respond to OUR responses. But I think D.L. covered this area quite nicely as well,
so, let's move on.

Okay, let me say it again, I like what Tony does but I know that there's more to playing the drums than blowing monster
chops and soloing all the time, and in the same style. It's gonna take a LOT more before I consider putting him among
the top 5, 10 or 100 drummers in the world... I mean, really!.. Rolling Eyes

And if that makes me a jealous and/or a frustrated player in your book, well, IOWNG CARE! afro

But there is one thing I do agree with you on, Kenny.... Your comments were definitely worth "2 cents".

22Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Do you guys honestly believe that guys like Tony Royster or Thomas Lang can't hold time or play something simply ??? Come on, you know better than that.

Can I produce a clilp or them doing something other than chop fest ? NO I can't but that's only because I am limited to what's up there on You Tube.

I can't answer why Lang doesn't do things other than clinics. You'd have to ask him. Perhaps its because playing back-up doesn't pay as well as the clinics do.

Tony currently plays with Jay z. Not my cup of tea musically but he plays simply in that context from what I've seen , and gets a solo spot to let loose.

Maybe you don't remember but critics and reviewers used to say the same thing about Boomer and also John McLaughlin - that they overplay, that they play too fast, that they can't swing, etc. And you know what, all of that is horse poop.

The opposite argument has also been used many, many times. People say that Clapton says more in one note than others say in hundreds. I understand what they're saying. And there's a touch of validity to that. But for those who say that Clapton is more expressive than John McLaughlin , I find that ludicrous - and I don't mean the rapper, either.

The same is to be said of the musician with chops versus those who don't have, or don't use them. I don't have anywhere near the chops of a Boomer, a Lang, or a Royster. So when I see or hear them, I like to hear something special, something beyond the ordinary. That , I find entertaining.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

23Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

I don't think the point is getting across here..of course Tony could play a simple beat, and yes I have seen him perform with Jay Z.
He did really well with it along with all the backing tracks ,explosions, guest "rappers", dancers, etc,etc...
It would be great to see him be in a real band playing real songs, minus all the crap.. I would love to hear that-- As big as Jay Z is, I don't consider him at all when thinking about great artists.

There's a Big difference between what tony does and what Billy did entirely. I wouldn't even dare make a comparison in any way. Billy was and still is a groundbreaker..an innovator, a composer, and a monster MUSICIAN.

When Billy and John were doing what they were doing,.. how they were doing it, they were INVENTING it..and the critics who didn't understand it had nothing else to go on in comparison. How could they understand really?

I don't see many drummers doing that today at all..Or many players in general...maybe they're out there somewhere, but with no backing or exposure because of the state of the industry. There's no labels out there taking any chances anymore and developing great new talent...just 22 year old reps finding the next version of the same shlock...with a different haircut...unfortunately, Tony falls into this among the gospel types...If you just played me 3 or 4 different gospel ''jams'' and I only heard them without seeing...I couldn't tell you who the hell was playing...really...

And the magazines focusing on the same handful of drummers who already have established themselves is killing itself....
So Tony can play chops around most of us here...he's not forging an original identity..and that's sad, cause he's got the goods to do it..It's not that I don't like the guy...It just seems that he's not really using his gifts to making something really great and original......I'm gonna go get my next copy of Modern Drummer now, so I can see Travis Barker's new stickbag and clothing line for the spring fashions.....I really need that....pure inspiration for me... scratch

24Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Do you guys honestly believe that guys like Tony Royster or Thomas Lang can't hold time or play something simply ??? Come on, you know better than that.

Ted, I have a question for your question..... Who ever said that?
I certainly didn't and I certainly don't recall D.L. saying it either.
But I would love to hear the both of them do it. The question of
"can't" was never an issue with me.

As D.L. already pointed out, Billy is one of the pioneers and in my
opinion is one of the last 4 players of this generation to change
the face and the approach to drumming. How can anyone even
begin to place Tony in that catagory? But, that being said, by his
own admission Billy has talked about much of his playing being
over the top and a bit much.

When those comments about Tony Williams were made by Billy,
many missed the fact that his conclusion of Tony's playing approach
was based and mirrored on his own approach and how he changed
his concept to be what he deemed more musical, supporting and
accomadating.

So regardless how great we may have thought Billy's playing
was, he himself felt the need for a different outlook and you
can surely hear this in his work today. So just maybe, some
of the critics were onto something.

What Tony does is very entertaining, but it has it's limits and it's
just been played out... I just want to hear what else he can do,
I'm not saying that he "can't" do it... I'd just like to hear it.

I can't see why that's such a problem with some.

25Royster Empty Re: Royster Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

rarebit

OK, here's one where he's playing rather simply. There are a lot of white people in the audience. Just an observation. I don't know what it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQCJ8-NxCg

Here's another where he's playing rock-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmvZiPoy-84

I can't find any big band, ballad/brushes, trad. jazz trio stuff from him yet...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum